PDA

View Full Version : Automobile Problem

Carl Eyman
01-02-2008, 3:23 PM
Way off topic, but with so many wise people here I bet I'll get an answer.

Yesterday, New Year's, I went out got in the car to run an errand. Discovering I didn't have my car keys in my pocket, but did have the spare key on my other keychain I put it into the ignition. This is a duplicate I'd had made to guard against locking myself out of car. The car is a 2005 Dodge Caravan. The car at first wouldn't start -turned over, but didn't catch. After flooring accelerator to correct a flooding condition, pumping the accelerator to pump gas into carburator (which I forgot it didn't hve} it would start but die in a matter of seconds.

Strangely, when it did catch the tachometer redlined and the speedometer indicated maybe 100 mph though we were standing still with transmission in "park". I don't think the actual rpms exceeded maybe 2000.

Well after wondering what I was going to do on a holiday to find transportation I went into the house fuming and sputtering. I said to my wife, "I know this won't work, but I'll try it anyway". I found the regular car keys, tried again, and all was well. I drove over to the store without problem.

Is this some kind of an anti=theft feature - that a duplicate key won't let you start the car? And how in the world can it work? The key unlocks the steering wheel and allows the starter to turn over the engine.

Please enlighten me!

Karl Laustrup
01-02-2008, 3:36 PM
No expert on Chrysler products Carl, but I do know GM at one time made their ignition keys with a special doo dad attached which was supposed to ensure that someone without the key couldn't drive off.

Check with your dealer. They should know.

Karl

Ken Fitzgerald
01-02-2008, 3:48 PM
Carl....I have a Chrysler T&C and that's an anti-theft protecton IIRC. It's designed so you can have a spare made but it will only get you into the car's interior to retrieved the one's you locked in the car. If you buy a manufacturer's replacement....from the dealer...it costs about $100 and has to be programmed for your car. There's a "chip"...in the key itself that has to be programmed.

Greg Cole
01-02-2008, 4:04 PM
What Ken said. The chip has to be coded for your vehicle.

Cheers.

Greg

Rick Gifford
01-02-2008, 4:04 PM
Your regular key has a chip in it, the copy doesnt. Some are setup so the car can operate with a maximum of about 3 times on a duplicate in case of emergency/lost key etc.

Others dont have that courteous feature.

I recommend having a proper duplicate (expensive!) made and hide it inside the vehicle, maybe taped behind the back wall of the glove box when its opened. Use the basic copy for entry. In a worse case if your out of town and lose your keys you can break a window, get the key and drive somewhere.

Dont recommend hiding the good copy outside the vehicle. Thieves know about those magnetic hideaways used for extra keys.

Mitchell Andrus
01-02-2008, 4:14 PM
WOW! I've been driving Chrisler minivans since 1987 and haven't heard of this. Good to know.

Joe Pelonio
01-02-2008, 4:56 PM
My '07 Ranger has this feature too, the new keys are like $20 from the dealer programmed but you can buy a blank for less and program it yourself in the car. It sounds like in your situation it was wanting you to program it. I think these came out about 1998 and were mainly optional on American and less expensive foreign cars, standard on high end foreign. Now they are fairly standard for all cars and the newest thing is keyless, where the fob communicates with the car's computer and you just have to keep it in your pocket, the doors unlock as you approach, and you press a button on the dash to start it up.

Cadillac, Mercedes and BMW even store data by fob so that certain settings for things like the power tilt/telescopic steering wheel position, radio/HVAC settings, outside mirror position and navigation information are changed depending on which driver is in it.

Jim Becker
01-02-2008, 5:56 PM
Yea, and it's a good idea not to lose your keys these days...new ones are expensive. Same with the "clicker" fob...ching...ching! $$$$

Daryl Upole
01-03-2008, 7:15 AM
Yes, these keys are a pain!! I use Cadillac & Ford F150 owners forums a lot.. They are very good. What I found out, as someone said, you can get the keys yourself - I got the F150 ones on ebay. Then have any local place cut them for you. You program them yourself. Usually, if you have two working keys, you can program additional keys yourself (for Ford anyway). Your owner's manual may have the programing procedure in it. IF not, I got my keys from Amazing Keys on ebay and they sent the programming instructions with the keys. Saved me a bundle over the dealer. Whenever I get a "different" (can't afford new) car I always get at least 2 spare keys immediately. In the last five years, these spares have saved me at least 3 times. Once when we were 600 miles from home.

PS I did the same thing you did with my F150 when I first got it. I wondered what was wrong when it turned over like crazy and would not start - it was the plain key.

Greg Narozniak
01-03-2008, 10:24 AM
When we picked up our 07 Odyssey they only had one 'regular" key and the Valet key. They said they would order one and it would be a week.

I went in to pick it up and the parts guy says "That will be $383.25" with a shocked look I said "Are you &*#$@&$ crazy?" Then I explained that it was the dealer who lost the key. This was due to the anti theft chip embedded in the key. They checked with the salesman and it was cleared but I guess we will not be losing either of those keys anytime soon. WOW! Times change from when I was an ASE tech.

mark page
01-03-2008, 8:59 PM
Carl,
I just wrapped my 22 yrs in auto service business with Chrysler for the last 5 years. Yes, it is a Passkey security system. Good thing you stopped cranking and trying to start the vehicle when you did or it will go into lock-out mode for at least an hour. Then you would have to have a known good key with key-on position for an hour before the system would let you start the vehicle. If you have two good pass-keys you can self program more up to a maximum of four total to the system. If you only have one, then the dealer or someone with a factory DRB system that has access to PIN numbers for your VIN number will have to program a new one to your vehicle. If you need your PIN number, I should still have access to the system as I was an aftermarket subscriber, but you will still need someone with a DRB to program. PM me if you need the PIN number. I would need your email address, and your complete VIN number, plus a scan of your "pink slip" or title to prove ownership. I do not need a complete scan of your pink slip, just enough info for vin and your name, I do not need complete address, etc, etc, etc. None of my business where you live, etc, but is a legal liability if good info given to a bad party. Just a CYA type thing.
Hope this helps, Mark

Tom Godley
01-03-2008, 10:35 PM
I own a transportation company and first ran into this as early as 1985 -- the systems are much more complex today.

Most people have no idea how much it costs to replace a key - not surprising the keys with the control "all-in-one" are the most money.

Up until just a few years ago many cars came with a "valet" key -- Lexus and MB went one better and gave you a wallet key in addition to the valet key -- most now have done away with all of them.

When we purchase a new car I always make sure I include a extra key in the price from the get go. Normally they just charge you the dealer cost for the key. Some dealers charge over +$120 just to do the setup for the replacement.