PDA

View Full Version : Tissue box cover

Rob Bourgeois
02-25-2004, 10:44 AM
This a gift for my wife. Its is made from ambrosia maple, wenge and lace wood. The white squares on the corners are maple to hide the "features" of routing too far. It was a project of my own design using what I thought would be a interesting combination of woods. The pictures dont show the red and gold tones in the lace wood. The frame sits on the box in dadoes. The box was cut from the same piece of wood to get a good grain transition between sides.

The finish is 3 coats of BLO/terps/poly. I didnt finish the inside with oil or poly to avoid nasty oil smells in the tissues. The inside is finished with shellac.

Kurt Aebi
02-25-2004, 11:01 AM
Cool!

Looks nice, I'm sure she will like it.

Kurt

Ken Garlock
02-25-2004, 11:50 AM
That is an excellent solution to a problem that nearly everyone has. It is a very attractive box. I wish I had thought of it. :cool:

Rob Bourgeois
02-25-2004, 12:21 PM
That is an excellent solution to a problem that nearly everyone has. It is a very attractive box. I wish I had thought of it. :cool:

I didnt think of it, I just changed the idea a bit. The ones I have seen were scroll saw fret work. I decided I didnt have time to try that and went with more traditional wood working.

Carl Eyman
02-25-2004, 1:12 PM
I always wonder how I can join the corners of boxes that have thin walls, hence I don't make them. How do you do it? Whatever method you used it sure looks well done.

Rob Bourgeois
02-25-2004, 1:32 PM
I always wonder how I can join the corners of boxes that have thin walls, hence I don't make them. How do you do it? Whatever method you used it sure looks well done.

Hi Carl...

I know some may not like my methods but it works for this type of low stress box. I rabbeted the side and left just a 1/8 inch of wood to cover the end grain of the other side. Then rounded over the corners to make that 1/8 edge taper to nothing at the edge. Whats not visible in the picture is how it makes the edge look as if it continious as if the box was bent into shape. I can only say that the joint has lasted for 3 months, time will tell how good it is.

I am originally from outside of New Orleans. I have a wood working friend down there in Schiever. Dont eat too much crawfish this Lent, its the main thing I miss about not being in LA. Thanks for the compliment

Chris Padilla
02-25-2004, 2:57 PM
How about a corner shot, Rob? :) Your joint sounds pretty cool and a good idea at that.

Rob Bourgeois
02-25-2004, 4:52 PM
How about a corner shot, Rob? :) Your joint sounds pretty cool and a good idea at that.

I will try to get one..for tonight and post it.

Byron Trantham
02-25-2004, 5:35 PM
Rob, beautiful box! Hiding features is a sign of a very good craftsman! :D

Rob Bourgeois
02-26-2004, 10:44 AM

Chris

Heres the joint detail and a shot of the corner to show the grain wrapping around. Sorry I could not get it on last night, the camera was left at work.