PDA

View Full Version : Anyone try the SawStop mobile Base yet??

Ted Baca
01-01-2008, 1:37 AM
I see that SawStop has finally released it's hydraulic mobile base at 300.00. I have been waiting for this since I bought my saw a year ago.
The local dealer say's he will be ordering some in but I am curious if anyone has bought one. And if you have installed it, what's your first impression?

Don Bullock
01-01-2008, 10:52 AM
I didn't know about them until I read your post. It looks like a very innovative design and beter than the HTC mobile base that I have. Once I get moved (within the next couple of years) I'm hoping that my table saw doesn't have to remain mobile. If it does I'll consider exchanging my HTC for the new SawStop mobile base. Eagle Tools, were I bought it said I could trade in the base later if I ever wanted to.

Thomas Williams
01-01-2008, 11:18 AM
Do the wheels lock up if it is about to run over your toe?:D

Ted Baca
01-01-2008, 3:05 PM
No Thomas, I beleive they explode so that they can sell you four more!:D

Brian Penning
02-03-2008, 7:55 AM
At the end of this little video review you can see the SS mobile base in action.

http://lumberjocks.com/reviews/91

Dave Falkenstein
02-03-2008, 9:45 AM
Do the wheels lock up if it is about to run over your toe?:D

No Thomas, I beleive they explode so that they can sell you four more!:D

The good news is, you won't get toelio. :)

jason lambert
02-03-2008, 12:02 PM
I played at one at Force Machinery in NJ yesterday, they have it set up on the floor on a saw stop, worth every pennie. They are awesome and so easy to use. I recomend going somewhere and trying it. They are hydrolic so you pump them up and when you release them it lays the saw down slowly. A 6 year old can use it and rolls great. Best base I have ever sceen just wish I could get one for my 18" band saw and other tools. Bad news is when I buy my sawstop I have to spend another $300 now :(

Roger Bull
02-03-2008, 2:47 PM
I have one and love it. It is by far the best base available (that I have seen). It is not cheap but it works very well and I would choose it again in a heartbeat.

The hydraulics raise the cabinet with a few pumps of the pedal. There is nothing needed to support the 52" rails, they raise with the table, so it does not interfere with storage underneath. It is also very easy to move around.

When the hydraulics are released it sits flat on the floor - not on the wheels.

-Roger

Anthony Anderson
02-10-2008, 4:45 PM
I picked up the SawStop mobile base this weekend and my son and I got the old base removed and the new base in place, with some ingenuity. The base is rock solid. It has a small hydraulic jack/pump with a foot pedal that raises and lowers the saw by pumping the foot pedal. It really beats my old base hands down. My shop is on the small side, and this base allows me to move the saw around in any direction with ease. Moving it out to make odd cuts and then move it back. I can literally raise, repostion, and lower the saw in under a minute, and I am not rushing in doing so. It is well worth the money. Hope this helps someone. Bill

Ted Baca
02-27-2008, 12:12 AM
Well I bought one and a freind came over Sunday with his Cherry Picker and we installed it. All I can say is was worth the 300 and the 14 month wait. I am so glad I didn't cave and but the ShopFox.
As mentioned it worth every penny. SawStop just does everything first class. I have to add I was in ToolKing the other day and they had a SS on display with the top off and it was close in proximity to a Steel City saw with it's top off. Unbeleivable the difference in construction. That assembly is reinforced in ways I never would have expected to see in a saw. It also explained the 600 plus pounds.

Thanks for all the input and help.

Mike Heidrick
02-27-2008, 12:28 AM
I have added a shelf and tool cabinet on top of the HTC base so unfortunately I have kind of locked myself into the HTC. The new sawstop looks very nice though.

Kent Cartwright
02-27-2008, 8:50 AM
Have the Sawstop base, and I love it!! This thing is slick to use, and rock solid. I wish the base for my bandsaw was this solid. I would buy it again in a heartbeat.

Kent

Roger Bell
02-27-2008, 9:33 PM
I have had mine for couple months. I did without and waited for quite some time for this to come out. I was shocked at the price, but otherwise impressed in the showroom. At this point, I am glad I waited and that I didn't settle for something less. It is very solid when not in use and easy to jack and move the saw when needed.