PDA

View Full Version : Laser Levels

Stewart Crick
02-25-2004, 9:06 AM
I'm about to hang a pair of shelve units to a wall (too hard to explain, but click here for a picture of the shelves http://www.stuswoodworks.com/current_project.php?id=Step_1. I'm thinking I want to buy one of those new Laser Levels to help make sure I get the two units lined up correctly.

However I have no knowledge or experience with these things. Has anyone used a laser level? Any recommendations?

Stu

Richard Gillespie
02-25-2004, 9:19 AM
I have one. I've seldom used it. One thing you have to keep in consideration is that the lens is positioned about 3/8" above the base on mine. You have to therefore measure down from that laser line to be in the right height.

Sam Chambers
02-25-2004, 9:56 AM
Stu:

One of the woodworking magazines recently had a review of a bunch of the low-priced laser levels. I'll see if I can track it down later. If I recall correctly, they weren't overly enthused about any of them.

Lynn Kasdorf
02-25-2004, 11:30 AM
I have a 3 beam level that works really well. It puts out 3 beams that are at right angles. I bought it for when I was building a pole barn. It was very handy in lining up poles.

I think the really useful thing to have would be an autolevelling laser. The levelling part is the real hassle, and where error gets introduced. I like the idea of the device always projecting a level line. These are about $150 minimum, last time I looked, however.

For a simple laser level, the HF stores have one for $10 that is real pretty good. My brother bought one of these and loves it. I think at the low prices of basic laser levels, they are certainly a useful enough tool.

Bruce Page
02-25-2004, 12:55 PM
Stewart, I have the el cheapo Sears unit, I think it was about $40. It certainly isn’t the most accurate unit out there but it has served my needs well.

Lars Thomas
02-25-2004, 2:02 PM
Whichever model or style you purchase, check the margin of error. I purchased one to hang wall paper border at the middle of the wall. Over 15' (or so) it was noticablly out of level. I returned the laser level at did it the old fashion way with good results.

Keep in mind this is based on my experience with $60 level 3 years ago. I'm sure,or rather, I hope, they have gotten better since then. Lars

Stewart Crick
02-25-2004, 5:43 PM
Thanks for all the great input guys. Gives me something to think about...

Stu