PDA

View Full Version : T-track and hardware

Marc Prudhomme
01-01-2008, 11:59 AM
I have been looking around on the internet for the cheapest place to buy that t-track aluminum material to make fence stops an jigs.There is quite a big difference in price.Does anyone know of any good places to get the stuff.(Also the knob hardware)
Marc

Jim Becker
01-01-2008, 12:07 PM
Peachtree is a good source, but just about any of the woodworking retailers have this kind of thing...and each tends to have a different color, LOL! Blue from Rockler, Red from Hartville Tool, gold from Woodpeckers...when A&I was in business, theirs was green, etc.

Rob Blaustein
01-01-2008, 12:09 PM
Marc,
I'm no t-track expert--I've used it for a few jigs--but I have discovered something that I'm sure other's have realized and it's worth mentioning. Price aside, there are also differences in style. I almost posted about this frustration recently as I was building a jig and found that one piece I had was very different from the other (purchased from different places). For example, some will accommodate 1/4-20 bolts and some (I think Lee Valley) require special nuts specifically designed for that t-track. And some require a deeper dado (eg Incra). Some have predrilled holes, some don't. So if you have lots of 1/4-20 bolts around and you want to be able to use those, make sure you get t-track that will allow that. And pay attention to the dimensions to ensure that it will work with the thickness of wood you have or want to use. It's dizzying sometimes.

To answer your question--most of the big supply places sell some form of it. I've gotten it from Lee Valley, McFeely's, and some other place, but I can't recall the name. Price can vary by up to 30% or so, if I recall.

Marc Prudhomme
01-01-2008, 12:12 PM
Sounds like a bit of a Christmas color scheme going on there.
Peachtree is a good source, but just about any of the woodworking retailers have this kind of thing...and each tends to have a different color, LOL! Blue from Rockler, Red from Hartville Tool, gold from Woodpeckers...when A&I was in business, theirs was green, etc.

Gary Keedwell
01-01-2008, 12:13 PM
Real good info Rob....I guess you can't judge a track by it's color.

Gary

Jim O'Dell
01-01-2008, 12:32 PM
Peachtree is where I got the heavy duty track I have now. I still need one more piece. I got it at the Woodworking Show about 2 years ago. It was 40.00 for an 8' stick. 50.00 on their website. Peachtree does still have a 25% off sale through 1/3/08.
"At Check Out Enter This Code end07
When You See The Screen Shown Below

http://www.admail.net/image/5843/?c=bcb7c7 (http://www.admail.net/url/330830/b09c88/)
"

Hope this helps. Oh, and they usually have some knobs thrown in on the t-track. They also have multiple styles of knobs from star shaped to lever handles. Jim.

edit: Funny thing happened after I wrote the above. I placed the order for that last piece of t-track I needed. :eek: Decided it would be less than what I paid for it at the show, and I don't have to pay for parking or a ticket to get in!! way :cool: !! :D

Doug Hobkirk
01-01-2008, 1:01 PM
I've been looking myself. My prices are based on the best price I found via Google for 4' lengths and I think they accept regular hex head bolts. My conclusions:
Incra T-tracks are pretty impressive and extra deep - $4.25/foot
Incra Plus T-tracks are a superb bargain when you want a measuring tape included - $5/foot
Peachtree is good -
Mini T - $4.50/foot (-25% for next 2 days)
HD T - $5/foot
McMaster Carr, an industrial source (never seen the product but I assume it's good) - 3/4 W x 1/2 D - $2.25/foot
8020 products - eBay has good choices - this is designed for building benches w/o wood, and the dimensions are quite different than the above - the prices are approximate and vary -
1 track -
1" W x 1/2" D - $2/foot
1.5" x .75" - $3.40/foot (5/16 bolts)
2 tracks, side by side - useful in some applications -
Two 1" W x 1/2" D - $3/foot
Two 1.5" x .75" - $6/foot (5/16 bolts)

Marc Prudhomme
01-01-2008, 1:05 PM
oh buy the way.Where can you get just the measureing tape?
I've been looking myself. My prices are based on the best price I found via Google for 4' lengths and I think they accept regular hex head bolts. My conclusions:

Incra T-tracks are pretty impressive and extra deep - $4.25/foot
Incra Plus T-tracks are a superb bargain when you want a measuring tape included - $5/foot
Peachtree is good -
Mini T - $4.50/foot (-25% for next 2 days)
HD T - $5/foot
McMaster Carr, an industrial source (never seen the product but I assume it's good) - 3/4 W x 1/2 D - $2.25/foot
8020 products - eBay has good choices - this is designed for building benches w/o wood, and the dimensions are quite different than the above - the prices are approximate and vary -

