PDA

View Full Version : Ideas for a memorial plaque..Help

Ron Nametko
01-02-2008, 3:07 PM
Hi everyone,

I'm hoping that you fellow creekers could help me out. I'm looking for ideas for a memorial plaque that I was asked to help create. Being a newbie, I was hoping to get different ideas on how to make a professional memorial plaque. They would like to have the eulogies (attached..) engraved as well as a picture of the deceased.(I have not received it yet)

I'm looking for any ideas on type of materials to use and maybe even layout ideas.

I'm sorry that the text is difficult to follow but that is what they sent me.

THANK YOU

Ron Nametko
35 watt ULS & photograv

Mike Hood
01-02-2008, 3:16 PM
I guess it depends. Indoors, outdoors, size, weather exposed, etc.

Sounds like you might be talking about a granite memorial?

Joe Pelonio
01-02-2008, 3:20 PM
Do you know how they are going to use it?

I have done a few of those, you can scan a copy of the eulogy, or type it in.
I have done several on 12" black marble or granite tiles, with text and the photographs. In some cases they were mounted on a poured concrete slab at the base of a memorial tree planted by the family. One is just around the corner from here at a school and we sometimes walk by, so I see it and it looks like new after 3 years. I also did one on a laserable white tile (also 12")
hut don't know how or where that was mounted.

Pete Simmons
01-02-2008, 3:32 PM
If it is going to be inside I have done a 5x5 black marble picture inset into a 15 x 11 wood plaque.

Ron Nametko
01-03-2008, 12:32 PM
Thank You for the ideas. They were looking for an indoor plaque. I think that makes it easier.

Ron

Lisa Walter
01-03-2008, 2:17 PM
Thank You for the ideas. They were looking for an indoor plaque. I think that makes it easier.

Ron

The 12x12 black granite from Home Depot is nice. Lowe's has it but you have to order it ahead of time and they say it will come in after a weeks time. You can get stands for it (or let them do it) at your local craft store. I get them at AC Moore for about $3 for the ones that will hold the 12x12 granite. They have nice black wooden ones :) If you want pieces of marble, I have found laserbits.com to be the best so far. Their shipping gives me heartburn everytime I check out, but everyone's shipping seems to be high lately (when will the gas prices go down?!!?!?). I did order some heart shaped marble (and other shapes) from another supplier that I am using, and it's not bad, but I think next time I order I will order from laserbits again. I can just faintly see lines through the marble from the other supplier. Laserbits marble I have ordered has been very black (so far). Not sure how big they want the words compared to the picture, but a heart shaped memorial might be nice.

Lisa

Garry McKinney
01-03-2008, 3:19 PM
The fact it is being used indoors helps in two ways, the first , you can use marble and get a very good image , if they want an image.
The second you do not have to add a finish to protect it from acid rain, which can destroy it in a very short time.

Depending on what they want , make sure they understand some of the basics of the stone and things that can effect it. If you intend on using laser marble, inform them of the effects that oil from their hands, cleaners, wax and polish can have on it. If they want a super bright white on laser marble, you may need to paint it. Tell them if you paint it. Acrylic paints have a tendency to turn yellow over time, and can cost you future sales. If you use armor-all to highlight the black tell them, armor- all has a tendency to fade and if it is reapplied it can discolor the marble once the cut is finished.

Memorals which are made to be inside are seen almost everyday, and from that standpoint they should be given the utmost care and consideration in the layout and the work. Giving your customers knowledge and knowing your materials will help in giving your customer something they will cherrish for years to come, and work you can take pride in. I know I trashed a lot of granite and marble before I felt the work was at a level I was happy with. I am still not fond of the standard laser grade marble for memorials because of it's tendency to be gray, and often the need to paint to for highlighting, but I have always told my customers if it is painted.

Not sure this helps but like everything it is only my opinion, and your is the one that maters.

Bill Cunningham
01-03-2008, 10:23 PM
Once etched, granite or marble, H.D. sells a polymer stone sealer for outdoor stone. It is also used to seal grout in showers etc.. It will protect the raw stone after lasering from all kinds of contaminants .. You find it in the same section as the tiles... When the customer does not need it 'yesterday' I always use it, but it takes a while to dry properly (follow the instructions) If the customer needs it 'yesterday' I tell the customer where to buy it, and follow the directions.. If they don't use it, particularly on marble, just about anything can stain it...

William Johanson
01-03-2008, 11:09 PM
I know most guys immediately think stone for memorial plaques and they work out great. My experience (limited as it is) has been wood plaques tend to work out better in some cases. I especially like the hinged 2 plaque setup. The customer has the option of setting it on a table or hanging it from a wall. It also doesn't have the weight of a large marble plaque. Again I have only been doing this for a bit over a year so I have limited experience but this is my opinion. I have been working on a website for the past week . It is still under construction but I have a few memorial plaque pics up if you want to see the ones I have done.

Bill