PDA

View Full Version : Which band saw should I buy?

Ken Windom
01-01-2008, 10:56 PM
Hi folks,

I have been reading posts to this forum, but this is my first question. I plan to buy a band saw (my first). I really like the features on the Grizzly G0555X, but am wondering if something like a used Rockwell 28-200 would be adequate (and a lot less expensive). Are these at all comparable (other than both are 14") or are we talking apples and oranges here? I am nearing retirement and building a woodworking shop. The band saw will be the last major addition and will be used for some resawing as well as normal band saw work.

Ken Windom

Pat Germain
01-01-2008, 11:42 PM
I think finding a good, used bandsaw is great idea. Trouble is, I can never find such examples for much less than the new models. I hope you have better luck.

We've had numerous discussions about bandsaws here on SMC. Most hilight that the new Rikon models are superb and the Craftsman clones are very similar and a pretty good deal.

I would politely suggest you do some searching here. I have and I learned a lot. One fellow member even created a thread with links to the more informative bandsaw threads. I'm sure you can find it.

Happy shopping!

Lance Norris
01-01-2008, 11:46 PM
I dont know anything about the Rockwell saw you mention, but can tell you that all the cast iron 14" bandsaws are clones of the old Rockwell-Delta cast iron bandsaw. That being said, the Grizzly 14" cast iron bandsaws get very good reviews and comments. Jet is also another manufacturer that makes a good bandsaw of this type. Without telling us how much money you want to spend, you may want to save a little more money and look at the steel frame bandsaws like the Rikon, or Grizzly. You can get these saws for under $1k and they will give you better performance with resawing than a cast iron 14" saw. I have a Grizzly G0457 and have been very happy with it. Also another Grizzly for about the same money worth looking at is the G0513. Welcome to SMC.

Rob Will
01-02-2008, 2:40 AM
Why not get a bigger saw? I sent you a PM

Rob

Wilbur Pan
01-02-2008, 7:38 AM
I was looking at the same sort of decision when purchasing a bandsaw (which was actually the first major tool purchase for me). I wound up finding an old 16" Walker-Turner bandsaw from the 1940s for $300. I wouldn't trade it for any of the current bandsaws in the same size.

If you have a line on a used Rockwell 28-200 at a good price, I'd go for it. Current 14" cast iron bandsaws may be clones of the old Delta/Rockwells, but there are some differences that don't show up on a spec sheet. The main ones would include beefier castings, especially in the trunnions and the C-frame, and thicker sheet metal used for the wheel covers. Older bandsaws tend to have smaller HP motors than current bandsaws, but the motor is only one factor in a bandsaw's performance. I've been able to resaw up to 8" on my old bandsaw with a 1/2 HP motor.

There isn't much to go wrong on a bandsaw, which makes going the used route pretty easy. About the only thing that might need replacing are the bearings, which isn't very hard or expensive. The main thing to do is make sure that the bandsaw you're looking at isn't missing any parts.

However, if you are looking to do any amount of resawing, I agree with Rob that you might want to consider a bigger bandsaw.

John Bailey
01-02-2008, 9:54 AM
My advice, if you are going the 14" route, is to get an old Delta, the older the better. They have no dust collection to speak of, and if that's an issue, you'll have to go with a newer one. With the newer ones, once you get past the least expensive, meaning the GO555 and others of that price range and below, you are in the price range of the 17-18" Grizzlys, Rikons, and the like, which get great reviews here and at other forums. At that point it's probably just as well to go bigger.

John

Dan O'Connor
01-02-2008, 10:07 AM
I had first shot at this yesterday but balked at the 60 mile drive each way. Kind of sorry about that today.

http://southjersey.craigslist.org/tls/524527443.html

Ken Windom
01-02-2008, 12:13 PM
Thanks to everyone who responded about my question on purchasing a band saw, especially the PMs. I have somewhat limited space (and budget), so haven't been looking at the 17" and larger saws. I am prepared to spend around $900, which would get the Grizzly G0555, riser, and moveable base, plus freight. As I understand it, the bigger the saw, the larger the diameter wheel, which requires a much stronger frame, larger footprint, etc.

One additional question I have pertains to the comparison of cast-iron vs. steel wheels. Is there a significant difference?

Ken

Michael McCoy
01-02-2008, 12:28 PM
I'm sending a link via PM to an a PDF article by Popular Woodworking that may provide some info for you.

David Weaver
01-02-2008, 12:39 PM
Cast iron wheels mean more mass and smoother running - supposing they're heavier.

