PDA

View Full Version : Which Table Saw Hold Downs?

Brian Kent
01-01-2008, 2:11 PM
I am looking for the safest and easiest to use hold-downs for a table saw.

What do you use / recommend?

I always use a splitter but not always the pawls, so I am looking for a solution that works with all rip cuts (including non-through cuts).

I have a Shop Fox fence that is tubular steel with HDPE plastic faces.

Chuck Tringo
01-01-2008, 2:31 PM
I use a GRRRRIPPER push tool, and am considdering getting a second, I like it alot.

glenn bradley
01-01-2008, 2:34 PM
Two Grr-Rippers here along with various special purpose shop made push blocks.

Alan Lilly
01-01-2008, 9:10 PM
How do you use 2 grippers at the same time?

Cary Swoveland
01-01-2008, 10:39 PM
How do you use 2 grippers at the same time?

Hand-over-hand or, for simultaneous cuts on two saws, one per saw.

I've used both Grrrrrrippers and (yellow-wheeled) Board Buddies. I much prefer the latter, though both are well-represented by their advocates on this forum.

When using BB's, note there are both in-out and up-down adjustments. Initially, after setting the in-out adjustment during installation, I just used the up-down screw adjustment. I then came to realize that it was helpful to also vary the in-out adjustment, and now do that for many cuts.

Cary

Loren Hedahl
01-01-2008, 11:52 PM
It depends a lot on what you are cutting.

The Board Buddies take more time to set up, but if you are ripping a lot of strips over, say several dozen 8 footers to 3 inches, I set up the Buddies.

If I am doing just a few, I go with a pair of those magnetic Grip-Tite hold downs, especially if I am cutting a lot of different widths.

When I cut real thin strips, I also have a set of spring steel hold downs that I like the best.

I've looked at the Grrrippers, and they might just be all I'd need, but since I'm pretty well outfitted in that area, I haven't tried them.

Pat Germain
01-01-2008, 11:54 PM
Love my Board Buddies, baby! They're great for sheet goods, but can get in the way of other cuts.

Alan Lilly
01-02-2008, 12:06 AM
Which do you guys/gals think is better?

The popular board buddies:
http://woodworker.com/anti-kickback.htm

The rollers that David Marks uses on woodworks:
http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=3794

Bob Wingard
01-02-2008, 12:33 AM
I use a pair of the ones from Woodworker's Supply (which, by the way are currently on sale - 1/2 off) and a pair of GRRRIPPERS. Whenever practical, I also use a power feeder. They're pricey, but so are E.R. Surgeons.

Don Bullock
01-02-2008, 10:41 AM
Which do you guys/gals think is better?

The popular board buddies:
http://woodworker.com/anti-kickback.htm

The rollers that David Marks uses on woodworks:
http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=3794

Alan, I think you switched the two links. The link you posted for WoodCraft in the Board buddies. I've never seen the other ones. They look interesting and I'd like to know more about them.

David Weaver
01-02-2008, 10:56 AM
I use the entire grip-tite set, including the steel fence cover. It's quick to set up. I use it in coordination with an MJ splitter, and on really thin strips - a standard push stick at the end of the cut. Total cost of the whole thing is about $150, so it's not as cheap as board buddies, but you can use the grip tite featherboards on any ferrous table-top, and they are really stable for what they are.

Lee Schierer
01-02-2008, 11:25 AM
The Grip Tites can also be used on your bandsaw or jointer. the best part is they set up really quicly and can be romeoved really quickly. It literally takes 5 seconds to set them up.

The best hold down system you can buy is one that you will actually use. I can tell you from experience that my Grip Tites actually get used regularly.

Al Killian
01-02-2008, 6:31 PM
WI had my ts, I used the yellow ones from Grizzly(same as Woodcraft). They where easy to adjust and simple to remove if not needed for that cut.

Brian Kent
01-02-2008, 7:17 PM
So far so good - no warnings about any of these not working.

All three (grr-rippers, board buddies and grip-tite) make sense and seem to hav good reviews from you folks. All three make sense for some degree of hand safety (marking a warning area) as well as the kickback issue. Probably would look funny if I used all three at the same time!

Roger Bell
01-02-2008, 8:59 PM
I didn't care for the board buddies. I found them troublesome to set up and ended up not using them much. So I sold them and got the Grip Tites. The Grip tites are pretty nice, but I like this new kid in town a whole lot better:

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p=55999&cat=1,42363,42356

The magnets on these are drawn up into the unit. You can very easily slide the feather board against the work, positioning it very precisely.... and quickly twist each magnet until it drops down and engages. This type of fine setting is much harder to do with the Grip Tite. The top feather board (the hold down) engages with two wing nuts. Naturally, you can also flex those "feathers" for a sounder hold prior to tightening.

It is a lot better than the kind of featherboard that engages in the miter slot.

