PDA

View Full Version : Yale's Handbook for Foreign Students

Dan Mages
12-31-2007, 5:23 PM
Remember me?

Wifey and I are now living in New Haven, CT due to a job change at her end. I was looking around for restaurants in the area and found this rather interesting look at American culture from the Office of International Students & Scholar's at Yale University.

http://www.yale.edu/oiss/handbook.htm

Of particular interest is the section on "U.S. CULTURE & CULTURE SHOCK" http://www.yale.edu/oiss/handbook/us_culture&culture_shock_pgs103_120.pdf

On individualism:
One of the most pervasive values in U.S. American culture
is individualism, and understanding its effects can
help illuminate many aspects of the culture. The lone
cowboy on the endless prairie, riding strong and silent
with his horse as his only companion, epitomizes the
American ideal of self-fulfillment and self-reliance. In
American culture, in order to succeed and find out what
you are meant to do in life, one must be strong and
independent.

What do you think of this guide and what it says about Americans?

Dan

Doug Shepard
12-31-2007, 5:44 PM
Sounds like it was lifted out of something about 100 years ago. I think that guide will make good fire-starter as my horse and I warm ourselves out on the endless prarie.:D

Bill Lantry
12-31-2007, 5:56 PM
Actually, if you read the whole thing, you'll find it an intereting document, especially the six stages of culture shock. Imagine if you had to write a document to help foreigners acclimate to this country.... what would *you* write? ;) And if you were writing something to help 18 year old americans acclimate themselves to, say, France, what would you say? ;)

Thanks,

Bill

John Schreiber
12-31-2007, 6:02 PM
That's very interesting and would be fun to read at leisure.

From an American's point of view, it says more about the rest of the world than what I lean about us. We don't see these things because they are all around us, but pointing out that "It's a Free Country" is an American saying that others wouldn't understand is revealing.

Jude Kingery
12-31-2007, 6:49 PM
Dan, I find it interesting and probably somewhat insightful to foreign students. Having traveled quite a bit outside the US, and having lived in the mid western states, nope, that is not a 100 year old philosophical stance; it's alive and well in Colorado, Nebraska, Wyoming and Texas for sure. Self reliance, independence, personal accountability, and help your neighbor or don't mess in their business, each to his own, I'd say that's fairly accurate. Nice discussion. Jude

Mike Cutler
12-31-2007, 7:51 PM
Yeah, but the same page had the Ph# for Pepe's, and that's all you really need to know to experience America.:D,;).

Dan
Where abouts are you in New Haven? My wife was raised in New Haven. There's a lot of us here on the board from CT, RI and Mass, and of course New York. Don't be shy about asking questions.
I'm originally from So. Cal,and It took me a little while to get the feel and hang of Ct. Now, I love living in Ct/ New England. Been here almost 30 years.

Cliff Rohrabacher
01-01-2008, 11:31 AM
What do you think of this guide and what it says about Americans?

It says that Americans are such wonderful people that we tolerate even those who ridicule question and challenge us.

Ken Fitzgerald
01-01-2008, 12:00 PM
It's still alive.......here in the west but in the small farming communities around the country.....and as much as these folks in the smaller communities relish their independence.......they won't hesitate to help a friend, neighbor or stranger in need.....It's still alive.

Michael Gibbons
01-01-2008, 6:37 PM
If I had to write something for incoming foreigners, I would say " Learn to speak and write English fluently, work hard, raise your family to be useful citizens and defend this country against all enemies here and abroad"

Greg Peterson
01-01-2008, 7:08 PM
"One of the most pervasive values in U.S. American culture
is individualism, and understanding its effects can
help illuminate many aspects of the culture."

This says something about us and the rest of the world. We value individualism (The lone cowboy on the endless prairie, riding strong and silent with his horse as his only companion, epitomizes the American ideal of self-fulfillment and self-reliance) while many in the world value interdependency. Nothing wrong with either approach IMO.

How many countries have multiple generations living under one roof? Not just third world nations, but developed European and Asian countries? Purely anecdotal, but the elderly seem to be more respected in Europe and Asia than here in the US.
"In American culture, in order to succeed and find out what
you are meant to do in life, one must be strong and
independent."

I'd say this is pretty much true for most Americans. Some want everything handed to them, but for the rest of us in the middle group, we generally except that we are masters of our destiny.