PDA

View Full Version : First Shipment of Pens Away!!!

Keith Outten
02-25-2004, 7:59 AM
Yesterday I delivered our first two boxes of pens (364) to Fort Eustis Army Base in Newport News Virginia and I was invited to attend a ceremony at Fort Eustis for some of our troops who were leaving for the Middle East. It was an honor to be invited and to participate with these Patriots and their families. To my surprise when I arrived I was asked to speak at the ceremony to introduce the Freedom Pen Program.

I personally gave each of the soldiers a Freedom Pen, thanked them for their service to our country and wished them all God Speed to their assignment and safe return home.

This group of soldiers had until ten o'clock last night to spend time with their families, then report to their barracks and an early flight out this morning. After the ceremony some of them found a computer and sent email to a few of you who donated pens. I'm sure that many more of you will be receiving a thank you for supporting these brave Americans.

When I was leaving the building I was approached many times and the sentiments were heart warming, if you could have seen their eyes and the expression on their faces it would make all the time and effort you have spent worthwhile.

Once Again! Thanks to all of you who have donated your precious time and talent to make these special gifts for our Patriots and God Speed to all of our Servicemen and Women who defend this country.

Keith Starosta
02-25-2004, 8:34 AM
When I was leaving the building I was approached many times and the sentiments were heart warming, if you could have seen their eyes and the expression on their faces it would make all the time and effort you have spent worthwhile.

...and that's what it's all about. Awesome job, Keith! I'm sure it was an experience you'll never forget.

Were there any pics taken at the event? I'm sure we'd all love to see them.

Keith

Jerry Stringer
02-25-2004, 11:53 AM
Fantastic job!!!!! :D :D

Pictures!! We need PICTURES!!

Thanks!

Jerry

Carl Eyman
02-25-2004, 1:17 PM
We're lucky to have you at the helm, Keith, and you're lucky to have such a fine crew.

Bobby McCarley
02-25-2004, 4:35 PM
It doesn't get any better than this!!! Way to go Keith. Outstanding job.

Bobby McCarley

Tom Sweeney
02-25-2004, 9:31 PM
Thanks for the report Keith - like Keith S said - that's what it's all about. Knowing that we made one soldier feel appreciated and that they are going over with the knowledge that we are grateful is why I'm in this project.

Thank You

Waymon Campbell
02-25-2004, 10:11 PM
Keith - Thanks for representing all of us involved in the project. To have been in the same room with those men and women must have been a special moment.

Keith Outten
02-25-2004, 11:24 PM
We have a Great Crew on this project. I should note that a lot of volunteers working for the Freedom Pen Project are not members of SawMill Creek but our community has taken the lead and is the driving force behind making the project work. Our members appreciate the efforts of everyone involved and especially the greater woodworking community who have demonstrated once again that they are indeed friendly and willing to lend a hand when any woodworker needs assitance.

This project shows that we are willing to reach out to others and have a genuine concern for our fellow Americans. It is so easy to say "I support our Troops", the Freedom Pen Program goes way beyond a verbal statement as we are providing tangible evidence that we truly care. Time is the greatest gift! Those who donate materials and those who create pens are all donating their precious time to make sure that our troops know we are concerned for their safety and have the support of the American people.

I cannot think of any other project that my workshop, tools and equipment could be used for a more noble cause nor one that has ever been so rewarding.

PS,

I was caught by surprise yesterday when I was invited to attend the ceremony at Fort Eustis. I did not have a camera with me so I'm sad to report that I do not have any pictures to share.