PDA

View Full Version : Sharpening a Router Bit

Don L Johnson
01-01-2008, 10:38 AM
I have a CMT Bowl cutting bit that I cut only 3 bowls with and it seems somewhat dull. I must admit one of the bowls had some pretty hard hickory.

Does one just use a diamond file to file it sharper, hoping on the correct angle, or is there a better way. The bit is pricey, so I don't consider it a throw away. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks, as always!

Alan Schwabacher
01-01-2008, 10:56 AM
I have not sharpened router bits, but I have cleaned them. Sometimes it makes a big difference.

My understanding about sharpening is that you don't touch the bevel, but only hone the flat leading surface, and do that very carefully to keep the bit balanced. But the real recommendation is that you send it to a pro who will do it right. These things spin FAST, and making them uneven could be a real problem.

keith ouellette
01-01-2008, 11:01 AM
I was told the same thing Alan said. A fine diamond hone on the flat side and the same number of strokes on each side. Cleaning would probably help a lot. Though you can't see or feel it Resin sticks to the cutter.

You can hone the edge that is already there but if it needs sharpening you have to send it out.

Scott Whiting
01-01-2008, 11:26 AM
You may clean it and touch up the flat faces with a diamond hone. Make sure and keep the hone flat on the face. Use only nylon brushes for cleaning, no metallic.

glenn bradley
01-01-2008, 11:39 AM
I regularly hone my bits. A set of these (http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=2414&filter=sharpening) or similar are cheap and workable. You work the flat side, not the bevel. If anything more than a few strokes per face is required I would have them sharpened. You and I don't want to be removing that much material. A pro will do the job right, if required, and as you say; it is a pricey bit and deserves the attention. As others have stated, sometimes a good cleaning will really make a difference.

Phil Thien
01-01-2008, 11:51 AM
+1 What Glenn said, but I use these:

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=10443&filter=diamond%20sharpening

They are thin (but stiff) which I think helps with the smaller profiles a little.

John Thompson
01-01-2008, 11:52 AM
Agree with what has been said about honing and most definitely cleaning the bits. I run mainly CMT and Eagle America 1/2" shanks and can't over emphasize just how much just cleaning the resin decreases the chance of burn.

But... my question to those that have them sharpend is: Where do you have them sharpened as my local sharpener won't do router bits for whatever reason?

And does your sharpener accept shipped bits sent to them. Any prices would be helpful also!

Thanks...

Sarge..

David Epperson
01-01-2008, 12:11 PM
I regularly hone my bits. A set of these (http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=2414&filter=sharpening) or similar are cheap and workable.Interesting that they are $1 per set cheaper there than from the manufacturer of the EZE-Lap.

Steve Clardy
01-01-2008, 12:25 PM
Agree with what has been said about honing and most definitely cleaning the bits. I run mainly CMT and Eagle America 1/2" shanks and can't over emphasize just how much just cleaning the resin decreases the chance of burn.

But... my question to those that have them sharpend is: Where do you have them sharpened as my local sharpener won't do router bits for whatever reason?

And does your sharpener accept shipped bits sent to them. Any prices would be helpful also!

Thanks...

Sarge..

BallewTools.com do mine for around $4.00 each.
They are in Springfield, MO.

Free return shipping if sharpening costs exceed $75.00
They will sharpen about anything

glenn bradley
01-01-2008, 1:39 PM
Interesting that they are $1 per set cheaper there than from the manufacturer of the EZE-Lap.

Got mine on sale and with a coupon - $8 but even at full pop they're cheap enough to have around ;-)

Scott Whiting
01-01-2008, 3:41 PM

Thanks...

Sarge..

A sharpener that will do carbide tipped saw blades and not router bits is rare as it is in the realm of what any commercial cabinet/furniture maker would need to have sharpened. Even if he had a deal where he sent them to another shop you would think he at least had a plan to cover his customers. Many will not deal with HSS router bits as they cost about as much to sharpen as to buy. I would look for another sharpener for all of my stuff. Ask around the cabinet shops in your area and see where they get theirs done.