View Full Version : Another (Less Expensive) Gloat!

Ben Gastfriend
12-31-2007, 4:59 PM
2 Gloats in one weak! This one's a bit more less expensive than the chuck.

MY NEW HOLLOWING TOOL.

After seeing the quite high prices of hollowing/captive tools, I decided to make my own $10 version. I know what you may say, you should have went with a captive tool with the auxiliary toolrest, it'll give you better support. But I think that this one will work well for my small work, with my small lathe, and I can adapt it if (aka. when) I get my larger lathe.

Materials-
Pine wooden handle from old shelf- $0
Titebond glue for handle lamination $.50
3/8" Steel Rod, 14" long----------- $3
Metal drill bit and plug tap--------- $6
Broken tip off a pair of scissors---- $0

TOTAL -------------------------$9.50

78291 78292

And it works! Once I charge my camera, I'll take pictures of the thing I made... I'll leave ya hangin at that.

HAPPY NEW YEAR! http://www.partypro.com/mm_PARTYPRO_/Images/10582I.JPG

Gordon Seto
12-31-2007, 5:13 PM
Ben,

Nice tool. You next one will be $3.50, if you don't have to buy another pair of scissors to break off the tip. I think 3/8" rod may not allow you to reach deep for large works; probably you are going to end with a whole set of different lengths and shaft sizes.

Gordon

Bernie Weishapl
12-31-2007, 5:26 PM
Ben those are great looking tools at a great price. I would build more tools but if I do that with the limited time I have I wouldn't be turning.

Steve Schlumpf
12-31-2007, 5:41 PM
Glad to see you are thinking of different ways to get the same job done! Nothing better than making something yourself and having it work! Looking forward to seeing some of your new - up and coming - hollow forms!