PDA

View Full Version : Cole chuck...pro,s, Cons?

Dave Stoler
01-02-2008, 12:33 PM
Worth the investment? I like simple..And it seems that it is..

Gordon Seto
01-02-2008, 12:46 PM
Dave,

I seldom use them. It won't do any natural edge and has limitation on rim design or those that has distorted. You still want tailstock support for security. I would rather use a jam chuck or vacuum chucking.

Gordon

Michael McCoy
01-02-2008, 1:11 PM
Dave,

I seldom use them. It won't do any natural edge and has limitation on rim design or those that has distorted. You still want tailstock support for security. I would rather use a jam chuck or vacuum chucking.

Gordon

That's one lesson I learned the painful way -- fortunately the little blank only glanced off my nose.

Steve Schlumpf
01-02-2008, 1:35 PM
Dave - I have the Talon chuck with the mini-jumbo jaws and I used to use them a lot. Couple of months ago I made a donut chuck and now use that instead. Like Gordon stated - you are very limited as to the style of bowl you can finish turn with them. Plus (my biggest concern) - I've launched more bowls from the cole jaws than any other means! Have to take very light finishing cuts or your bowl goes sailing! I am also limited with the donut chuck (no natural edges) and hope to put together a vacuum system in the next few months and not worry about what I can or can not turn.

Dave Stoler
01-02-2008, 2:27 PM
Looks like I,ll be saving for a vacum chuck..There just so expensive.But in the long run I guess it will be the way to go.I imagine it would serve me better into the future?

Bob Hallowell
01-02-2008, 3:32 PM
I bought one for my psi chuck, I have never used it. I used jamb chucks till I did my vacuum set up a couple months ago. And Man is the the sweetest thing I can't image not have the vacuum chuck.

Bob

Gordon Seto
01-02-2008, 4:51 PM
Looks like I,ll be saving for a vacum chuck..There just so expensive.

Yes, if you buy a vacuum system from woodturning catalog, they are very expensive. Surplus center plus has the 220 v Gast pump for $89 (I got mine for less than that from the big auction site), and you can rig up an adapter from some plumbing parts and a double sealed bearing very inexpensively. You can make your vacuum chuck from spare faceplate. But for the versatility and easy of use, there is no comparison.

Gordon

Dave Stoler
01-02-2008, 6:29 PM
I priced the Oneway vacum pump and realized I wasn,t going that route..:eek: I,ll have to speak to the turners at the club meeting saturday and explore the option you describe..

Dick Strauss
01-03-2008, 1:00 AM
Here is the link to the SurplusCenter site vacuum pump Gordon mentioned:

http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?UID=2008010223544340&item=4-1540&catname=

Good luck,
Dick