PDA

View Full Version : Powermatic 66 Restore Complete.

Chris Rosenberger
01-01-2008, 3:41 PM
About a month ago I sold 3 machines & took a heavly used 1991 Powermatic 66 as part payment. I have been using Unisaws in the shop, but decided I wanted to give the PM 66 a try. After I got into it, I found the saw to be in pretty good shape. I replace bearings, polished the table, changed the motor to 3 phase, added a Unifence, repainted & built an outfeed table. I had an Excalbur sliding table on the Unisaw, so I added it to the PM66. The metal motor cover would not work with the Excalbur table so I built a wood motor cover. I am very happy with the way it turned out.

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o303/chrisrosenb/Powermatic66AMurry.jpg

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o303/chrisrosenb/Powermatic66Murry.jpg

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o303/chrisrosenb/Powermatic66.jpg

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o303/chrisrosenb/Powermatic66A.jpg

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o303/chrisrosenb/Powermatic66B.jpg

Terry Kelly
01-01-2008, 4:04 PM
Most Excellent!!! Great job it really looks awesome...

Bruce Page
01-01-2008, 4:11 PM
That turned out great. Nice looking shop too. Have you done a shop tour yet?

Jay Brewer
01-01-2008, 4:41 PM
Beautiful work Chris, everything turned out superb.

Jim O'Dell
01-01-2008, 4:48 PM
I agree...VERY NICELY DONE!!
Now, is that OSB on the floor? What type of finish does it have on it? And I second Bruce's comment. We need a shop tour complete with more pictures! Jim.

Michael Short
01-01-2008, 5:11 PM
Excellent setup for this saw. I really like the infeed / outfeed setup that you have. You have another vote here for a post of a shop tour. Thanks for sharing your restoration.

Rob Haskell
01-01-2008, 5:12 PM
Hi
Where did you get the new motor? I've got the same table saw, held up fine with many years of hard use on wood and aluminum.
thanks
Rob

Brodie Brickey
01-01-2008, 5:34 PM
Very nice job. What was your method for polishing the table top?

Thanks,

Brodie

Rich Torino
01-01-2008, 6:19 PM
All I can say is Wow.... talk about making a diamond out of a lump of coal.. Well Done

Chris Rosenberger
01-01-2008, 6:44 PM
Thank for all of the replies.

Bruce,
I have not done a shop tour. I have been making alot of changes in the shop the last 2 months. I still have a few more to do. I will see after that.

Jim,
That is OSB on the floor. The shop has a crawl sapce. I finished it with 3 coats of polyurathane.

Rob,
The motor was an older 3hp 3ph motor I had on hand.

Bodie,
The top was the biggest challenge. Someone had used a belt sander with a coarse belt on the top. It had alot of scratches. I did not want to spend the money to have the top reground. I used my Festool Rotex 150 sander to resurface the top. I started with 100 grit paper & worked up to a micron grit paper that I use on solid surface tops. I got most of the scratches out.

Jeffrey Makiel
01-01-2008, 6:47 PM
Wow! What a sawing station! I'm jealous.

-Jeff :)

Roy Wall
01-01-2008, 6:53 PM
Chris -

Beautifully done - are the drawer/storage under the extension wing homemade?

Fabulous work - love the outfeed table (that's the way to do it if you have room).

Lastly -- is that an old General Lathe way in the back?

NICE SHOP!!!

scott spencer
01-01-2008, 7:02 PM
Great job....it does my heart good to see a nice piece of machinery restored!

Doug Shepard
01-01-2008, 7:05 PM
Very nice. So what's the verdict on the PM vs Unisaw switch? Just curious.

Joe Mioux
01-01-2008, 7:09 PM
What a great restoration... You did great!....

Dennis Kelly
01-01-2008, 7:14 PM
Great Job Chris,
What type of blade guard do you have? It looks very convenient and sturdy.

Dennis

Chris Rosenberger
01-01-2008, 8:14 PM
Thanks again.

Roy,
The drawer unit is home made. It was from my old setup.
The lathe is a General 260, 20". It is around 12 years old.
I had an 5' bed extension on it. That was one of the items in the deal for this saw.

Doud,
As far as cutting, I cannot see much difference. Both saws cut very well. One of the main reasons for making the change was the larger throat opening & the dust door. My hands do not work as well as they used to. I was having alot of trouble changing blades on the Unisaws. If I dropped the nut inside the saw, it took alot of time to get it out. The PM66 has more room to change the blade & if I do drop the nut, I just remove the dust door. The thing I think I am really going to like is the left tilt. I never gave it alot of thought before. I really liked it when making the motor cover.

Dennis,
The blade guard is a Biesemeyer guard. I have been using them for over 18 years.

Rich Schneider
01-01-2008, 8:32 PM
I had the same problem with my Exactor sliding table on my new PM 2000 when I switched it off my Unisaw (From my understanding the Exactor and the Excalibur tables are very similar). The cover and the bracket interfered by about 1/4". I called Exactor and they told me they make an alternate bracket with a lower profile so the motor cover clears for jus this situation. It was about $25.00 with shipping and 4 days later the problem was solved.

The metal motor cover would not work with the Excalbur table so I built a wood motor cover.