PDA

View Full Version : My first Hollow Form Attempt

Tim Malyszko
12-31-2007, 8:07 PM
This afternoon, I was trying to finish up an osage orange bowl with not a whole lot of success (that has to be the most difficult work I've ever turned:mad:). After getting frustrated with it, I put it aside and decided to give my new Christmas Present from my Wife a try - the Sorby Hollowmaster.

I had a blank of Maple laying around that I didn't mind experimenting with and here is what I came up with. Overall, I was extremely pleased with the results. It took me a while to get the hang of the hollowmaster, but once I got it figured out, it was pretty easy to use.

The Hollowform is approximately 8" in diameter and only 2" deep. I sanded it down to 12000 grit and finished it with a Shellawax Liquid Friction Polish. This was also the first piece I've ever sanded all the way down to 12000 grit and was amazed with the results. There was a nice, glossy, smooth finish already there without the friction finish.

It was quite a fun learning experience and I'm looking forward to my next hollow form. I've had this image of a vase in my head for some time, so that may be my next attempt.

Happy New Year.

Steve Schlumpf
12-31-2007, 8:39 PM
Nice work Tim but I have to warn you that hollow forms can become addicting! Beautiful wood - great finish! Looking forward to seeing your next one!

Gary Herrmann
12-31-2007, 9:35 PM
Nice job, Tim. I need to start getting into hollow forms more.

Richard Madison
12-31-2007, 10:47 PM
Tim,
Pretty nice job on the maple! Would you care to share with us the problem with the Osage Orange piece? It has probably happened to others here, and somebody here probably knows how to help. Inquiring minds want to know.

Bernie Weishapl
12-31-2007, 11:14 PM
That is a real beauty Tim. Great wood. Weill done.

Mike A. Smith
01-01-2008, 12:50 AM
That's a good first Tim, keep'em coming!

Ben Gastfriend
01-01-2008, 9:23 AM
I like it! It's an interesting form, something you might find in a contemporary living room, with the square corners. Good job!

Tim Malyszko
01-01-2008, 9:43 AM
Thanks for all the kind comments.

Nice work Tim but I have to warn you that hollow forms can become addicting!

Yea, I see it becoming an addiction. It will definately give me the opportunity to finally do something with all my shorts from my flatwork. I have a big pile of maple, cherry, walnut, and other miscellaneous shorts that would make great stock for segmented turning.

I like it! It's an interesting form, something you might find in a contemporary living room, with the square corners. Good job!

Last night, one of my friends asked me "what is it?" and I really could not answer that question other than saying "a piece of art." I will probably bring it down to the office display it somewhere there. Our customers get a kick out of the turnings.

Nice job, Tim. I need to start getting into hollow forms more

I hear you. Last time I was at Lumber Logs, I saw a couple of turning blanks that would make great vases, but didn't purchase them since I didn't have any way of hollowing them. Next time Tom is on the lot, I plan on picking some of them up.

Jim Becker
01-01-2008, 11:37 AM
Um, Tim...your first hollow form and you pick the absolutely hardest "form" to do it! LOL Very nice work...bravo! What I mean about "hardest form" is the fact that it's extremely difficult to work with flater top objects like this, especially the abrupt transition to the sides.

BTW, that's some gorgeous wood, too!