PDA

View Full Version : Elliptical Exerciser Advice

Gary Keedwell
01-02-2008, 3:11 PM
I have a Nordic ski machine that I have been using for 20 years. It has been good to us but am now looking for an elliptical machine. The reason I use machine is because I used to be a jogger but killed my heels.
Costo.com has a machine that has $400 off and will deliver for $1300. There is a store around 50 miles from me that sells Vision Fitness and Nautilus. The later 2 for around $2000-2300.
Does anybody know these machines or have any advice on elliptical product. I want to spend the money for quality as this will be my last exercise machine I will buy forever. Gee...does Festool make exercise machines:o:)
Gary

Pat Germain
01-02-2008, 3:48 PM
When it comes to exercise machines, the type of resistance makes all the difference. What kind of resistance does the machine use? If it's magnetic, great! If it's wind, via fans of some kind, that's probably OK. If the resistance is created by some kind of clamps on a wheel, a small wheel that pushes against a large, rubber wheel, or a cloth strap on a wheel, I'd be reluctant. If the resistance is via hydraulic or pnuematic cylinders, like small car shocks, I'd look elsewhere immediately.

That's just my take.

David G Baker
01-02-2008, 3:48 PM
I haven't any idea about the Elliptical Exerciser but I go to a lot of garage sales and find very expensive exercise equipment for pennies on the dollar. I used the Nordic ski machine for several months, had knee surgery, went back to the Nordic after I recovered and could not get the hang of it again after trying for several weeks.
Do an Epinions dot com search on the Elliptical Exerciser for information from people that have experienced the Exerciser.
If the Nordic Ski machine has worked for you why change. I felt it was a great device when I was using it. I have seen brand new Nordic Ski machines at garage sales for $25. I couldn't believe it, I paid around $300 for mine used.

Zahid Naqvi
01-02-2008, 4:09 PM
Nordic Track makes some of the better home exercise machines. They frequently get very high customer feedback. Try this site (http://www.ellipticaltrainerreview.com/). Not sure about their financial affiliations, sometimes that can sway the reviews towards certain makers.
Nautilus is probably commercial grade, which makes it better, I have seen some of their stuff at our local YMCA.

Gary Keedwell
01-02-2008, 6:02 PM
Nordic Track makes some of the better home exercise machines. They frequently get very high customer feedback. Try this site (http://www.ellipticaltrainerreview.com/). Not sure about their financial affiliations, sometimes that can sway the reviews towards certain makers.
Nautilus is probably commercial grade, which makes it better, I have seen some of their stuff at our local YMCA.
Zahid...http://www.free-animations.co.uk/messages/cool/images/cool_5.gif Thanks man..That is a great site. I've been looking all over the net for that. I knew I should have come to the Creek first.:eek:

Gary

Gary Herrmann
01-02-2008, 6:11 PM
Can't speak to their ellipticals, but I've had a Vision exercise bike for 6+ years. Very high quality machine, haven't had a single problem with it, and I used to ride it 4-5 days per week. Trying to get back there...:rolleyes:

Gary Keedwell
01-02-2008, 6:15 PM
When it comes to exercise machines, the type of resistance makes all the difference. What kind of resistance does the machine use? If it's magnetic, great! If it's wind, via fans of some kind, that's probably OK. If the resistance is created by some kind of clamps on a wheel, a small wheel that pushes against a large, rubber wheel, or a cloth strap on a wheel, I'd be reluctant. If the resistance is via hydraulic or pnuematic cylinders, like small car shocks, I'd look elsewhere immediately.

