PDA

View Full Version : Bosch 4000-9 vs 4100-9 TS

Ian Haywood
01-01-2008, 1:20 PM
Hi, first real question here. I'm looking at mobile table saws and think I have it narrowed down to either of those two. Are the 4100's extras like the riving knife, the upgraded blade shroud and T-slots worth an extra $133? This will be my first TS and I don't know if the difference is really worth the added expense.

thanks,
Ian

glenn bradley
01-01-2008, 1:31 PM
In a word, yes. I'll assume since you have targeted a benchtop saw in this price range that you need the benchtop size and stowability(?). If not, you are getting in the range of a good contractor saw: http://www.grizzly.com/products/10-Table-Saw-2-HP-Single-Phase-220V-w-Cast-Wings/G0444Z

or hybrid saw if found on sale:

http://www.toolsofthetrade.net/industry-news.asp?sectionID=1476&articleID=501503&artnum=3

Rick Gifford
01-01-2008, 2:00 PM
Well I have the 4000-9, and havent used the 4100 so I cant give a comparison.

I can only say the Bosch contractors saw is a good one for the money. A real workhorse. Especially good if you are limited on space and need to stow it away.

Ian Haywood
01-01-2008, 2:40 PM
Yes, I need to stow it when not using it. I'll actually probably be hanging it above my barn door (inside naturally) via a pulley and rope contraption. Space is a premium. I might actually buy one of those stands and put my planer on it so it can hang right beside the saw. I've got it on a homemade stand at the moment.

thanks,
Ian

John Newell
01-01-2008, 3:05 PM
Have a 4100 not a 4000...but for my money, yes...the improved guard/pawls/riving knife are worth it because you might actually use them rather than take them off and lose them, as I almost did with my last saw.

Another plus is the ability to buy, or add later, the Bosch digital readout, which I find very useful (around $90-100 if you shop around).

I'm quite pleased with my 4100.

The stand, by the way, is ingenious.

Phil Thien
01-01-2008, 3:34 PM
I'll actually probably be hanging it above my barn door (inside naturally) via a pulley and rope contraption.

I'm envisioning a completely new type of table saw accident. :eek:

Anyway, yes, those features are worth the extra $133. They also have better dust control and a better tilt mechanism (I'm told, have not seen).

Ian Haywood
01-01-2008, 3:41 PM
I'm envisioning a completely new type of table saw accident. :eek:

I'll be sure to post pics... LOL

Ian

Tim Marks
01-01-2008, 5:24 PM
Yes, I need to stow it when not using it. I'll actually probably be hanging it above my barn door
You have a barn and NO room for your tools? Where are your priorites....

Ian Haywood
01-01-2008, 5:39 PM
Lemme see... it's a 25x30 barn and in there are my chainsaws and their workbench, my bullet casting equipment and their workbench, my wife's pottery workbench plus her throwing wheel and kiln and garden tools plus my regular mechanic toolbox too.... nope, got no room for stationary woodworking toolage.... :)

Ian

glenn bradley
01-01-2008, 5:46 PM
Lemme see... it's a 25x30 barn and in there are my chainsaws and their workbench, my bullet casting equipment and their workbench, my wife's pottery workbench plus her throwing wheel and kiln and garden tools plus my regular mechanic toolbox too.... nope, got no room for stationary woodworking toolage.... :)

Ian

It is wonderful that you guys have such an active and creative life. But back to Tim's question . . . where are your priorities? :D:D:D

Ian Haywood
01-01-2008, 6:23 PM
I can see now that the "kidd glove" phase of my stay here has expired already. Good. I'd hate the guys to have to be abnormally gentle. It's just not natural... :D

Ian

Ian Haywood
02-02-2008, 7:13 PM
Ordered the 4100-9 this afternoon for $599, free shipping. I didn't get the digital fence option. A buddy of mine gave me 3 blades for it that he's had for a long while.. all steel, no carbide. 2 combination blades and one rip.

Ian

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a193/imh_98/blades.jpg

John Newell
02-02-2008, 8:20 PM
I think you'll be very happy.

When I bought mine no one had the digital fence option in stock. I bought it separately and the difference was only about $10, so you can definitely add it later without any real economic penalty. (I find it extremely useful, but YMMV.)