PDA

View Full Version : PaperIllusions Topcoast

Patt Haugen
01-02-2008, 10:15 AM
I am considering the PaperIllusions product. This is like wall paper, but it's put on to look like marble. I want to use this product on my back splash in my kitchen. I know it won't have a lot of water on it, but I also know I want a protective coating on the top so I can wipe off any splash without damaging the paper, and I don't want it to yellow, what would be a good recommendation? To see the site, should you not be familiar with this product, Google PaperIllusion Faux Finish Wallpaper, this should help.

Patt

Howard Acheson
01-02-2008, 11:29 AM
I think the first thing I would do is send a note off to the manufacturer or major distributor

Jamie Buxton
01-02-2008, 9:12 PM
Patt --
Waterborne wood finishes don't yellow. You can buy any brand at your local paint store or big box, and be okay.
I'd be a little concerned about glossiness. I don't know how glossy your wallpaper is to start. The varnish might change that. You can buy varnish in different levels of flatness, from gloss to matte. You probably should experiment on some test pieces before you varnish the real thing.

Howard Acheson
01-03-2008, 10:57 AM
As Patt is intending to use this product on a back splash in a kitchen, I would not recommend a waterborne finish. Waterbornes are damaged by kitchen cleaning chemicals and have little water penetration resistance.

An oil based finish would be the most protective. But, most consumer brand, big box poly varnishes will be quite yellow and will tend to yellow more over time. While more difficult to find, an alkyd resin, soya oil varnish would fit the bill. It is almost water clear and because it does not have any linseed oil, it tends to stay clear over time. Look for Pratt & Lambert #38.

Jamie Buxton
01-03-2008, 11:19 AM
Waterbornes are damaged by kitchen cleaning chemicals and have little water penetration resistance.

In my experience, and in everything I've read, a modern waterborne varnish is as water-resistant as traditional solvent-borne varnishes.

Jim Becker
01-03-2008, 12:14 PM
In my experience, and in everything I've read, a modern waterborne varnish is as water-resistant as traditional solvent-borne varnishes.

Agreed. The Target Coatings PSL (now reformulated as USL) in my kitchen has been unaffected by cleaning products to-date (since 2003) yet the polyurethane varnish I mistakenly used on our kitchen table looks like, well...you-know-what. Many of the latest water borne are still emulsions that have solvent-based product in suspension. The water is just used as a carrier.

Howard Acheson
01-04-2008, 2:04 PM
There are 3 or 4 different formulations (technologies) of waterborne finishes. Some of the very high end products have good chemical resistance but checking with the manufacturers will still result in cautions about using certain cleaning chemicals. Big box consumer brands are still made to some of the older technologies and are not equivalent to some of the more "professional" formulations.