PDA

View Full Version : Real men of Genius

Bob Hallowell
01-01-2008, 11:01 AM
Today I salute myself -" Mister lathe turning platter maker, only you can spends hours glueing up wood, cutting and sanding said wood only to finish and turn the vacuum pump off without holding the platter letting the fragile edges get ding from the cold hard steel below-" I think I need a beer!

Happy new year. I was able to hand sand out most the dings I will post pics in a couple days when the finish is done.

Bob

Ken Fitzgerald
01-01-2008, 11:03 AM
Awwwwwwwwww! Don't have a vacumn set up.....but I've overlooked the obvious myself...You don't own the patent Bob. Glad you were able to sand out the dings. Looking forward to seeing it!

robert hainstock
01-01-2008, 11:06 AM
Sure am glad I never did nothin like that there. :eek::eek:
Bob

Steve Schlumpf
01-01-2008, 11:18 AM
You can add me to your club Bob! :D

How about parting the tenon off a beautiful maple burl NE - while using a jam chuck - without holding onto the bowl! Yup, lots of dings and a couple of cracks just in case the dings didn't get my attention! Made me start thinking about vacuum chucks - didn't know you had to hang onto those rascals also!!!

Jim Becker
01-01-2008, 11:35 AM
Been there....done that.... D'oh!!!

(Glad you were able to recover, however...the last time I did it...not!)

George Guadiane
01-01-2008, 12:13 PM
(shaking his head he asked:confused:) "Why would you tell that?" :cool:EVERYONE does something like that, I use jamb chucks and pallet wrap, and in the spirit of the already revealed, I have failed to hold a FEW:eek: pieces as I unwrap the final layers of wrap, usually getting results similar to yours.:o
Beer won't make you smarter, but it MIGHT ease the pain. Lesson learned?

Brian Brown
01-01-2008, 1:06 PM
So what's the problem. :confused: I thought a high speed exit from the lathe while bouncing off of all nearby hard and sharp objects was the proper proccedure for the final parting off step. :eek: It's how I have done all my turnings. Gives it that one of a kind hand made look! ;)

Brian

Andy Hoyt
01-01-2008, 2:13 PM
I'm with Brian. Quick departures saves time on inducing the aged (hence more value) look.

Robert McGowen
01-01-2008, 4:59 PM
Now I know why I read all of the threads. Thanks for the free lesson! :D

Bernie Weishapl
01-01-2008, 7:01 PM
Well Bob add me to the crowd. Been there, done that. Don't ya just hate it though when it happens.

Rich Souchek
01-01-2008, 8:40 PM
Beer won't make you smarter, but it MIGHT ease the pain. Lesson learned? :(
Beer doesn't ease the pain, just makes you not feel the pain till later. :rolleyes:

Jim Underwood
01-01-2008, 9:29 PM
Guys guys guys! You're missing an opportunity here! In the cabinet business, customers pay the big $$$ for us to make shiny new cabinets and then beat the %$#& out of them, and make them look "vintage".

When you have one of those fast dismounts, just get your chain flail, and finish the job! Smear a little glaze on it, and call it an antique!:D