PDA

View Full Version : Hollowing Practice With a Touch of Ebonizing

Christopher K. Hartley
01-01-2008, 12:03 PM
I started out practicing my hollowing on a piece of red oak. It had some pretty bad checks in it so I didn't think if I ruined it it was much of a loss. Cracks got pretty bad. I did pretty well on the hollowing and got it down to a bit less than 1/4" (this is all hand hollowing and not my rig). After I finished I did an experiment with the old rust and vinegar ebonizing treatment. I applied about four coats and got this color. I made a little ash collar and now I have another unfinished piece of junk. Oh well good practice. it is 4 3/4" X 7 1/2" with a 1 7/8 opening. Any comments for future work of this kind welcome.:)

Brodie Brickey
01-01-2008, 1:37 PM
Christopher,

Nice work.

Bill Bolen
01-01-2008, 1:45 PM
Well Chris...your junk=my prized work! Nice piece. BTW what is " old rust and vinegar ebonizing treatment"? I've not herd of it and it looks to leave a nice "Old timey" finish on oak..Bill

Jim Becker
01-01-2008, 4:28 PM
Wow...quite a color, Chris! Nice....

Steve Schlumpf
01-01-2008, 5:14 PM
Nice hollow form Chris! Hopefully you will find some oak that isn't in such bad shape and turn one as a keeper. I do like the color you achieved with your solution - keep that in mind as it works well!

Bernie Weishapl
01-01-2008, 6:58 PM
Chris that is a great piece. I like the form and the finish you put on. Collar looks good.

Tom Sherman
01-02-2008, 12:52 PM
I'll tell you honestly Chris I would be extremely happy if my JUNK looked this good.

robert hainstock
01-02-2008, 3:34 PM
OK, whats the formula? sounds a lot like my solution of ferric nitrete and alcohol,(liquid rust).:)
Bob

Christopher K. Hartley
01-04-2008, 8:35 AM
OK, whats the formula? sounds a lot like my solution of ferric nitrete and alcohol,(liquid rust).:)
BobPromise not to laugh first...I had an old tool box that my dad had had that got wet and the sockets inside it got wet as well. It sat for years and developed a considerable amount of rust so I used that mixed with apple vinegar about 8oz. I applied with a soft cloth let dry and repeated. Each coat took me to a deeper color. The rust can come from any source. Some people use wet steel wool to create the rust then do the mix. Very easy.:)