That's just my take.
Pat...I bought my Nordic Cross Country ski machine in 1987 for around $500...Come to about 25 bucks a year. It has the strap between two wheels (Flywheel) and I think the only thing I replaced is the nylon strap and that only took a couple of minutes.
Today is the first I ever heard of the magnetic resistance. Does it hold up alright? Will I get 20 years out of it?. (if it does...I'll be 78 years young;)) Zahid gave me a great link so I'll be checking it out. Wow, this brings back memories from 20 years ago.:eek:;)
Gary

Gary Keedwell
01-02-2008, 6:20 PM
I haven't any idea about the Elliptical Exerciser but I go to a lot of garage sales and find very expensive exercise equipment for pennies on the dollar. I used the Nordic ski machine for several months, had knee surgery, went back to the Nordic after I recovered and could not get the hang of it again after trying for several weeks.
Do an Epinions dot com search on the Elliptical Exerciser for information from people that have experienced the Exerciser.
If the Nordic Ski machine has worked for you why change. I felt it was a great device when I was using it. I have seen brand new Nordic Ski machines at garage sales for $25. I couldn't believe it, I paid around $300 for mine used.
Change...After 20 years LOML and I figure it is time for something different. I've had some feeling loss on my feet and think it might have something to do with the repetition. I picked up a nordic down the street that was like brand new for a few bucks for the parts but haven't needed it.
Gary

Pat Germain
01-02-2008, 7:32 PM
Pat...I bought my Nordic Cross Country ski machine in 1987 for around $500...Come to about 25 bucks a year. It has the strap between two wheels (Flywheel) and I think the only thing I replaced is the nylon strap and that only took a couple of minutes.
Today is the first I ever heard of the magnetic resistance. Does it hold up alright? Will I get 20 years out of it?. (if it does...I'll be 78 years young;)) Zahid gave me a great link so I'll be checking it out. Wow, this brings back memories from 20 years ago.:eek:;)
Gary

No guarantees, but yes, I think a good machine with magnetic resistance will last a very long time. The resistance mechanism is kind of like a generator. It's used in high-end bicycle ergometers, rowing machines, and other high-end exercise machines. If you try such a machine, I think you'll like how it feels. It's very similar to the real thing.

Ted Calver
01-02-2008, 8:39 PM
Gary,
I had to quit running to save my knees and back. You are on the right track looking at the ellipticals. I've had the Life fitness X9i for about five years. If you can afford it, it is a club quality machine that is smooth, quiet and virtually indestructable.

Ted Shrader
01-02-2008, 8:53 PM
Gary -

The comments abouts types of resistance are valid. Magnetic is the best.

The action of the machine is even more important. I have been on a variety of different ellipse machines through gym membership and travel (hotel exercise rooms). Some of them are really awful and makes one wonder if they were designed for use by actual human beings. Basically YOU need to get on any elliptical that you are considering and see how each feels to you. Just like buying a tool - there are several good options for each, but you will like one better than the others because of feel.

Good luck,
Ted

Mark Singer
01-02-2008, 8:54 PM
I spend 30 minutes on a Precor at the gym every morning. I really love it!

Tom Maple
01-02-2008, 8:56 PM
The February Consumer's Report arrived today and they rate various elliptical machines. You can find it in the periodical section at most libraries.

Gary Keedwell
01-02-2008, 9:25 PM
The February Consumer's Report arrived today and they rate various elliptical machines. You can find it in the periodical section at most libraries.
Oh great...I've subscribed to CR for over 20 years. We should get it this week in the mail.

Thanks!!!!!

Gary

Gary Keedwell
01-02-2008, 9:35 PM
I spend 30 minutes on a Precor at the gym every morning. I really love it!
Unfortunetly gyms usually buy expensive commercial grade machines, but I'm sure they must sell (Precor) for the home, too? I'm going to take Ted's advice and try a few before I decide. I workout religiously 3 times a week and expect to put on alot of miles.:)
Gary

Christopher Stahl
01-02-2008, 10:05 PM
If you're interested in a high end elliptical, then you should find a business that sells Octane Fitness. I bought an Octane Q45ce in August and we couldn't be happier. We travelled all over the countryside testing ellipticals until we found this. We tried all the models available from Life Fitness, Precor, Vision, SportsArt, etc. They were all pretty good, but the Octane is light years ahead of all the others. Octane only makes Elliptical machines and they do it quite well. These are commercial units they sell for home use. You'll know what I mean when you step on it. The price tag, however, is quite a bit higher than the others.

