PDA

View Full Version : JET Oscillating Spindle Sander - An oddball question!

Jeffrey Makiel
12-31-2007, 6:29 PM
I'm planning to make a cart with a rotating top to store two tools: a JET Oscillating spindle sander and perhaps a benchtop mortiser. However, does anybody know if the JET spindle sander can be stored upside down without leaking oil?

Here is a pic of my plans, which may be fatally flawed...

-Jeff :)

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y84/Beff2/OSSCart.jpg

Ron Jones near Indy
12-31-2007, 10:33 PM
I don't know. But I don't want to turn mine upside down to find out. Interesting question. I'll look here for a better answer than I had.

Dick Bringhurst
12-31-2007, 10:51 PM
I don't know how that unit is made, but the floor model uses hydraulic fluid to actuate the spindle. If you turn it upside down you may cause problems. Also aren't the spindles stored in racks on the side of the base? If so you'll have to store them separately. Dick B.

Lewis Cobb
01-01-2008, 11:04 AM
Jeff - you might have saved me a lot of headaches in the future - I don't have one of these sanders but was going to build a flip top table thinking one side would have it on it. I never thought of the oil.

What do you use to model your projects? That looks like something a little higher end than Sketchup.

Cheers,
Lewis

Dick Bringhurst
01-01-2008, 4:00 PM
Guess it wold help if I read your post a little more carefully. I had the floor model and it had to be transported upright. They warned you not to lay it on its side if it had fluid in it. Dick B.

Jeffrey Makiel
01-01-2008, 6:44 PM
Ron & Dick...Don't lay that baby on it's side or upside down for my sake! :)

Lewis...I used AutoCAD, plus some Photoshop for the tilting motion picture. AutoCAD is brutally expensive and has a major learning curve.

I think my flip top table idea is a bust as far as the JET oscillating spindle sander is concerned. Foooeey. It's been a long time since I bought a new woodworking machine. Probably over 15 years. Oh well. :(

-Jeff :)