PDA

View Full Version : Ebay dilemma!

Bill Bolen
01-02-2008, 1:22 PM
I saw this add on ebay and was hot-to-trot for it.

2- Jet Woodworking Lathes JWL 1642 & JML 1014vs

Starting bid:
US $999.00

price:
US $1,300.00

I figured I could sell my jet 1442 and get this deal for about a $700 difference. The big one was the jet 1642 110-volt unit, the mini was supposed to be the jet 1014VS. Looking at the pic’s I saw that this was the jet 1014 regular so I sent the seller an email noting the difference in the ad and the pic. His answer to me was that this was indeed the more expensive jet 1014VS because you could change the belts to vari the speeds. It just wasn’t the electronic model. I had a major concern with this seller’s integrity so I passed it by. He offered a come on of 25 pen blanks and 25 pen kits for free if I would just hit the “buy it now” button. A few hours later the add had been taken down by the seller as “no longer for sale”. I’m pretty sure another interested bidder had emailed him and he struck a cash deal avoiding ebay fees and those PayPal fees to boot. I hope the buyer didn’t get jipped!

Brodie Brickey
01-02-2008, 2:45 PM
Is the 1642 variable speed also? That Jet 1012 definitely isn't.

There are some unscrupulous sellers out there. As someone who has a 1012VS, I can say that it isn't that nice. I'd rather have gotten the normal 1012 instead. The run up on the VS takes a while to get to full speed.

robert hainstock
01-02-2008, 3:16 PM
When it seems too good to be true, it probably is. The first thing to check on ebay is seller feedback. It should be in the high Nineties to 100 percent, with fifty or more entries. I have been burned lightly a couple of times, but with over 150 positive feedbacks, I'm learning. :eek:
Bob

Bill Bolen
01-02-2008, 3:25 PM
He only had about 25 for feedback. The thing that put me off was his unwillingness to back down on calling the mini a 1014VS. I had one of those till my son bought it from me. Telling me that it had variable speed just by changing belts and sticking with the story made me wonder what the condition of the true object of my desire was! That 1642 had my name on it somewhere! I don't think it was a total scam. Someone probably went to his shop and paid cash.

Dean Thomas
01-03-2008, 11:10 PM
He only had about 25 for feedback. The thing that put me off was his unwillingness to back down on calling the mini a 1014VS.
Actually, I think that he's correct (no stones, please). I think that Jet used to distinguishe between them as a 1014VS and the 1014EVS, if I remember correctly. The latest version doesn't seem to do that. They now have the 1014I and 1014IVS with the I being for 24 position Indexing and the VS for Electronic Variable Speed instead of just VS and belt changes.

Just old terminology. Remember that the other models had VS & EVS on their model monikers, too. One was reeve drive, one was EVS.