We just built a gym in our home over the summer and decided to spend some money on commercial fitness equipment and gym system. It's a good investment for my wife and I since we use the equipment nearly everyday. I wouldn't make that kind of investment unless you truly plan to use the equipment.

SportsArt makes some very good equipment also. We bought their C52r recumbent cycle and it's amazing. They also make an elliptical that we tested and it was pretty nice to.

Gary Keedwell
01-02-2008, 10:20 PM
If you're interested in a high end elliptical, then you should find a business that sells Octane Fitness. I bought an Octane Q45ce in August and we couldn't be happier. We travelled all over the countryside testing ellipticals until we found this. We tried all the models available from Life Fitness, Precor, Vision, SportsArt, etc. They were all pretty good, but the Octane is light years ahead of all the others. Octane only makes Elliptical machines and they do it quite well. These are commercial units they sell for home use. You'll know what I mean when you step on it. The price tag, however, is quite a bit higher than the others.

We just built a gym in our home over the summer and decided to spend some money on commercial fitness equipment and gym system. It's a good investment for my wife and I since we use the equipment nearly everyday. I wouldn't make that kind of investment unless you truly plan to use the equipment.

SportsArt makes some very good equipment also. We bought their C52r recumbent cycle and it's amazing. They also make an elliptical that we tested and it was pretty nice to.
Not impressed...but thanks:rolleyes::)

Gary

John-Paul Murphy
01-02-2008, 10:32 PM
Precor makes a great machine the 556 is a good cross country/trainer style.

Brandi Dentice
01-03-2008, 9:28 AM
I have a NordicTrack CXT 980 that I bought almost 5 years ago from Sears. Was well priced and they delivered and set it up (around 950 at the time). I've used it almost every day since I've had it and it works wonderfully well and has held up to some fairly aggressive workouts.

I'm somewhat biased to NordicTrack for ellipticals -but I will tell you to also see if you have any places in your area that sell "second-hand" machines (I can't think of the name of the store here that does that but will look) - nonetheless they take machines that are lightly used. How many people do you know that have bought something and use it to hang their coat? They take 'em to stores like this and you can get some phenominal deals on really nice, current machines! Just a thought.

Good luck!

David G Baker
01-03-2008, 9:46 AM
There are several stores in the area of California where I once lived that sold used exercise equipment. The prices were great and the condition of the equipment was near new in most cases and came with a guarantee from the store that they were very good about.
A good area to look is in areas that have a lot of senior citizens because they buy a lot of the equipment and find out that they don't use it.

Al Wasser
01-03-2008, 10:42 AM
Take a look at Consumers Reports (mine came yesterday). They review several different exercise machines

Gary Keedwell
01-03-2008, 5:46 PM
A used machine is certainly a great option. My Consumer Reports hasn't come yet. I've been a member for over 20 years..I hope I renewed.:eek:
Gary

Jack Hogoboom
01-03-2008, 9:15 PM
Gary,

You must try it before you buy it. I bought one about a year ago and tried several before I did. One of the key issues, at least in my experience, is the way your foot travels as you complete the elliptical cycle. Some have the toe go way up, others have the heel go way up, some have the foot relatively flat. There were several that I couldn't stay on for more than 30 seconds before my foot started to hurt.

Also, be careful if you are going to use it for more than 20-25 minutes a day. My feet always seem to go numb after that time. People have suggested reversing the pedaling (i.e. pedal backwards) but it feels really awkward to me.

I also have a recumbent bike and a treadmill. I use the treadmill almost all the time, although I too am having heel trouble. My issue is bone spurs, what was yours?

Good luck with the purchase!!

Jack

Gary Keedwell
01-03-2008, 10:58 PM
Gary,

You must try it before you buy it. I bought one about a year ago and tried several before I did. One of the key issues, at least in my experience, is the way your foot travels as you complete the elliptical cycle. Some have the toe go way up, others have the heel go way up, some have the foot relatively flat. There were several that I couldn't stay on for more than 30 seconds before my foot started to hurt.

