PDA

View Full Version : Fa18

Lee Schierer
01-01-2008, 9:45 PM
Here is a wooden FA-18 that I made for my grandsons for Christmas. It is made from maple and is unfinished. My oldest grandson is a big fan of the Blue Angels and I thought he might like an FA-18 of his own. He played with it most of the 6 hour trip home this past weekend and hasn't stopped flying it around yet.

http://home.earthlink.net/~us71na/fa18.jpg

I made it from a silhouette drawing I found on the internet and enlarged with a copier. Figuring out how to make it sturdy and assemble easily was a bit challenging. So far it has past the test.

David Bodkin
01-01-2008, 9:48 PM
Very Cool! That looks great.

Jim Becker
01-01-2008, 9:54 PM
It really does look like it will "pass the test" for kid-use, but really reflects the FA18 very nicely. Great job, Lee!

Mike Cutler
01-01-2008, 9:57 PM
Very, very cool:cool:

Best of all. It's powered by imagination, not batteries!

Well done Lee.

Bill Huber
01-01-2008, 10:03 PM
Nice looking AF-18, I am sure he will love it forever.

It is a good looking build.

Ryan Combs
01-01-2008, 11:03 PM
I got interested in woodworking by building wooden planes and cars for my nephews. I don't know how well they have held up, but they were fun to make.

Ryan

Pat Germain
01-01-2008, 11:36 PM
Lee, you could sell those wooden models to Hornet pilots who currently have to use their hands when telling war stories in the Dirty Shirt Ward Room!

Very slick! Are you going to add afterburners? I'm sure your grandons would really get a kick out of that.

Lee Schierer
01-02-2008, 9:34 AM
Lee, you could sell those wooden models to Hornet pilots who currently have to use their hands when telling war stories in the Dirty Shirt Ward Room!

Very slick! Are you going to add afterburners? I'm sure your grandsons would really get a kick out of that.

The after burners are there they just don't show up in the photo.

As far as selling them. As with most toys the hours involved would be difficult to recoup in a retail market. Perhaps when I retire, but by then the JSF or F-22 will be the plane of choice.

Bill Huber
01-02-2008, 9:37 AM
The after burners are there they just don't show up in the photo.

As far as selling them. As with most toys the hours involved would be difficult to recoup in a retail market. Perhaps when I retire, but by then the JSF or F-22 will be the plane of choice.

Do the after burners scorch the wood....:D:D