PDA

View Full Version : Where do you buy pen kits?

Randy Klein
01-01-2008, 6:30 PM
Getting into pen turning. Was wondering where everyone bought their pen kits from.

Is there a quality/price tradeoff with pen kits? If so, what's the typical tradeoff?

Or are they all the same and you should just find the cheapest source?

Bernie Weishapl
01-01-2008, 6:46 PM
Randy I buy mine from Ernie at Bear Tooth Woods. He is excellent to deal with and will take care of any problem in quick order. I also buy from Berea Hardwoods. They are also excellent to deal with. They aren't the cheapest but haven't had a problem in a couple of years. I have found the cheaper ones that I turned and sold all have the gold and other plating coming off. I buy the Titanum gold, upgrade Gold, Platinum, and Chrome. Like I said they aren't cheap but I saw a titanum gold and a chrome El Grande I did about a 1 1/2 yrs. ago, have been carried everyday and they still looked good. Just my humble opinion.

Cory Nelson
01-01-2008, 6:53 PM
I buy mine From woodzone locally but they have a website also, I really like thier new Comfort pen kits (basically a slimline with a thick center band) Makes the Pen look a bit more sophisticated being thicker, and still staying on the low cost end of a pen kit!

Earl Reid
01-01-2008, 6:55 PM
I get mine from Berea, very good service and price. Iget them in bulk and don't have to bother with the bags:rolleyes:(Larry has retired)
Earl

Greg Just
01-01-2008, 6:56 PM
I have been dealing with http://woodnwhimsies.com/ Great customer service

I do buy at Rockler and Woodcraft, but only when they have a sale.

John W. Willis
01-02-2008, 9:10 AM
http://www.woodturningz.com/ (http://www.woodturningz.com/)
Good prices, great products and fast shipping. Big sale on right now.

Scott Velie
01-02-2008, 9:16 AM
http://www.arizonasilhouette.com/

This is Bill Baumbecks website he is not the cheapest but he has great stuff. Unusual blanks like rattlesnake. (not a beginners blank).
He always throws something free in every order. (I love surprises like that).
Plus he is a Vet like me.

Scott

Jim Hill
01-02-2008, 10:45 AM
I second Arizona Silhouette. I've never had a problem with an order. Always pleased with the quality.

Jim

Paul Kinneberg
01-02-2008, 11:23 AM
WoodTurningz.com and Craft Supplies USA both offer great service and have had a good selection of supplies. I will try Berea Hardwoods next based on the reviews here it looks like they have some nice kits.

Randy Klein
01-02-2008, 12:51 PM
So is there anyone I should avoid for poor quality or customer service?

And how does Woodcraft kits stack up to Berea?

Montgomery Scott
01-02-2008, 12:51 PM
There are only three pen manufacturers/importers in the US; Penn State Industries, Berea Hardwoods and Craft Supply USA. All other companies are resellers of the kits that PSI and Berea imports. CSUSA is the only seller of their pens. IMO, PSI kits are inferior to the other companies and their epoxy coating with the lifetime warranty is a gimmick that does not work as advertised. I don't buy kits from them any more. As with all things, the more expensive the kit the higher quality it is. The cheap gold plated kits are good for gifts, but are not made to last in both the quality of the mechanism (if there is one), the nib (for fountain pens) and the durability of the plating.

Berea is a great company to do business with and I've purchased wood and pens from them over the past ten years, but over the past few years the offerings of the high end pens from CSUSA hav persuaded me to purchase from them and I've gotten in on a couple of the group buys through penturners.org and saved 25% in the process. I really like the emperor and lotus pen kits they offer because of the styling, size and plating quality and options they have, though $68 for a single pen kit is fairly steep.

Randy Klein
01-02-2008, 1:00 PM
There are only three pen manufacturers/importers in the US; Penn State Industries, Berea Hardwoods and Craft Supply USA. All other companies are resellers of the kits that PSI and Berea imports. CSUSA is the only seller of their pens. IMO, PSI kits are inferior to the other companies and their epoxy coating with the lifetime warranty is a gimmick that does not work as advertised. I don't buy kits from them any more. As with all things, the more expensive the kit the higher quality it is. The cheap gold plated kits are good for gifts, but are not made to last in both the quality of the machanism (if there is one), the nib (for fountain pens) and the durability of the plating.

Berea is a great company to do business with and I've purchased wood and pens from them over the past ten years, but over the past few years the offerings of the high end pens from CSUSA hav persuaded me to purchase from them and I've gotten in on a couple of the group buys through penturners.org and saved 25% in the process. I really like the emperor and lotus pen kits they offer because of the styling, size and plating quality and options they have, though $68 for a single pen kit is fairly steep.

That's something I didn't know, thanks. Do you happen to know which one Woodcraft sells? It doesn't say on the packaging.

Montgomery Scott
01-02-2008, 2:10 PM
Berea kits last time I looked, though it has been a while.

Dan Forman
01-02-2008, 3:53 PM
Most if not all of the Woodcraft kits are from Berea. I've found Arizona Sillhuette to be friendly and fast. They are a Berea reseller.

Dan