Also, be careful if you are going to use it for more than 20-25 minutes a day. My feet always seem to go numb after that time. People have suggested reversing the pedaling (i.e. pedal backwards) but it feels really awkward to me.

I also have a recumbent bike and a treadmill. I use the treadmill almost all the time, although I too am having heel trouble. My issue is bone spurs, what was yours?

Good luck with the purchase!!

Jack Jack
It has been about ten years, but I think my problem was spurs,too. At the time my job required me to be on my feet on cement floors for 10 hours a day. Between my job, jogging and working on my house something had to give. I used to only use my ski machine in the winter but started using it all year round. I loved to jog but I had to give up something because my heels were killing me.
LOML and I are heading to the stores this weekend to try a few out. Thanks for the advice.
Gary

David G Baker
01-04-2008, 12:19 AM
My heels were so bad that I had trouble getting up in the middle of the night and walking. The pain was horrible. I was doing physical therapy for a chronic muscle spasm in my back and mentioned the pain in my heels to the therapist. He told me to get a block of wood about the thickness of a brick, stand on the block with the tips of my toes and lift my weight on my tip toes as high as I could. Do the exercise ten times. I did this exercise every day for about a month and haven't been bothered by the heel pain since. This took place around 15 years ago. My problem was not spurs. I don't remember what the muscle or tendon was called but it runs from the lower calf in the back of the leg to the area just behind the toes.

Anthony Anderson
01-04-2008, 1:18 AM
Gary, We have a Nordic Track CX1055. I love this machine. I don't like the treadmill, but it does give me the best cardio workout. But often I turn to the elliptical, just because I don't dread working out so much. The CX1055 has a bunch of different programs that allow me to mix up the workouts so it does not become too boring. It is a magnetic machine. We have had it about 3 years, and no problems. I believe the CX1055 was around $1,000, but well worth it IMO, and is a bargain compared to what the upper end machines cost. Good Luck, Bill

Gary Keedwell
01-04-2008, 6:33 AM
My heels were so bad that I had trouble getting up in the middle of the night and walking. The pain was horrible. I was doing physical therapy for a chronic muscle spasm in my back and mentioned the pain in my heels to the therapist. He told me to get a block of wood about the thickness of a brick, stand on the block with the tips of my toes and lift my weight on my tip toes as high as I could. Do the exercise ten times. I did this exercise every day for about a month and haven't been bothered by the heel pain since. This took place around 15 years ago. My problem was not spurs. I don't remember what the muscle or tendon was called but it runs from the lower calf in the back of the leg to the area just behind the toes.
David...Thanks for the heads up..That is definetly something to consider and the price is just right.( Wood);)
Gary

Gary Keedwell
01-04-2008, 6:35 AM
Gary, We have a Nordic Track CX1055. I love this machine. I don't like the treadmill, but it does give me the best cardio workout. But often I turn to the elliptical, just because I don't dread working out so much. The CX1055 has a bunch of different programs that allow me to mix up the workouts so it does not become too boring. It is a magnetic machine. We have had it about 3 years, and no problems. I believe the CX1055 was around $1,000, but well worth it IMO, and is a bargain compared to what the upper end machines cost. Good Luck, Bill
Bill.. I'm goimg to write that model down and it will be on my try-out list, Thanks.

Gary

John Newell
01-04-2008, 12:14 PM
I had (still have) a 1984 Nordic Track that I finally retired two years ago in favor of an elliptical. It's been a very satisfactory replacement. Unlike the NT, everyone in the family uses (and likes) the elliptical. We bought a LifeFitness x3i on sale. It wasn't cheap, but we (ranging from 5-6 wife to 6-5 self plus two boys in between) all liked how it felt (position of pedals, levers, etc. and range of motion). It's whisper-quiet, so it has moved upstairs. We subsequently bought a LF recumbent bike to replace the old road bike-cum-trainer that was horribly noisey. We've had very good luck and results with both LF machines.

alex adkison
01-04-2008, 3:44 PM

A second on the Octane. Built like a tank, smoothest motion by far. Also the distance between the treads is far closer than any other. With my wife at under 5ft it makes a big difference in comfort.
My family owned a gym and we had the Precor machines when they first became available. Really nice machines however I hear the quality has not kept up over the years.