Rick Gifford
01-03-2008, 12:34 AM
I didn't care for the board buddies. I found them troublesome to set up and ended up not using them much. So I sold them and got the Grip Tites. The Grip tites are pretty nice, but I like this new kid in town a whole lot better:

The magnets on these are drawn up into the unit. You can very easily slide the feather board against the work, positioning it very precisely.... and quickly twist each magnet until it drops down and engages. This type of fine setting is much harder to do with the Grip Tite. The top feather board (the hold down) engages with two wing nuts. Naturally, you can also flex those "feathers" for a sounder hold prior to tightening.

It is a lot better than the kind of featherboard that engages in the miter slot.

Thats a nice item. I like the concept.

Alan Lilly
01-03-2008, 12:46 AM
I built these a couple of years ago... of course I didn't originate the idea... I found something similar on the web. Harbor freight hold downs and rockler feather boards with some custom woodworking. Cost me less than 25 dollars to build both, but a bunch of time spent thinking and constructing. I wish the new mag feathers were available then, I would have bought them, even though they are pretty expensive.

http://home.comcast.net/%7Epanofish/pics/feather1.jpg

http://home.comcast.net/%7Epanofish/pics/feather2.jpg

http://home.comcast.net/%7Epanofish/pics/feather3.jpg

Chuck Burns
01-03-2008, 2:12 AM

I bought one of these and like it; but (there is always a but isn't there?) I wish it had stronger magnets. While it would be difficult to lift it up off the saw, on a well waxed top it can slip sideways and reduce pressure on the board.

It could be my problem. I only bought one to try and maybe I'm asking too much of it. Maybe I need two. I use mine on the shaper too and like the fact that it is independent of the miter slot.

Aaron Beaver
01-03-2008, 10:43 AM
My favorites are the Grr-Rippers, have two. One had all the bells and whistles and the other was the standard version. I use them the most and like them the best.

Board Buddies: Have a set but don't use them that often, when cutting a narrow piece between the fence and blade (narrow meaning 2"-4") they seem to get in the way when trying to push the wood through with a push stick.

Grip Tite: Have one and don't like for the table saw, just never felt comfortable with it. Seemed to move around on me. Have used it on the bandsaw and it I didn't mind it there.

Rod Sheridan
01-03-2008, 11:56 AM
I am looking for the safest and easiest to use hold-downs for a table saw.

What do you use / recommend?

Brian, at the risk of being a smart ass............

1) The safest is a stock feeder since it always provides pressure and direction, and feeds at a constant rate.

I use mine for repetitive rips such as making a lot of rails or stiles, or grooving and dadoeing because I'm just plain chicken.

2) I use board Buddies, they seem to work very well most of the time.

3) My saw has a "T" slot mitre groove so I made some feather boards that use "T" nuts to attach and adjust them. They do not slip in the mitre groove.

Regards, Rod.

Roger Bell
01-03-2008, 10:03 PM
[QUOTE=Chuck Burns;734834]

"I bought one of these and like it; but (there is always a but isn't there?) I wish it had stronger magnets. While it would be difficult to lift it up off the saw, on a well waxed top it can slip sideways and reduce pressure on the board".

I haven't had mine very long, but I did use it all day yesterday and did a bunch of cuts on 8/4 red oak. Mine didn't slip at all, even with the feathers compressed. My table is TopCoted over wax. Perhaps that is the reason.

I did buy two of the (smaller sized) magnets themselves to make a single point resaw fence for the bandsaw....and man, those two magnets slip sideways way too much....and at just the wrong time. So I now have to back up the homemade magnetic fence, once set, with the cast iron stock fence. Jeepers, I could have built a wood only fence for nothing and clamped it to the cast iron fence if I had known. Which is probably what I will do....and use the magnets for something else.

Your point is taken...and perhaps the maker should consider putting in bigger magnets yet or adding additional magnets on manufactured safety items that you are counting on to hold. These should really be close to fail safe.

Brian Dormer
01-04-2008, 5:00 PM
Two Grrripers is the most flexible setup you'll ever find. I *had* (past tense) some of those hold down roller things - what a PITA!

Brian Kent
01-04-2008, 5:55 PM
Rod, I am totally new to the world of stock feeders. Could you direct me to what you consider to be sufficient quality and size?

Chuck Burns
01-05-2008, 1:33 AM
Rod, I am totally new to the world of stock feeders. Could you direct me to what you consider to be sufficient quality and size?

Not Rod, but I did buy a power feeder today. Well, I ordered it today; UPS has it in transit and it should show up on the 9th.

After much research I decided on an Italian Steff Maggi 2038 CI. It's a 1HP 230V, 8 speed, 3 wheel size but with belt or tractor feed instead of rollers. I plan on using it primarily on my shaper but I think I'll end up getting a second base to put on my table saw too.