PDA

View Full Version : Which diamond hone for skew?

Dan Forman
01-01-2008, 4:31 PM
Alan Lacer recommends a "fine" diamond hone for the final step in sharpening a skew chisel. I remember reading that monocrystaline structure is more durable than poly. Woodcraft andf Craft Supply have a fine diamond hone at a reasonable price, but it doesn't say whether it is mono or poly. Can anyone recommend a good mono diamond hone of fine, or 600 grit, and where to get it? I know Duo sharp makes them, but I'm not sure about the ones with all of the little holes in the surface, whether that would be good for this purpose or not. I would also like something reasonable compact, 6 to 8", as lacer brings the stone to the tool, rather than tool to the stone.

Thanks.

Dan

Ken Fitzgerald
01-01-2008, 5:21 PM
Dan......CSUSA sells and advertises one they sell as the one "Alan Lacer" uses in his video. I bought it....about $28 IIRC....It works well.........fine 600 grit IIRC.Here's the link: http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/store/Sharpening___Honing___Big_Diamond_Honing_Stone___b ig_diamond_honing?Args=

Gordon Seto
01-01-2008, 5:31 PM
The one that Alan Lacer sells is excellent. The only down side is pricey. Both sides and one rounded edge are coated with diamond. You can use it as slip stone to hone the inside flute of gouges.

Gordon

John Sheets
01-01-2008, 5:33 PM
Take a look at alanlacer.com.

Bill Stevener
01-01-2008, 5:49 PM
Hi Dan, for what it's worth, I have used the diamond hone that is sold in Wally-World's fishing department. Only a few dollars and I have had the same hone for at least 15 years.

Dan Forman
01-01-2008, 6:21 PM
Thanks for the replies. After further research on the DMY site, it appears that the DMT "Dia Sharp" line is also mono c diamond, they just don't make a point of saying so as they do with the Duo Sharp line. I think those are the ones sold by Craft Supply and Woodcraft.

The Lacer one looks good, (nice website too) but is spendy, also only 4 1/2", though in use might not be an issue, I like the idea of having a little more real estate, to avoid getting the fingers into the act.:eek:

Bill---What size, shape, and grit is the Walmart hone you use? I called the store and they have two. One is just a lttle thing about 1" x 2" with no handles, the other is about 1" x 4", and has a handle. That one also has a metal mesh surface like the Duo Sharp stones.

Dan

Bernie Weishapl
01-01-2008, 6:32 PM
Dan I have the one on page 24 of the new CSUSA catalog. It is on the lower right for $28. 600 grit 2 1/2" X 6" X 1/4". It works pretty slick.

Randy Klein
01-01-2008, 6:47 PM
I have Shapton stones for my chisels and plane irons. Are those a good substitute for diamond honing? Or is the HSS too tough for Shaptons?

David Wilhelm
01-01-2008, 7:06 PM
Dan. I think you'll find one is small come with a leather pouch. the other larger one has it's own plastic case that doubles as a handle. I've got them both and several of the smaller ones. I carry a worn blue DMT in my pocket every day in a leather pouch. I have every stone they have and love them but they are pricey I just didn't like the larger walmart one for having in my pocket all day but like it fine when dressing my lathe tools. Just add water on either and keep them washed out. I use both the small and large one on my tools. If you want DMT check out ebay. Years ago the stones were sold in the pouch then i guess they went to the butterfly I have drilled the rivets out and trimmed the ends and had the same 6" stone. I have found the pouch sets on ebay for around 15 but i also picked up a sharpening jig set with all 4 stones for $40. that was a deal if you'd ever need the Xtra coarse.