Gary Keedwell
01-04-2008, 4:49 PM
I had (still have) a 1984 Nordic Track that I finally retired two years ago in favor of an elliptical. It's been a very satisfactory replacement. Unlike the NT, everyone in the family uses (and likes) the elliptical. We bought a LifeFitness x3i on sale. It wasn't cheap, but we (ranging from 5-6 wife to 6-5 self plus two boys in between) all liked how it felt (position of pedals, levers, etc. and range of motion). It's whisper-quiet, so it has moved upstairs. We subsequently bought a LF recumbent bike to replace the old road bike-cum-trainer that was horribly noisey. We've had very good luck and results with both LF machines.
John...Life Fitness is on our list of equipment we are trying out this weekend...Thanks....
Gary

Christopher Stahl
01-04-2008, 5:23 PM
A second on the Octane. Built like a tank, smoothest motion by far. Also the distance between the treads is far closer than any other. With my wife at under 5ft it makes a big difference in comfort.
My family owned a gym and we had the Precor machines when they first became available. Really nice machines however I hear the quality has not kept up over the years.

Alex, glad to hear somebody else uses the Octane. Not many people know about them.

John-Paul Murphy
01-04-2008, 6:28 PM
I saw some excellent recommendations here like the angle of the walking surface (pedal) and the stride of the unit.
When I was looking at them, the models that had an incline feature changed the angle of the pedal to simulate the incline. Also during assembly several models had a series of holes in the pedal that allowed you to tune the angle during assembly. You should check with the manufacturer’s rep because most of the sales people in the field that I spoke to are not aware of this feature.
The second is stride adjustment. It is very important (at least for us). I am 6’3” my wife 5’4”. Some units are easily adjustable for stride, some are preset at assembly and some are not adjustable. Again I can not remember which ones were which.
Happy hunting this weekend

Gary Keedwell
01-04-2008, 7:57 PM
I saw some excellent recommendations here like the angle of the walking surface (pedal) and the stride of the unit.
When I was looking at them, the models that had an incline feature changed the angle of the pedal to simulate the incline. Also during assembly several models had a series of holes in the pedal that allowed you to tune the angle during assembly. You should check with the manufacturer’s rep because most of the sales people in the field that I spoke to are not aware of this feature.
The second is stride adjustment. It is very important (at least for us). I am 6’3” my wife 5’4”. Some units are easily adjustable for stride, some are preset at assembly and some are not adjustable. Again I can not remember which ones were which.
Thanks for the heads up Mr. Murphy...I'll inquire about that feature while I'm there.
Gary

John Newell
01-04-2008, 8:59 PM

This is not to disagree but to say that there is room for personally different conclusions here -- we (6-5 and 5-6) looked at, and tried out, models with adjustable stride and didn't find it compelling at all, so skipped it. YMMV!

John Newell
02-02-2008, 2:58 PM
Gary, what did you wind up doing?

Gary Keedwell
02-02-2008, 3:42 PM
John, thanks for asking. LOML and I went to a Life Fitness store (actually they do sell other makes) and we think were going to go with that manufacturer. WE have tried others at stores like Sears, and were not impressed with the cheaper makes.
Time restraints have prevented us from actually purchasing anything yet but we think were going with the X5. I started a new job but things are starting to settle down and we should be with a new exercise machine within a month or two. We are still working out with our 21 year old Nordic track, though.:)

Gary

Bob Rufener
02-02-2008, 3:56 PM
I don't use an elliptical but I might suggest talking to a physical therapist or going to an exercise center or hospital rehab facility. Talk to the people there about what is good. I'm sure they buy very good equipment and I am sure they would be an exceptional resource.