PDA

View Full Version : Help!!!!!!

Al Willits
12-31-2007, 6:07 PM
Building the base for the wife's TV stand and its 4 1/8" high by 3/4" thick, its a six sided frame with each side having either a 45 or 67.5 angle on it and I'd like to maybe bisquit these joints to help in assembly.

Is there a angle for each of these joints (45 or 22.5 degrees) that I can set the cutter to??

I think I could finally figure it out, but would like to keep the scrap down to a mimimun..:)
And get it done sometime before next spring....

tia

Al...any of this make sense????:D

Paul Girouard
12-31-2007, 8:09 PM
Depends on what brand tool you have.

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b299/PEG688/sept17009.jpg

So ya it sort a made sense, I think:confused:

Al Willits
12-31-2007, 8:17 PM
PC 557 cutter.

I figure there's some sort of formula to figure this out...maybe..:)

Al

Phillip downs
12-31-2007, 8:38 PM
360 degrees
divided by six sides = 60 degrees
divided by 2 pieces per joint = 30 degrees

Paul Girouard
12-31-2007, 8:39 PM
Cut you angles then just set and adjust your plate jointer to it. With my PC you set up and plunge in off what would be the backside if the miter.

You need to watch the depth of cut more than anything so you don't plunge thru the stock and into your work bench / fingers. So it takes some "futzing " to get all set to plunge.

The PC may have some wrap over feature I think the one Norm NYW, not Norm Becker ;), does so wrap over type cut.

Good luck !

What , you wanted the angle figured for you :confused: Maybe you weren't very clear:eek: :D

Al Willits
12-31-2007, 11:35 PM
OK, let me try again, how do I biscuit join 2 3/4" thick pieces that meet at a 45 degree angle?

I emaginge the cutter is flat up against the angle, but is it cut at a 90 degree angle to the beveled (?) edge?
And I'm assuming its far enough away from the edge to not cut though..?

I'll go play with it tomm, but I'd like to have a start on it before.

Al...if this doesn't make sense, blame capt morgan...:)

keith ouellette
01-01-2008, 12:06 AM
I think I understand your question. With 3/4" material you may cut through if you use to large a biscuit. You would have to use #0 (I think. Practice on scrap first). If I were you I would use a spline. Cut a grove in each mating edge (just saw blade width) and then cut a thin strip the same thickness as the saw blade and the height of the two cuts combined minus a small fraction (like a 1/32 or a tiny bit less) It will be easier since cutting biscuit slots on the edge with an angle is hard to do. stronger joint also. Better aligned.

Dale Johnson
01-01-2008, 12:27 AM
use a protractor head on your square and set the fence for 22 1/2 degrees for the one and 33 3/4 degrees for the other and proof the setups on scrap? if idea stinks, blame the vicodine and johnny walker. happy new year.

Al Willits
01-01-2008, 12:00 PM
Splines a thought too, I'll go play with some scaps and see what works best for me, thanks.
Thanks all.

Al

Danny Thompson
01-01-2008, 4:33 PM
No doubt, the biscuits should go in ninety degrees to mitered faces, but not centered on the mitered faces. Ideally, closer to the inside so as to avoid blowing through the outside faces. 0's if necessary.

Cliff Rohrabacher
01-01-2008, 8:05 PM
I'd use a spline not biscuits

Bart Leetch
01-01-2008, 8:10 PM
I'd use a spline not biscuits

Me too.:eek::):D

David Epperson
01-01-2008, 9:15 PM
Building the base for the wife's TV stand its a six sided frame with each side having either a 45 or 67.5 angle on it
This doesn't add up. A complete perimeter should add up to 360°, 4x90° square=360°, 6x60° hex=360°. I would think that you would have 4 angles at 45° and 2 at 90° which would total the 360° perimeter.

Doug Shepard
01-01-2008, 9:24 PM
If this is just a base and there's nothing inside the frame, how about just making angled glue blocks and screw/glue them together from the inside? You wouldn't have the concerns about blowing through the miters with a biscuit.

Al Willits
01-01-2008, 9:38 PM
Your right Dave, 4 at 45 and 2 at 90, I was thinking the cut angle for each piece which would be half of those angles...I think..:)

I ended up going with the slots, I could make them even smaller than the little bisquits (F I think) and that allowed a bit more lee way.

Clamping a 6 sided frame was interesting, but finally ended up with a strap type clamp and a couple of 90 degree pieces to help keep it square.

Thanks all

Al

David Epperson
01-01-2008, 10:08 PM
Your right Dave, 4 at 45 and 2 at 90, I was thinking the cut angle for each piece which would be half of those angles...I think..:)

I ended up going with the slots, I could make them even smaller than the little bisquits (F I think) and that allowed a bit more lee way.

Clamping a 6 sided frame was interesting, but finally ended up with a strap type clamp and a couple of 90 degree pieces to help keep it square.

Thanks all

Al
If it all fit up and clamped up then you were right. :D

Greg Cole
01-02-2008, 9:17 AM
Al,
If it didn't all work out, you can blame the one legged woodworking stance....ala a "little Cap'n in ya"..... :D

Greg - who's had his fair share of "one legged" evenings.:rolleyes:

Al Willits
01-02-2008, 10:15 AM
Al,
If it didn't all work out, you can blame the one legged woodworking stance....ala a "little Cap'n in ya"..... :D

Greg - who's had his fair share of "one legged" evenings.:rolleyes:

Well...I'll find out tonight when I get home, I sure hope so as its the first "real" piece of furniture for me, so far looking pretty good, least the wife thinks so.

Al...who ain't telling how many times he measured before cutting :)