PDA

View Full Version : Spanish Cedar question

Dick Sylvan
01-02-2008, 11:54 AM
I have built several projects in the past using Spanish cedar and have been pleased with the process and the results, but these were unfinished/unpainted projects. I am now going to build some carriage doors for my garage/workshop and plan to paint them. Has anyone had experience with painting this wood? Should I consider another wood choice? Thanks.

Jim King
01-02-2008, 1:19 PM
Dick:

Living in the Amazon for a long time I have worked a lot with Spanish Cedar. It is very acidic and thus resistant to insects, very easy to work as it is soft like Mahogany and if dry will take any finish well and does not rot easily. That is a very pretty wood to cover up with paint. Attached is a photo of my desk of Spanish Cedar with a Capinuri burl top. The wood just needs to be sealed well prior to whatever finish as it is porus.

Jon Lanier
01-02-2008, 1:41 PM
I have built several projects in the past using Spanish cedar and have been pleased with the process and the results, but these were unfinished/unpainted projects. I am now going to build some carriage doors for my garage/workshop and plan to paint them. Has anyone had experience with painting this wood? Should I consider another wood choice? Thanks.

Just seal it. Don't paint over something that pretty. If you got to paint wood, make sure it is pine, Poplar or MDF. That would be a law if I were President. :cool:

Dick Sylvan
01-02-2008, 1:51 PM
Since I want wood that will stand up to the elements (particularly in hot, humid Houston), the other good alternatives seem to be mahogony or cypress, and they also are "too pretty to paint", so I may be stuck between a rock and a hard place.

Justin Bukoski
01-02-2008, 2:33 PM
Dick, red cedar should hold up well and I don't think anyone will shoot you for painting it.

Todd Bin
01-02-2008, 4:06 PM
I have been told that the dust from spanish cedar is toxic. May need to wear a respirator while working with it.

Maybe someone can confirm.

M. A. Espinoza
01-02-2008, 8:30 PM
Yes, wear a good mask.

And if you feel like throwing up, get some of the dust in your mouth.

But it is easy to work and very weather resistant. Prone to fuzzing if I remember correctly, its been a while.

Jack Briggs
01-03-2008, 8:33 AM
Just seal it. Don't paint over something that pretty. If you got to paint wood, make sure it is pine, Poplar or MDF. That would be a law if I were President. :cool:

+1!!!! :D

Jack Briggs
01-03-2008, 8:34 AM
I have been told that the dust from spanish cedar is toxic. May need to wear a respirator while working with it.

Maybe someone can confirm.

All wood dust is toxic and carcinogenic. Wear a dust mask when working any wood.:cool:

George Bregar
01-03-2008, 9:22 AM
White oak would be a good choice.

Mark Singer
01-03-2008, 9:37 AM
I used Sikens over it on a garage door and its great!

Jim Becker
01-03-2008, 10:23 AM
Just seal it. Don't paint over something that pretty. If you got to paint wood, make sure it is pine, Poplar or MDF.

For an outdoor application, none of these is a good option, even if you are painting. White oak, certain cedars, mahogany, cypress etc., are all still appropriate and with a paint application, you can use lumber that you wouldn't consider for furniture due to grain/color, etc, but still get the right properties for the application.

George Bregar
01-03-2008, 10:39 AM
For an outdoor application, none of these is a good option, even if you are painting. White oak, certain cedars, mahogany, cypress etc., are all still appropriate and with a paint application, you can use lumber that you wouldn't consider for furniture due to grain/color, etc, but still get the right properties for the application. For a vertical surface they would be quite appropriate, especially if painted. Pine is still commonly used as house trim. And screen doors. My concern with any wood for a door would be that it be very very straight grained. Warping would be a greater concern than rot.

Jim Becker
01-03-2008, 10:48 AM
For a vertical surface they would be quite appropriate, especially if painted. Pine is still commonly used as house trim. And screen doors. My concern with any wood for a door would be that it be very very straight grained. Warping wouled be a gretaer concern than rot.

True--pre-primed and then painted pine is trimming our addition and existing structure. So I'll modify my comments....given the size of carriage style doors, I'd probably go with something more substantial structurally, even if painting.

George Bregar
01-03-2008, 11:11 AM
True--pre-primed and then painted pine is trimming our addition and existing structure. So I'll modify my comments....given the size of carriage style doors, I'd probably go with something more substantial structurally, even if painting. I hope pine is substantially structural...it's holding up the floor under my feet, and the roof over my head. ;) The key would be straight grained. Hard to find in "new" pine.

Jim Becker
01-03-2008, 11:22 AM
I hope pine is substantially structural...it's holding up the floor under my feet, and the roof over my head. ;) The key would be straight grained. Hard to find in "new" pine.

Yea, therein lies the rub. Perhaps D-Fir might be a good option...I've seen that in pretty nice straight grained, although it may be recycled. 'Don't know for sure...

George Bregar
01-03-2008, 11:30 AM
Yea, therein lies the rub. Perhaps D-Fir might be a good option...I've seen that in pretty nice straight grained, although it may be recycled. 'Don't know for sure... If I can talk my BIL into picking it up, I will be buying 1000 lf of 8" wide white pine from old bleacher seats @ $1.00 ft...comes out to about $.37 bf! :D My buddy bought some bleacher seats from Camp Randall stadium...University of WI...old growth stuff...tight grain and straight thru 20'. He made a bunch of deck Adirondack chairs. I'm sure it can be found, but not a Borg. But you're right, recycled is the way to go for a lot of reasons.