I don't know that I've seen a steel wheeled bandsaw, but I have seen cast aluminum wheels on some. If you're looking at a used newer saw and in question, just take a magnet and see if you can stick it to the wheels.

I, for a long time, said that I wouldn't "spend up" on a bandsaw, but I ended up buying one of the new redesigned Jet 18" bandsaws (the 1.75hp 110 version) for $1059 here at a local shop (i.e., no freight/delivery charge), and after getting it set up with a better blade, I wouldn't get a smaller saw. I was initially worried that it might not have enough power, but power isn't really an issue with hobbyist type use (including resawing). The extra weight of bigger bandsaws makes them nice to work with, and according to the experts, blade life is better due to the more gradual curve on the wheels.

In your price range, you can get the G0513 delivered no problem, as long as you have 220v. I haven't seen anything bad about them other than speculation that they "might" not be as good as cast trunnion bandsaws, but you can now buy a cast trunnion separately for not very much - to solve that problem.

If you move up $100 or so, you have a whole bunch of saws to choose from.

Tim Marks
01-02-2008, 2:38 PM
Actually the G0513X2 17" has a SMALLER footprint (30" W x 20" D) ) then the G0555 14" (26"W x 30"D).

Come on, let us spend your money! Seriously though, I have a Rikon 14". When I do it all over again, I will be getting a 17-19" BS. Sure wish I had bought a 17" to begin with (but then I would have dropped it down the basement stairs... oh yeah, now I remember why I didn't...:eek:) I love the band saw, and a little more money gets you a whole new class of machinery.

Wilbur Pan
01-02-2008, 2:47 PM
As I understand it, the bigger the saw, the larger the diameter wheel, which requires a much stronger frame, larger footprint, etc.

You're half right. The frame will be stronger. The footprint really doesn't change much in terms of floor space. In any case, the bigger footprint is in a good way -- mainly a bigger worktable. Ceiling height is much more likely to be an issue with a bigger bandsaw, but even a 17" bandsaw isn't going to be much taller than a 14" with a riser. In fact, unless you really need to cut a hole in the ceiling of your shop to make it fit, I would definitely get a larger bandsaw over a 14" plus riser.

An additional advantage to a bigger wheel is that the blade has to take less of a tight radius going around the wheel, which leads to less stress and fatigue, and increased blade life.

As far as cast iron vs. steel wheels, I'd rather have a bigger saw with steel wheels than a smaller saw with cast iron wheels.

Going back to your original question, with your budget, and what's available to you, I'd look for things in this order:

1. New bandsaw > 14"
2. That used Rockwell you mentioned.
3. A new 14" bandsaw.

Of course, a used older >14" bandsaw would be even better.

Brian Kent
01-02-2008, 3:28 PM
Grizzly 17" G0513 (2008 catalog price) $750
Shipping $89
Heavy Duty Mobile Base $70

Total $909

Ken Windom
01-02-2008, 8:01 PM
Actually the G0513X2 17" has a SMALLER footprint (30" W x 20" D) ) then the G0555 14" (26"W x 30"D).

Come on, let us spend your money! Seriously though, I have a Rikon 14". When I do it all over again, I will be getting a 17-19" BS. Sure wish I had bought a 17" to begin with (but then I would have dropped it down the basement stairs... oh yeah, now I remember why I didn't...:eek:) I love the band saw, and a little more money gets you a whole new class of machinery.

It is a lot more fun to spend someone else's money, isn't it :D. (Being in Iowa, we have been deluged with presidential wanna-bes, so I'm a definitely tuned in to the whole spending thing; I'll be glad when the caucuses are over tomorrow). Seriously, though, I have learned a lot from the responses. Sounds like the footprint issue is not really an issue, and I have access to the shop through an 8-foot overhead garage door, so no going down to the basement. The ceiling is 9-feet high, so that's not a problem, either, and I just installed four 220V outlets, each on its own circuit breaker. I'm just limited to something less than 12' X 22' to fit in all the machines, cabinets, workbench, etc., and being able to convince my wife that it makes more sense to spend money on the machines rather than simply buying the furniture in the first place :p. Based on all the responses, I think I will give the GO513 a closer look.

Ken

Rob Will
01-02-2008, 9:05 PM
It is a lot more fun to spend someone else's money, isn't it :D. Ken

Especially if you send the tools to my address !!!:D
Actually, EVERYBODY goes through the various stages of justifying tool purchases. We have ALL been there and in the final analysis, NOBODY regrets buying a bit larger bandsaw or jointer.

