PDA

View Full Version : Free Jointer & Removing Paint Scrape From Concrete Floor

Lewis Cobb
01-01-2008, 11:13 AM
Greetings - A buddy of mine asked me if I can keep his DJ-20 jointer, a lunchbox planer and his floor model lathe at my shop for the next oh, 8 months or so :eek: - I told him he could as long as the knives were sharp when he brought them over and bring along the tools for the lathe as well :D

So last night we move the jointer in and in the process scrape some of the black paint on the base into my nice clean concrete garage floor. Does anyone know what I should look at to remove this (I already tried without any success in scrubbing the spots with a sponge and water). I have a sealer coat on that floor and I am thinking that anything I use that's acidic or chemical in nature is going to remove the sealer and end up leaving another type of spot in the process. The spots are not big but there's 3 or 4 of them where we were moving the jointer onto rollers that carried it most of the way into position. About 2" x 1" I guess.

Thanks !

Lewis

Ted Jay
01-01-2008, 11:24 AM
Just make more sawdust to cover up the marks.:D
You didn't expect to keep the floor in perfect shape did you?:eek:
In a couple of years when it starts to look worse just tile it.
... I haven't helped much have I? (just keep on stirring....:D my job is done!!)

Lewis Cobb
01-01-2008, 3:16 PM
Just make more sawdust to cover up the marks.:D
You didn't expect to keep the floor in perfect shape did you?:eek:
In a couple of years when it starts to look worse just tile it.
... I haven't helped much have I? (just keep on stirring....:D my job is done!!)

Ted - there always seems to be one of you characters in a crowd - haha. Thanks for the "reality pill" .....:)

John Bush
01-01-2008, 3:24 PM
Happy New Year Lewis,

Let me park my unrestored '67 'Stang near the paint spots and they will magically disappear in jsut a couple of days.

M Toupin
01-01-2008, 4:00 PM
Ted - there always seems to be one of you characters in a crowd - haha. Thanks for the "reality pill" .....:)

Lewis, Ted's got a point. We all work to make everything perfect and the first ding chaps our butts. Now if that's a 18th century reproduction, yes, you have good cause. But your talking a shop floor, it's going to take some abuse IF you use it. Now, if you really want to keep it pristine you could just lock the doors and admire it though the windows, but that really defeats the purpose does it not?:o

Reminds me of my boss who just got a new computer, he's all worried about getting a virus. He has installed all the latest firewalls and anti-virus but he's still worried. He asked me what else he could do to prevent getting a virus. My reply... unplug it... That's the most sure fire way to prevent a virus, the down side is the computer won't do what it's designed for, but it will be virus free.

Same goes for a shop, if you lock the doors and never use it it'll stay perfect, but it won't be much use for what it was designed for, doing WW. Sometimes we just need to take a deep breath and put everything into perspective. Ask yourself, will it matter tomorrow, next week next month? If your answer is no, then let it go. I really don't think anyone is going to come over for a visit and say "damn Lewis! what the heck did you do to that floor!!!":D

Mike

Tim Marks
01-01-2008, 5:13 PM
A prressure washer will take anything off your concrete, although the dang red dust (think: rust) they have in Hawaii takes hours with the zero degree nozzle.

I would recommend you move the machinery outside first, because otherwise your next post will be about how your buddy is gonna kill you cause you made the top of his jointer rust...

Or just live with the floor as it is. Kinda like purposely taking a swipe with a hammer at the "pefect" yuppie work bench I see people building, so they won't be afraid to use the thing instead of just stand back and admire it all the time.

Lee Koepke
01-01-2008, 5:22 PM
if its just paint transfer ... try Goof Off ... or mineral spirits. You may need to reapply the sealcoat, but that should blend.

(note: this advice does not come with a warranty :D )

Lewis Cobb
01-01-2008, 7:17 PM
Gents - I think I may have confused the issue here - the marks are in my garage - but the shop is another room that connects to my garage and is sealed off with a roll up door. In any case, I do agree that one should not be so anal rentitive about these things. I'm working on that, my only weakness :D

I will give the goof off a try though - I have some of that here in the house somewhere. The shop floor is poured concrete as well - but I never placed a sealer coat on it when we built it a few years back. The thought was (and still is) that I'm going to put in one of these epoxy painted floors when I catch a spring or summer that a) I have the time and b) I have the money.

By the way, speaking of hiding marks and dust - the smartest thing I ever did was paint the workshop a very light tan color - it hides all the sawdust stuck to the walls. I see some people here using white and while it might be a bit better on the brightness, I don't feel my shop is dim in the slightest.

Cheers,
Lewis