1 track -
1" W x 1/2" D - $2/foot
1.5" x .75" - $3.40/foot (5/16 bolts)
2 tracks, side by side - useful in some applications -

Two 1" W x 1/2" D - $3/foot
Two 1.5" x .75" - $6/foot (5/16 bolts)

Greg Cuetara
01-01-2008, 1:17 PM
If you are not in a hurry Rockler typically has a 4' kit with the bolts and knobs on sale for 9.99 every few months. I picked up a few of the kits a while ago and have one sitting my basement waiting for the next jig etc for me to make. I think right now it is 19.99 which is still a pretty good deal considering what you get for knobs and t-bolts.
Good luck.
Greg

George Bowen
01-01-2008, 1:21 PM
Harbor Freight used to have 2' sections for $3.99 I bought a bunch of it a few months ago, doesn't look like they have on their site now though.

glenn bradley
01-01-2008, 1:25 PM
Rockler frequently has this set (http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=5209&filter=t%20track)on sale for 50% off. I prefer the Rockler stuff as it uses 5/16" T-bolts intead of 1/4". For lighter duty stuff I do run the 1/4" stuff. Peachtree or T-Track USA (http://www.ttrackusa.com/)are good sources for this. There is also a heavy duty track (http://www.ttrackusa.com/track_%20systems.htm) with 1/8" thich walls that is nice also but runs 3/8" bolts so it can be bulky for smaller requirements..

Lee Koepke
01-01-2008, 2:29 PM
i just bought the 19.99 set from rockler, actually i just ordered a second set ....

John Gornall
01-01-2008, 3:04 PM
Lee Valley has an interesting track they call "Double T-Slot Track" It has projections out the bottom sides so you can slip it into a slot in your jig and it needs no screws to hold it in place. I have found it usefull at times.

Phil Thien
01-01-2008, 3:43 PM
I really like the Rockler stuff, and I especially like the router-bit that allows you to cut your own t-slots in your substrate. This allows you to skip having to purchase all that expensive aluminum track, and the wood slots I've created are very durable:

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=1572

Here is a sled I made with the t-slot bit.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=60683&d=1174356099

Chuck Lenz
01-01-2008, 3:49 PM
I just bought a 4 ft section from Woodpeckers a couple weeks ago for about $15 delivered on closeout. Nice heavy stuff.

JayStPeter
01-01-2008, 4:19 PM
I bought a bunch from woodpeckers on sale a couple years ago at a real good price. I'm about out now, so I'll have to pay attention for another sale sometime this year. As mentioned, pick a kind and only buy stuff that is fundamentally compatible. Some (like woodpeck) use 1/4-20 hardware and support the bolt head within the track. That's the only kind I use anymore so that stops and jigs I build can be moved around and I only have to stock one type of hardware to make new jigs. I buy all my jig hardware at woodpecker in 1/4-20 and keep enough on hand to build some pretty complex jigs when the mood strikes.

Jay

Mike Heidrick
01-01-2008, 5:36 PM
I ordered 5 sets of the Rockler kits when they went on sale a couple years ago. I used a bunch on my clamp rack wall unit. The toilet bolts from Lowes fit this track and is what I used to anchor all the blocks to the T-track with - bought out 3 stores worth of their contractor bags of Toilet Bolts. That idea came from a shopnotes article.

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e169/BloomingtonMike/clamps2.jpg

Doug Hobkirk
01-01-2008, 6:44 PM
Phil (of Cyclone-Lid-With-Baffle fame) -

I agree with you about the DIY T-track for all non-critical purposes.

Ryobi BT3 users are fanatics about the sliding table advantages, but I think your sled is very impressive!

PS - I have two BT3's but am using a circular saw with the EZ system more and more and the table saws less.

Jeffrey Makiel
01-01-2008, 6:57 PM
I too have three sets of Rockler's track and knob kits. For the sale price, it's hard to beat. The sets come on sale often via email flyer.

Mike...can you ever have enough clamps? Wow, nice organization! :)

-Jeff :)

Jeffrey Makiel
01-02-2008, 12:40 AM
Well, whatta ya know. Rockler just sent me a New Years Day email flyer with the track kit on sale with free shipping. Here's the linky...

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=5209

-Jeff :)

Jim Thiel
01-02-2008, 12:30 PM
Also worth noting are the sales on Amazon, I picked up some incra track with a 4 for 3 promotion. I don't know if that deal is still on, seems they were shipped just after Thanksgiving.

Jim