PDA

View Full Version : drawer sides?

keith ouellette
01-01-2008, 10:57 PM
I am going to build some upper cabinets and I want the bottom shelf on each one to be a full extension pull out. I wanted the slides to be under the drawer so I could make the drawer a little wider.
Can I use a regular full extension (or maybe over travel) slide on its side or do I have to use an undermount slide?

Jon Bonham
01-01-2008, 11:03 PM
I have no idea how slides are made, nor am I a slide designer, but I would have to believe that a side slide is meant to carry the load horizontally, not vertically. I doesn't seem like a great idea.

Bill Huber
01-01-2008, 11:34 PM
Here is some at Rockler

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=16404&filter=drawer%20slides

I also think that Blum has them.

John-Paul Murphy
01-02-2008, 12:37 AM
Keith I would say it depends on the weight you plan for the drawer. Personally I would go with the under mound slides just in case someone hangs something heavy on the drawer. They are readily available from several sources. I just put some side mounts (with out the under drawer angle support) on a wooden tool box. I think they were the 50lb jobs. Fully extended and applying pressure horizontally they do have some serious flex with only about 20 lbs. pressure. I do not think it would take much to bend one. It would also depend on what you want to see from below.

Lee Schierer
01-02-2008, 9:31 AM
I agree you will need to use slides that are made for that type of service. Side mounted full extension slides will come apart if there is too much side force (in your case down) put on them.

Brad Shipton
01-04-2008, 12:15 PM
From my reading the bottom mounts are only rated for about 18lb each, and I do not recall seeing a full extension version. Undermount from Accuride or Blum will work nicely and help to show off your joinery if you are planning dovetails. These manuf have great websites that include the specs for each model. Hafele sells the accuride for one, and many sell the Blum.

Brad

Matt Crew
01-04-2008, 1:38 PM
The biggest difference in the side slides v.s. undermount is the direction the rollers contact the races in the slide.
The side mount slides would not allow the rollers to contact the races properly if mounted as a bottom mount slide.
The best way I can think to discribe it would be to cup your hand and put a ball in it, then turn your hand on its side, the ball falls out. Your hand is the race. The bottom mount slides are disigned so the races are at the bottom and the top to capture the rollers and slide with out much effort.
Hope this helps.
I'm not real good at discribing things.

John-Paul Murphy
01-04-2008, 6:10 PM
I use a company called the hardware house (thehardwarehouse.com). They make a full extension under mount ball bearing (I love ball bearing slides) slide that is rated for 100 lbs. I have used both the under mount and the side mount. They are great slides IMHO equal or better to accuride for half the price. A pair of 12 inchers are about 14 bucks (18 if you need the face brackets) not including shipping….as always which ever type you use get the hardware in house before cutting any wood…
Note that I am not affiliated with this company just ran across them on day and they make all types of drawer slides.