PDA

View Full Version : RBI Hawk scroll saw

Gary Herrmann
01-02-2008, 6:18 PM
A guy I work with has one (20" I think) and may be looking to sell it. He said he probably has less than 10-15 hours on it.

I haven't done much scrolling, but I could see an advantage to having it for some upcoming projects.

We just talked about it briefly, but he said he would want 500-600 for it.

Good deal? What sort of gotchas should I look out for with scroll saws?

Bill Pentz
01-02-2008, 6:42 PM
A guy I work with has one (20" I think) and may be looking to sell it. He said he probably has less than 10-15 hours on it.

I haven't done much scrolling, but I could see an advantage to having it for some upcoming projects.

We just talked about it briefly, but he said he would want 500-600 for it.

Good deal? What sort of gotchas should I look out for with scroll saws?

Gary,

I own one of the RBI scroll saws and it has served me well for nearly fifteen years as it is a very well built machine. When I bought it the DeWalt was not yet available and I wanted far better quality than the other small units so for me it then came down to the RBI and Hegner. The newer units come with variable speed motors and blade holders that you can finger tighten. If this saw does not have these newer features then I think it is overpriced.

Take a look at Rick's scrollsaw at http://www.scrollsaw.com for more information than you probably ever wanted to know.

bill

James Jones
01-02-2008, 6:53 PM
Gary,

If you can get him to go no more than $550.00 then it is a really good deal.You can try for $500.00 but the new price for the 20" is $997.00. I just bought a new G4 26" Hawk just because I wanted a new saw. I have an older Model RBI 226 Hawk that has been going strong for 12 years without any problems. I replaced the rubber bellows for dust blowing that I ruptured with too much air pressure from my compressor when blowing out the hose just as routine maint. I think they are probably one of the most trouble free scrollsaws on the market today. It is like a timex. "Takes a licking and keeps on ticking."If he has the foot control get him to include that in the price. Get a magnifying light for it also.You will really like the saw. Contact Mike and get plenty of Flying Dutchman blades for it. Happy scrolling.

JamesHuntsville

Michael Short
01-02-2008, 6:58 PM
Gary,

There is a guy in Ofallon that had one that size for $440, advertising 3 hours on it. Not sure if he still has it but might give you a reference on pricing.

Here is the link to it.

http://stlouis.craigslist.org/tls/526256774.html

Michael Short
01-02-2008, 7:00 PM
Gary,

The RBI in my previous link was from today. The link for a few weeks back in Fesuts and here is the link it. Still in the same price range.

http://stlouis.craigslist.org/tls/497554076.html

Later.

Gary Herrmann
01-02-2008, 8:07 PM
Wow, thanks Michael.

Buck Sloan
06-03-2012, 9:06 PM
I have an RBI 20 scroll saw that we bought in 1993 and it has been run a lot and it is still in top noch shape, the good thing is that any part on this saw can be found in most hardware stores as they are all made in the USA have replaced 2 shoulder bolts one time and the speed control was off once but that is an easy fix too. ours has 2 sets of legs one thats 6 in. high and the 36in legs also, this has been a great tool and I would not sell it very cheep.

John McClanahan
06-03-2012, 10:17 PM
I know they were expensive when new, but I see them from time to time on Kansas City craigslist for around $300.

A couple of years ago I watched on sell at a storage auction for $50.:eek: I didn't need it or have room for it, or it would have been mine.