PDA

View Full Version : Wilton Woodworking Vise

Vince Shriver
01-01-2008, 1:59 PM
Has anyone used this vise. I'd really like some feedback before I order this thing. Because of the restrictions on my bench, most vises are too wide between the guide bars. This Wilton would fit as it's designed with a single centered screw/guide mechanism. Anyone? TIA, Vince

Zahid Naqvi
01-01-2008, 4:29 PM
Vince, Wilton makes several vises, which one are you talking about, can you post a link or a picture perhaps.

Larry Laffer
01-01-2008, 4:48 PM
Probably this one..

http://www.amazon.com/Wilton-63144-Heavy-Duty-Woodworking-Vise/dp/B00062NEKK/ref=pd_bbs_7?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1199224047&sr=8-7

Rick Whitehead
01-01-2008, 7:53 PM
I have one of the Wilton vises with the swiveling jaw. After using it a few years, I can say I have mixed feelings about it.There are things I like and dislike about it.
I had thought the pivoting jaw would be more useful than it is. I have used it to hold tapered work, and it does that well. However, if you try to hold something on one side of the vise, the jaw pivots, as it was intended to do, and doesn't hold the work securely. So, I had to take the pivoting jaw off if I want to hold something on one side, and put a pad between the outer side and the work. It was a hassle.
I ended up following a suggestion that my uncle Pete made after I told him about my problems with the vise. He suggested that I cut two wooden wedges and place them between the pivoting and fixed jaws. That prevents the jaws from pivoting, and makes it operate more like a regular woodworking vise. Now, if I want to use the pivoting feature, I just pull out the wedges. It's a lot easier then removing the jaw.
There is one thing I really like about it. That is that the front jaw slides up and acts as a full-width vise dog.
Recently the vise has begun to stick in the closed position. I haven't lubricated it or anything since I got it.
All in all, it's a lot better vise than the old one I had. That one had two 3/4" guide rods that would bend if I tightened it down very much.
If I were looking for a new vise to replace it, I would look at one of the Jorgensens. I have had one of the larger Jorgensen woodworking vises at work for many years, and I'm happy with it.
Rick

John Schreiber
01-01-2008, 11:07 PM
I haven't got one, but it is on my short list to use as a tail vise on the bench I'm about to start building. As Rick said above, it isn't quite a jack of all trades vise and if I were just going to have one vise, I don't think that would be it.

For similar money, you can get some Anant vises (http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=325)from Highland Hardware which are more versatile.

Glenn Madsen
01-02-2008, 11:46 PM
I bought one from a member of our woodworking club some years back. It's still sitting in the box on the bottom shelf behind some tools that never get moved. There's not much money invested, but probably more than it's worth.

Vises are tools where, if you want inexpensive, you should consider working up something with parts available at some of the retailers. And if you have the cash, then buying one of the better, quick release, well made, super models from the usual suspects is probably a good deal.

I'm using one I bought from Garrett Wade, out of a catalog, before I found the Internet wooddorking fora. Works pretty well. NOT a gloatable price. Won't wear it out in my lifetime, though.

Good and cheap is a gloat, and not all that common, IME.

Don Dorn
01-03-2008, 1:52 PM
A friend of mine has one and honestely, I don't care for it very much. I see that he fights it a little bit. The quick release isn't by a lever, but by raising it and pushing/pulling it. The problem I saw is that when you've done that, it seems to take two or three turns of the handle and you think that it isn't engauged yet but eventually it tightens.

I bought the Jet 9" woodworking vise and I'm actually very happy with it. It's not of "Record" quality I guess, but the lever quick release works perfectly and it's very stout.

Bill Brehme
01-03-2008, 2:13 PM
Is it me, or does the 7" x 4" seem sorta small for a face vise?:confused:

Rob Millard
01-04-2008, 10:53 AM
Vince,
I have one with the tilting jaw. I think mine is the smaller size. It is my primary vise, which I have used every day for about 8 years and it has work very well. Once in a while it needs some grease, because it starts to let out this annoying squeak. I really like the tilting jaw because I would alot with tapered legs.

Rob Millard

Steve Rozmiarek
01-14-2008, 12:01 AM
I've got one, the bigger size, on my bench, and it's a good vise. I like the action of the screw mechanisim, and the general idea behind the design. I do wish that the jaws had a device to lock the pivoting jaw centered, but as one of the previous guys said, use wedges if you need to. I have always just stuck a piece of scrap, of similar thickness to the work, in the other side of the jaw, and problem solved. It would be easy to drill holes and tap, to make a couple of thumbscrews that can adjust the range of pivot.

If Rob can use his to build the things he builds, mine is really not living up to its full potential!