For what it's worth, for my own shop I looked around and found some tools cheap. A 24" jointer, a 24" planer and a 36" bandsaw. I'm certainly not advocating that you go overboard but the point is that a 16" to 20" bandsaw is not all that "big". In fact, my Moak 36 would easily fit under your 9' ceiling.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Rob

Billy Chambless
01-02-2008, 10:17 PM
in the final analysis, NOBODY regrets buying a bit larger bandsaw or jointer.

That's exactly the piece of data I've been looking for!

;)

Joe Cipriano
01-03-2008, 12:12 AM
...NOBODY regrets buying a bit larger bandsaw or jointer...
Rob

You would if you had basement stairs like mine...;)

I'd need to hire a couple of professional movers, size "Small" - anyone bigger just ain't fittin' down the stairs at the same time as the saw...:mad:

Rob Will
01-03-2008, 11:19 AM
You would if you had basement stairs like mine...;)

I'd need to hire a couple of professional movers, size "Small" - anyone bigger just ain't fittin' down the stairs at the same time as the saw...:mad:

No, I think I would regret the stairs ;).

Rob

Joe Cipriano
01-03-2008, 12:56 PM
No, I think I would regret the stairs ;).

Rob

Good point...;)

Dave MacArthur
01-05-2008, 4:10 AM
Hi,
Check my signature below for a link to "which bandsaw?" threads.

The G0513 would be my choice for SURE in your situation! And it can be wired to 110 (though you say you have 220). As noted above, smaller footprint, and it is almost universally praised by all owners--a great deal right now at $750, down from almost $1000 due to newer models.
http://www.grizzly.com/products/17-Bandsaw-2-HP/G0513
for specs.

Ken Windom
01-06-2008, 11:32 AM
Dave,

Thanks very much for the info and the links. Yes, it looks like the G0513 may be the best option for me. It's more than I originally planned to spend, but I'm at the age that I don't want to scrimp and end up with something that doesn't do the job I needed it for in the first place. I have already installed a dedicated 220V line for this item (along with dedicated 220V lines for my dust collector, table saw, and jointer), along with 110V lines on three separate breakers, so I think I have adequate power.

Ken Windom

Skip McKenzie
02-01-2008, 11:40 AM
New member, first post. If this needs to moved please do so. I'm in the market for a band saw. I have read the other posts and could very little on the Sho Fox band saw. We have a shop fox dealer resonably close which means no shipping they have a 14 band saw at a very nice price, (this is a co operative). Bottom line is there any thing wrong wtih the SF saw. It's the 1706.

Bob Hallowell
02-01-2008, 11:53 AM
Skip,
I was looking prteey hard at it too, there was a company on ebay Biggs or Briggs I forget that was selling it for $504 and free shipping. plus $50 for the riser. It's a preety good deal. As for the saw I think Grizzly makes them so I am sure they are good.

Bob

Pat Germain
02-01-2008, 11:52 PM
I think you might be referring to Bibb Tool, Bob. I ordered a Shop Fox jointer from them last summer and got free shipping. They're a great outfit.

Yes, the Shop Fox machines are Grizzly machines with different paint and a cool "Shop Fox" emblem. Some machines have a few differences between Grizzly and Shop Fox. For example, I think the fences are different on the table saws.

I've also had my eye on a Shop Fox bandsaw. I don't have a Shop Fox dealer nearby. Therefore, I'll probably order it from bibbtool.com.

Kevin Godshall
02-02-2008, 9:01 PM
It is a lot more fun to spend someone else's money, isn't it :D. (Being in Iowa, we have been deluged with presidential wanna-bes, so I'm a definitely tuned in to the whole spending thing; I'll be glad when the caucuses are over tomorrow). Seriously, though, I have learned a lot from the responses. Sounds like the footprint issue is not really an issue, and I have access to the shop through an 8-foot overhead garage door, so no going down to the basement. The ceiling is 9-feet high, so that's not a problem, either, and I just installed four 220V outlets, each on its own circuit breaker. I'm just limited to something less than 12' X 22' to fit in all the machines, cabinets, workbench, etc., and being able to convince my wife that it makes more sense to spend money on the machines rather than simply buying the furniture in the first place :p. Based on all the responses, I think I will give the GO513 a closer look.

Ken

I'm lucky enough to live close to a Grizzly outlet (Williamsport). I bought the 0555x with the riser kit with the purpose of resawing found lumber. While the saw does the job, a bigger motor certainly would not hurt. I blew out my first motor within 6 months (gotta love Grizzly's warranty and replacement policy tho). Now, I'm being lots more careful and patient when making cuts in green wood (specially in oak and hickory), but wishing all the while I went to a bigger HP motor.