View Full Version : has anyone used the ridgid routers?

brad kellner
01-01-2008, 8:26 PM
has anyone had any experience with their routers? i have their 12" slidesaw, belt sander, 2 1/4 sheet sanders, twin tank compressor, finish nailer, 18 v 1/2 drill, 18v 1/2 hammer drill, 18v saws all, 18v impact driver (this is a great tool i wouldnt be without), 18 circular saw, 13.5 planer and numerous plumbing tools. and they have all been top notch quality. i have been thinking of buying a pair of their routers since they are garunteed for life and i cannot find any reviews on them that i really trust and nothing comparing them to the porter cable 690/890 router? so anyone have any info on them

Bob Goldsmith
01-01-2008, 8:48 PM
I have the Ridgid 2900 router kit and I like it for the most part. I haven't tried or owned many other different routers though. My main reason for purchasing the kit was the Lifetime Warranty that you mentioned also. I do have some reservations about the plunge base that I mentioned in this thread awhile back:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=72011

There are a couple of other comments from others in that thread and their experience with the router. I also have the PC 690 router and I use that and my Ridgid 2400 laminate trimmer for almost all of my non table work.

brad kellner
01-02-2008, 2:10 AM
i also have the 690 mounted in the table. im looking to leave it there. i got it from lowes for 40 bucks brand new in the box unopened. they said they were overstocked, who was i to judge so i bought it. it is a nice router but i had to buy a box to control the speed.

the only thing that is nerve racking about making the choice to buy it is that from looking around no one makes a lift for it .

frank shic
01-02-2008, 9:58 AM
love the router but hate the switch which you have to pull out to activate. switching routers is also a pain because there's a locking button that you have the press in while you're trying to switch bases and if you have the dust shroud attached, it's a pretty fun finger exercise to get at it.

brad kellner
01-02-2008, 11:31 AM
im planning to install them in some tables and set them and forget them so im not too worried about that. im buying a bosch combo kit for all of my out of table work. after reading the reviews it sounds like the choice for the out of table work.

frank shic
01-02-2008, 12:10 PM
if you hook the ridgid router up to an accessory switch like the kind rockler sells you should have no problems. i like the bosch better.

Cliff Rohrabacher
01-02-2008, 2:05 PM
I have the 690, and the Ridged with the combo base.
I gotta say Ridged did a fine job. The router is easier to use than the PC and a tad more sophisticated.