PDA

View Full Version : Router Table Insert Plates

Paul Fitzgerald
01-02-2008, 10:18 AM
I have a cheap Ryobi Router Table with a flimsy plastic insert and I'm looking to upgrade. Rather than buying a complete router table or building the entire thing from scratch, I was thinking about just purchasing an insert plate or a top with an insert plate. My immediate need only requires the miter gauge... I can always add a fence later.

I've been looking at the Kreg Precision Router Table Insert Plate and Precision Router Table Top (http://www.kregtool.com/products/prs/index.php). I've also been looking at the Rockler Router Table Packages (http://www.rockler.com/CategoryView.cfm?Cat_ID=90).

Do any of you have experience with the Kreg or Rockler products? If so, how do you like them?

Paul

Chuck Lenz
01-02-2008, 10:56 AM
Woodpeckers is the only way to go in my opinion. I bought the 3/8" thick aluminum plate and ringset. The Rockler aluminum plate is only 1/4" thick and the Kreg is phenolic. I do like the Kreg benchtop stand though, but Kreg wouldn't just sell me just that, so now I'm makeing one like it with my own top and a Freud fence. I don't know who started the idea that people should build their own router table rather than buy one pre made, but I have to say I wish I had never started the project. It takes a TON of time and it can get quite expensive. I'll be glad when it's over. On the upside it should be nicer than most premades.

Bill Roland
01-02-2008, 10:56 AM
I have one of the early Rockler router tables and it works great. I have two router plates that I use for two different routers, this allows me to switch between operations without replacing the router bits.

Jim Becker
01-02-2008, 11:18 AM
The first thing you need to do is figure out what the size of the existing plate you want to replace is, including the radius of the corners. From there, you can determine (if/what) product(s) will fit.

Paul Fitzgerald
01-02-2008, 11:31 AM
The first thing you need to do is figure out what the size of the existing plate you want to replace is, including the radius of the corners. From there, you can determine (if/what) product(s) will fit.

I picked up the Ryobi table not too long ago 'cause I didn't have much choice at the time. It doesn't use a standard plate and the included plate is warped and sags, so I was just going to return it and start over.

Paul

frank shic
01-02-2008, 12:11 PM
keep in mind the size of the hole and what kind of bits you want to be spinning. i had to buy a larger aluminum plate from rockler and still had to grind out the hole slightly to run a raised panel bit.

Brad Evans
01-02-2008, 12:19 PM
Woodpeckers is the only way to go in my opinion. I bought the 3/8" thick aluminum plate and ringset. The Rockler aluminum plate is only 1/4" thick and the Kreg is phenolic.

I'm very pleased with the Woodpecker plate as well. They also sell an MDF plate template for making the opening - works perfectly...

Don L Johnson
01-02-2008, 12:27 PM
I, too, have had a good experience with the Woodpecker aluminum plate and additional ring set. At a later date, there are several options for a router raiser. Woodpecker is a quality outfit, and I don't think you will be disappointed.:)

Michael McCoy
01-02-2008, 12:30 PM
I have 4 of the Woodpecker plates so I guess I kind of like them. :) They also have complete sets of different sized inserts that are also nice.

Jim Andrew
01-02-2008, 2:08 PM
I just built my own router table, and made my own plates from 1/2" plexiglass. Went to a neon sign place, they have scraps of 1/2" material, wanted 3/8 but who can complain about free? Then I just drill a hole and mount my routers in the plates, then just exchange routers in the table, saves having to change bits for every cut. Planning to build another table, ordered another router and picked up another piece of plexiglass. This time instead of using laminate, think I'll just use hardwood, double the thickness around the hole, and finish it on both sides. Then I can set up 2 routers, and move the workpiece from one to the next without changing the setup. JIm

Paul Fitzgerald
01-02-2008, 4:43 PM
I'm very pleased with the Woodpecker plate as well. They also sell an MDF plate template for making the opening - works perfectly...

I have 4 of the Woodpecker plates so I guess I kind of like them. :) They also have complete sets of different sized inserts that are also nice.

Do ya'll have the aluminum plates as well? I ask only because it appears as though Woodpecker also has Phenolic plates.

Paul

Michael McCoy
01-02-2008, 5:08 PM
Do ya'll have the aluminum plates as well? I ask only because it appears as though Woodpecker also has Phenolic plates.

Paul

The first two I got were the phenolic ones and the last two were the cast aluminum ones but I haven't had any sag out of the phenolic.

M Toupin
01-02-2008, 8:49 PM
I just built my own router table, and made my own plates from 1/2" plexiglass. Went to a neon sign place, they have scraps of 1/2" material, wanted 3/8 but who can complain about free? Then I just drill a hole and mount my routers in the plates, then just exchange routers in the table, saves having to change bits for every cut. Planning to build another table, ordered another router and picked up another piece of plexiglass. This time instead of using laminate, think I'll just use hardwood, double the thickness around the hole, and finish it on both sides. Then I can set up 2 routers, and move the workpiece from one to the next without changing the setup. JIm

Did the same as Jim, but used Corian. Works great and the price was right, fee. Sure is a big time saver to pop out one router and drop in another with the bit already setup.

Mike

Greg Narozniak
01-03-2008, 11:51 AM
I have both a phenolic plate and an orginal PRL from Woodpecker and they have been great. I would not hesitate to buy them again.

Jim Mims
01-03-2008, 2:44 PM
I too am looking at router table tops and want to replace one of my table saw wings.
Are there any opinions on the MLCS package with 1/4" Aluminum plate?
http://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/smarthtml/pages/router_table4.html

- Jim

Dennis Lopeman
05-19-2008, 1:45 PM
Has anyone tried adapting some old Craftsmen table (like a benchtop version - the ~$100 version I think) into a bigger table?

Pictures I snagged from various locations - just to give an idea of what I'm talking about:

almost exactly like: http://denver.craigslist.org/tls/684527459.html

http://detroit.craigslist.org/tls/685758261.html

I found one a long time ago at a garage sale for like $10... Well, i've grown up since then and now want to build a real table... Problem is, I'm thrifty!

So I was thinking of just "guttin" this one

Any thoughts on this?

Dennis Lopeman
06-07-2008, 11:23 PM
And THATS why they call me Thread Killer!! LOL

I see that this one mighta been dead already anyway - back in January.

Wesley Hoffman
06-08-2008, 8:40 AM
How'd that table saw extension router table work out for you Jim? I'm looking at that myself.