PDA

View Full Version : Having a hard time finding wood

Cody James
01-01-2008, 9:32 PM
Hi, I'm not sure if this is the right forum to put this in, but I've got a question..

I'm looking to purchase some Baltic Birch, I need it to be 60" long, and at least about 12" wide, and about 5/8" - 3/4" thick.

I've tried looking around town for somewhere that sells it, but to my dismay, I have found nowhere.
I'm sure there's probably a few Alaskans around here, and hopefully someone will know where I can pick up some Baltic Birch.

Shipping is hardly an option, as to purchase about $45 in wood, they want $135 to ship it, making $45 in wood cost about $180, which is crazy.

Thanks in advance,
Cody

Jim Becker
01-01-2008, 9:38 PM
Cody, I'm thinking that a bunch of you AK woodworkers need to get a little "club" together to do some bulk purchasing of material to help keep the cost down, especially for transportation. You may want to post at least a general location of where you are in your profile so others who may be near you can chime in. That's a pretty big state... ;)

BTW, welcome to the 'Creek!

Cody James
01-01-2008, 9:44 PM
Cody, I'm thinking that a bunch of you AK woodworkers need to get a little "club" together to do some bulk purchasing of material to help keep the cost down, especially for transportation. You may want to post at least a general location of where you are in your profile so others who may be near you can chime in. That's a pretty big state... ;)

BTW, welcome to the 'Creek!
Thanks for the welcome :)
I'm in Eagle River, it's about 20 miles out of the heart of Anchorage - which is in South-Central Alaska. I'll make sure to add that to my profile. :)

Jon Bonham
01-01-2008, 11:01 PM
Thanks for the welcome :)
I'm in Eagle River, it's about 20 miles out of the heart of Anchorage - which is in South-Central Alaska. I'll make sure to add that to my profile. :)

South Central Alaska is where Snoop Dogg would live. :D

Matt Meiser
01-02-2008, 7:59 AM
You might try contacting some of the local cabinet shops to see if they can tell you where they get theirs or maybe even sell you some. I'd think Anchorage would be big enough to have a plywood supplier but they can be hard to find.

Wade Lippman
01-02-2008, 9:19 AM
I took a tour of the Kennecut mines last Summer. They showed a comparison of the sad construction using native woods at first, with that from Doug Fir they used after the railroad went in.
That got me to thinking about what woods you guys must be using; all the local trees looked too small to be useful.

Is is all imported, or is there local hardwood? All the supermarkets had a bunch of WW magazines, so there must be plenty of woodworkers.