PDA

View Full Version : The chair plans I couldn't find.

Bill Huber
01-01-2008, 8:45 PM
I never was able to find the plans for this little chair, I did have a picture of it with my daughter setting in one when she was little. I took that picture and used it as a starting point.

This is the prototype and I will be making one out of redwood in the near future. I think I will use brass screws to hold it all together.

The seat pulls out and slides in the back for a nice neat little package. My kids loved it and just wore the one they had out.

This is a quick little project if you have some little kids around that need a chair.

78366 78367

78369 78370

Rob Wright
01-01-2008, 9:11 PM
Bill - that's a great little chair. I have a copy of some old delta shop notes from the 60's that has a similar version in it. I will see if I can dig it up and post a pdf of it. I believe that the version I saw has both an adult and child version.

Are you going to pattern route the frames or cut with a bandsaw? The redwood should work easily enough and be light for the kids to carry.

- Rob

Jim Becker
01-01-2008, 9:43 PM
That's a very kewel design!! Nice!

Bill Huber
01-01-2008, 9:45 PM
Bill - that's a great little chair. I have a copy of some old delta shop notes from the 60's that has a similar version in it. I will see if I can dig it up and post a pdf of it. I believe that the version I saw has both an adult and child version.

Are you going to pattern route the frames or cut with a bandsaw? The redwood should work easily enough and be light for the kids to carry.

- Rob

That would be great if you can find the plans, I have just been flying by the seat of my pants.
I did move the support board a little which made the seat come down some and it looks a lot better that way.

I just made some patterns from MDF and and cut them with the jig saw, I would love to have a band saw to do it but just don't have one yet. I then clean them up with the spindle sander.
Then I use those to layout the frames and used the spindle sander to clean them up. The I put a 1/4 inch round over on all edges.

Craig Earls
01-01-2008, 10:03 PM
Very nice! Could you post some general dimensions?

Bill Huber
01-01-2008, 11:39 PM
Very nice! Could you post some general dimensions?

Hope this helps.

It is all 3/4 inch stock

The chair is 20 inches tall.

The cross rungs are 2 1/4 x 12 inches long.

Jon Lanier
01-02-2008, 1:27 AM
That is really neat!!!!

Scott Hubl
01-02-2008, 5:10 AM
I have seen Scott Philips (The American Woodshop)build a chair VERY similar in form and function. His was a copy of some places chairs I can't remember now. His looked lighter weight, thinner frame, smaller slats,if I recall correctly, look at his website maybe you can find info there.

Peter Stahl
01-02-2008, 7:19 AM
That would be great if you can find the plans, I have just been flying by the seat of my pants.
I did move the support board a little which made the seat come down some and it looks a lot better that way.

I just made some patterns from MDF and and cut them with the jig saw, I would love to have a band saw to do it but just don't have one yet. I then clean them up with the spindle sander.
Then I use those to layout the frames and used the spindle sander to clean them up. The I put a 1/4 inch round over on all edges.

Bill,

Like the chairs, are the seat and back attached to each other? Also now that you have a template use it as a guide for a flush cut router bit. Bit doesn't have to cut the whole thickness, just do a second pass. Also some double side tape or clamp half at a time. You may not need to sand the edges with this technique, just round the edges over a little.

Dell Littlefield
01-02-2008, 8:56 AM
I built several of these plus a settee. I found the plans on a boy scout project website a couple of years ago. The ones I built were adult size. I am going out of town today and will look for the plans when I get back. If I find them, I will post 'em.

Bill Huber
01-02-2008, 9:32 AM
Bill,

Like the chairs, are the seat and back attached to each other? Also now that you have a template use it as a guide for a flush cut router bit. Bit doesn't have to cut the whole thickness, just do a second pass. Also some double side tape or clamp half at a time. You may not need to sand the edges with this technique, just round the edges over a little.

The seat and the back are not connected in any way. You just pull the seat out and it slides in the back for storage.

I was going to use the router but after I had it all taped up and did a dry run it just didn't feel right going around the ends so I just cut them out with the jig saw. I am sure it could be done with the router but the ends looked like it would be kind of a climb cut and I just didn't want to take the chance of it flying across the room. I think it is my skill level with the router table at this point.

Erik Stol
01-02-2008, 9:47 AM
Bill,

If it is of any help, I do have a complete discription on how to build a beach chair. I' ve found it somewhere on the Internet.

You can find it on:

Part 1: http://www.canadianhomeworkshop.com/weekend/beach_chair.shtml

Part 2: http://www.canadianhomeworkshop.com/weekend/beach_chair2.shtml

Have a good build, I like to build one this year for my girlfriend.

Peter Stahl
01-02-2008, 12:51 PM
The seat and the back are not connected in any way. You just pull the seat out and it slides in the back for storage.

I was going to use the router but after I had it all taped up and did a dry run it just didn't feel right going around the ends so I just cut them out with the jig saw. I am sure it could be done with the router but the ends looked like it would be kind of a climb cut and I just didn't want to take the chance of it flying across the room. I think it is my skill level with the router table at this point.

Bill,

Sorry I wasn't clean on what I meant. You still cut them with a jig saw close to the line, then put the template on and use the router to clean the edge up. With a starting pin it's easy on a router table. Whatever works for you is the best method though, just throwing my 2 cents in.

Rob Wright
01-02-2008, 1:14 PM

Bill - these are EXACTLY like the plans in the book I have at home - Rob

http://www.scouters.us/homecha.html

Matt Crew
01-02-2008, 1:50 PM
Thats a real good idea.

Bill Huber
01-02-2008, 7:52 PM
Bill,

If it is of any help, I do have a complete discription on how to build a beach chair. I' ve found it somewhere on the Internet.

You can find it on:

Part 1: http://www.canadianhomeworkshop.com/weekend/beach_chair.shtml

Part 2: http://www.canadianhomeworkshop.com/weekend/beach_chair2.shtml

Have a good build, I like to build one this year for my girlfriend.

Thanks, I have them both bookmark in my projects folder.
This chair is a little one just for kids, its only 20 inches tall.

Bill Huber
01-02-2008, 7:57 PM
Bill,

Sorry I wasn't clean on what I meant. You still cut them with a jig saw close to the line, then put the template on and use the router to clean the edge up. With a starting pin it's easy on a router table. Whatever works for you is the best method though, just throwing my 2 cents in.

No Peter I was the one that didn't explain it right.

I did cut them out first with the jig saw and stayed on the outside of the line but and 1/8 or 1/16. I then put the template on that to do the finish on the router. But it just didn't look right to me, I know now it was the way I was looking at it. I went back to the shop tonight and looked at it again and I see no reason I couldn't do it on the router now, that will save some work.
I just look at things the wrong way some times and it take a little bit to get it in my head what really needs to be done and how to do it.

Bill Huber
01-02-2008, 7:59 PM
Bill - these are EXACTLY like the plans in the book I have at home - Rob

http://www.scouters.us/homecha.html

That is a larger chair and I think I could just scale it down. I really like the way they set the blocks into the rails to give it extra strength.

Thanks for the link...

Craig Earls
01-03-2008, 6:13 PM
Hope this helps.

It is all 3/4 inch stock

The chair is 20 inches tall.

The cross rungs are 2 1/4 x 12 inches long.

Perfect, thanks!