PDA

View Full Version : Central Illinois Plywood sources

dan sherman
01-01-2008, 1:12 AM
Can anyone recommend a good plywood (Baltic birch, appleply, etc.) supplier in the central IL? I live in Champaign, and the nearest supplier I know of is in Chicago. I can get C grade ½” & ¾” BB at Menards, but I would like to get a better grade as long as I don’t have to drive 3 hours and pay through the nose to get it.

Kevin Cantillon
01-01-2008, 2:50 AM
I am not sure on what plywood they carry but have you checked at Woodworkers Shop in Pekin. I have only gone there one time and that was for hardwood. I didn't really look at the plywood at the time.

http://www.woodworkersshop.com/
800-475-9663

Kevin

Joe Mioux
01-01-2008, 6:20 AM
Wow, i would have thought that a woodworker supply store would be easy to find in C-U.

Try looking for a custom cabinet shop in the yellow pages. They could probably sell you any plywood you could ever want. Also, your local independent lumber yard might be able to help you find some better quality plywood.

Did you check Bloomington or Decatur?

Terry Quiram
01-01-2008, 7:49 AM
Don

I buy from Illini Hardwood in East Peoria. They have quality plywood for sale. 3443 N. Main East Peoria 61611, 309-699-9663.

Terry

dan sherman
01-01-2008, 12:55 PM
C – U is pretty much a waste land when it comes to quality stores (we are a throwaway society now I guess). I have been to all the local lumber yards, and they either won’t take specialty orders period, or require you to place a massive order.

I talked with a few of the local cabinet makers over the summer, and most of them drove 2 – 3 hours to pick up wood.

Tom Quatsoe
01-01-2008, 1:29 PM
The Hardwood Connection in Sycamore IL is a good source. It is not right around the block, but it is closer then Chicago.

Joe Mioux
01-01-2008, 1:59 PM
Well, Dan, there is also Kunz Carpentry down near me. I can buy all kinds of wood here, however, not necessarily exotis. www.Kunzcarpentry.com (http://www.Kunzcarpentry.com) is there web address.

I am really surprised there isn't anything there.

joe

Michael Lutz
01-01-2008, 9:10 PM
I have checked in the past for BB plywood availability. Illini Hardwood in East Peoria and Woodworkers Shop in Pekin carry it. I have not bought any, so I can't vouch for the quality.

Mike

Mike Heidrick
01-01-2008, 10:01 PM
Welcome to the Creek Dan. Looks like we are 40 mile neighbors as I am here in Bloomington.

The Millworks (phone 309-829-0099) is just off I-74 at the US51 exit (first Bloomington Exit) - north from the exit just past the the John Deere Dealer. They will do free shipping from The WoodWorker Shop in Pekin and they get stuff at least every Wednesday from there. This will save you a few miles. Call and order what you need.

The WW shop in Pekin is a great place to visit though and they have a ton of stuff in stock and is basiclly a full on Rockler store. Also they have about every single PM tool setup to check out hands on except PM's really huge industrial tools.

BB at Woodcraft in Peoria is always an expensive option (like BB from the WW shop) as well.

John Schreiber
01-01-2008, 10:58 PM
Hey Dan, On behalf of our Champaign contingent, welcome to the Creek. I've got no suggestions for good plywood locally, but I am planning a big project for this summer and I figured on driving to Chicago to get the wood.

dan sherman
01-02-2008, 1:43 AM
Thanks for the welcome John,

What shop do you go to in Chicago?

I have a few projects planed for the summer as well and i will be getting my lumber from White Lumber in Valparaiso IN. attached is the latest price list my dad e-mailed me a few days ago. I have to do all the finishing myself, but hey i have more time than money. :D

Bruce Shiverdecker
01-02-2008, 2:19 AM
Woodcraft in Peoria has Baltic Plywood. To check current supply on hand you can call. Don't have Pekin Hardwood's number handy, But if you want it or Woodcraft's, PM my and I'll get them for you.
Bruce

Dave Novak
01-02-2008, 10:48 AM
I live in Springfield, and it's literally impossible to buy hardwoods or quality ply anywhere close. St. Louis has some sources, but their selction and price doesn't compare to Owl Hardwood Lumber in the Chicagoland area. I generally shop their Des Plaines store, I think it's headquarters and has the largest inventory of wood. Great place. I really appreciate the fact that they have a huge inventory because it makes matching grains patterns, etc. possible. If anyone's been to Owl and knows of a place that has that much wood in stock and is any closer to central Illinois, please let me know.

Jim Hill
01-02-2008, 11:06 AM
I also live in Springfield and I usually order from Pawnee Lumber. I have gotten A-1 oak ply and BB, in different thicknesses, from them. I've been pleased with the quality. Prices seem reasonable and they deliver to Springfield for free. I've also inquired about cherry ply. They don't carry it, but can special order.....again the prices quoted seem reasonable. I like to support the local businesses when I can.

Jim

Matt Crew
01-02-2008, 2:01 PM
Don

I buy from Illini Hardwood in East Peoria. They have quality plywood for sale. 3443 N. Main East Peoria 61611, 309-699-9663.

Terry

Terry, are they associated with the Illini lumber in Henry?
If so do you know if they sell from the lumber yard or does it have to be purchased in E.P.?
Sorry not trying to steal the thread, but the lumber yard is much closer to me.
Thank you, Matt

Dave Novak
01-02-2008, 2:29 PM
I also live in Springfield and I usually order from Pawnee Lumber. I have gotten A-1 oak ply and BB, in different thicknesses, from them. I've been pleased with the quality. Prices seem reasonable and they deliver to Springfield for free. I've also inquired about cherry ply. They don't carry it, but can special order.....again the prices quoted seem reasonable. I like to support the local businesses when I can.

Jim

Makes me feel pretty silly driving all over the St. louis area a few weeks ago trying to fnd BB.

Kevin Cantillon
01-02-2008, 3:03 PM
Mike,

Does the Millworks in Bloomington carry any stock - hardwood or plywood or tools? Just curious as they are listed as a Rockler partner store on Rocklers web site.

I live just north of C-U and would like to find a close source of hardwood and ply.

Kevin

dan sherman
01-02-2008, 4:06 PM
Mike,

Does the Millworks in Bloomington carry any stock - hardwood or plywood or tools? Just curious as they are listed as a Rockler partner store on Rocklers web site.

I live just north of C-U and would like to find a close source of hardwood and ply.

Kevin

I stoped by a month or two back, as it looked more like a hardwood flooring store.