PDA

View Full Version : Oneway Basic chuck... kinda wordy

Dusty Fuller
01-01-2008, 11:54 PM
My wife bought me a Oneway Basic Chuck for Christmas (from Lee Valley). No problems with it holding the wood tonight (first use) but it has a jiggle around the adapter (3/4 x 16). The movement isn't in the headstock, nor is it in the jaws. I believe that the threads in the adapter aren't doing what they're supposed to. They spin right, but they don't have a good grip. I tightened the chuck down to the nut on the spindle, and it still moves a little somewhere between the adapter and the wood. It results in off-center rotation, just enough to be irritating and throw my work off, especially near the chuck jaws. Its most visible at the chuck body when the lathe is running. The lathe is a Craftsman 113.228360... I know, a bit of a POS, but I haven't had anything jiggle, the spindles I've done have been centered as have been the faceplate turnings I've done. I'll contact Oneway tomorrow, but I wanted to check here to see if anyone knew anything. It may be something I did, but I haven't done much. Thanks in advance, and sorry for the long thread!

Dusty

Rich Souchek
01-02-2008, 12:20 AM
If you go to Oneways web site, there is a forum where you can post exactly these kinds of problems in order to get their help. Try a google search.
Rich S.

Richard Madison
01-02-2008, 9:40 PM
Dusty,
Please let us know how this turns out. The Craftsman may not be the particular POS that is causing this problem. And don't be ashamed of it! Some very nice work has been done on the old single tube Craftsman lathes.

Dean Matthews
01-03-2008, 11:36 AM
Are you saying that you are having issues with the adapter piece that mates to the lathe?

I seem to recall a few posts were people have said they took the adapter all the way out and reseated with great success. I think someone said there had been some slight debris in the adapter channel that was throwing it off.

I also know that when I put mine together I took great care in trying to torque everything down evenly.

We are talking about this, right? :

MOUNTING THE ADAPTOR:- (the adaptor may already be mounted)
1. Wipe the inside of the taper of the chuck body as well as the outside
of the adaptor to be sure all grit and dirt is removed.
2. Slide the adaptor into the chuck body with the three holes of the
adaptor lined up with the threaded holes of the chuck body.
3. Thread in the M4 x 16 hex socket screws with the 3 mm hex key and
tighten them alternately. Alternate tightening ensures that the adaptor
is pulled into the taper straight.
After mounting the adaptor to the chuck, a space of 0.020 to 0.050
between the adaptor and the chuck body is normal.

Paul Heely
01-03-2008, 12:42 PM
You might also check that the spindle on the headstock is not bottoming out in the chuck adapter before the shoulder of the adapter seats against the shoulder of the spindle.

Bob Hallowell
01-03-2008, 1:26 PM
You might also check that the spindle on the headstock is not bottoming out in the chuck adapter before the shoulder of the adapter seats against the shoulder of the spindle.

That was my thought too. you might need a spacer if the shoulder is not seating itself.

Bob

Dean Thomas
01-03-2008, 10:55 PM
I vote with Paul & Bob. I think that Craftsman power tools had (have?) a habit of nonconformity with the whole rest of the world. Longer thises and shorter thatses. I bought a #2MT dead center and it would not fit into a Jet. I can't remember right now if it was too short or too long, but it was not a good fit.

I'm finding a similar thing with #2MT pen mandrels! I have a couple that are not super cheapies, but they don't fit properly in the hole. Fat part fits fine, but the skinny end wobbles. Makes for messy fits.

And friend, one paragraph ain't wordy. Hardly begins to define most problems or situations. If you get up around a half a page to yourself, we'll still grin and say, "Dusty's gettin' it!"

Dusty Fuller
01-07-2008, 11:27 AM
Good advice everyone, and sorry I've been non-responsive. I've been out of town and the internet access in our park office is temporarily gone (I'm on personal computer dial-up right now). I think the problem is that the threads on the spindle aren't going in far enough on the adapter. There is a nut on the spindle, right up to the headstock, that the Craftsman owner's manual says not to remove. This nut may be wide enough to keep the spindle from going in far enough to seat well. I would think, however, that the adapter would tighten down to the nut as-is. Its not like the adapter is holding on to nothing, its got at least 3/4". But what do I know. I'll get a narrower nut, as well as call Oneway. At least it didn't fling the wood....

Thanks!

Dusty Fuller

Hilel Salomon
01-07-2008, 1:01 PM
One of the great things about oneway products is customer support. I've got a ton of Oneway things, almost always have questions, and they not only answer them, but if the situation calls for it, they replace parts readily. Call them if you still have problems and see what happens.
Luck,

Hilel

Walt Nollan
01-07-2008, 3:39 PM
Dusty, I have the same lathe only I bought mine new back in '92. I also have the Oneway Scroll chuck. I had to remove the spindle nut and now I use a "No-Lock Spindle Washer" from Craft Supply. For 1.99 you can't go wrong. Although I never had the jingle issue like you have. Although I have left my knock out tool in the spindle before and it made a jingle.

Walt