PDA

View Full Version : Woodworking videos -- TV vs. web?

Jason White
12-31-2007, 3:47 PM
Despite the lack of woodworking shows currently on television (PBS, DIY network, etc.), I'm curious to know whether you folks would rather see more shows/videos about woodworking on the web or on television.

My personal belief is that these two mediums will converge someday soon (this is already happening to some extent), so in a year or two this might be a moot point. We're not there yet, however.

So, what do you think? Do you enjoy watching woodworking videos online? Or, do you prefer to watch on your boob-tube? Or do you even care?

Jason

Don Bullock
12-31-2007, 3:53 PM
Jason, I want both TV and web videos because I can use all the help I can get.;):D

Robert foster
12-31-2007, 5:43 PM
I watch all I can also and am finding new (Unseen by me) all the time. Some of the podcasts are excellent. I especially like the Woodwhisperer, the Woodsmith podcasts and Stu's Shed.

Tom Kelley
12-31-2007, 6:36 PM
I like the idea of web-based videos but the ones I've seen are too small. I have a 19 inch monitor but end up seeing a small picture of questionable quality. However I have enjoyed Normy's "New Yankee Workshop" shows.

Robert foster
12-31-2007, 6:55 PM
Tom I have no problem watching most of the web based videos full or near fullscreen. Some , like the Wood Whisperer is better quality than standard TV.
Hope you can get them full screen.

Bob

Dave Lehnert
12-31-2007, 8:40 PM
I like the ShopSmith on-line videos the best.

http://www.shopsmithacademy.com/Sawdust_Sessions.htm

Pat Germain
12-31-2007, 9:07 PM
I'm also a big fan of Marc and Nicole Spagnuolo, AKA The Wood Whisperer. Although I really enjoy such podcasts and learn a lot from them, I'm not sure they're going to stick around.

It takes a lot of time and effort, as well as money, to produce such podcasts. Like with SMC, the user support has been lackluster. There has been some sponsor interest. If that increases, it will keep things going, but I wonder how much influence it will have on content. For example, if a podcaster is pushing a certain tool brand, and happens to be sponsored by that brand, I'd wonder whether the endorsement was legit.

This reminds me, I really need to get off my bum and make a contribution to The Wood Whisperer...

Fred Floyd
01-01-2008, 1:16 AM
I still watch Norm. I have managed to get all of his shows recorded over the years. I have learned a great deal from that show over the past 15 or so years. David Marks' WoodWorks brings a much different dimension television. David is a very talented artist who is very detail oriented. His 91 shows are a limited edition and no new episodes are planned.

Tim Yoder's woodturning show is very well done. Tim was in the TV production business before he was a woodturner. That show is top quality.

I have looked at quite a few of the woodturning videos that are available -- some good and some not so good. Of the dozen or so that I have, only 4 actually get an repeat looks.

I would enjoy seeing web based shows, but only if the video quality is there.

Charlie Velasquez
01-01-2008, 10:20 AM
I like the web-based. Specifically, I have found a lot of youtube shorts helpful. It seems that everybody and their brothers have digital cameras and it seems woodworkers are almost always willing to share knowledge- reminds me of my early Macintosh learning days.

The quantity of videos on a topic, any topic, is exploding. I can find a video on almost any topic: want a video on adjusting your planer-found one; how to make a box-joint jig-found one of those. The quality may not be there in all of them, but I think the quality of the newer TV programs is also falling lately.

Now, some of these people use techniques that would make me change pants if I tried them, but I am familiar enough with my tools that I can say to myself, "that is too dangerous," or, "That's just crazy." Maybe a brand new newbee might pick up some unintended poor habits, though. But, on the other hand I don't have enough fingers (and I have all ten) to count all the safety issues I have with the newer-and even some of the older-shows on TV.

Jason White
01-02-2008, 5:06 PM
Thanks for the responses. It will be very interesting to see what transpires.

By the way -- I noticed that August Home's new show "The Woodsmith Shop" is now airing nationally in several markets. I've got my DVR ready to record them. Looking forward to watching, as there hasn't been a new TV show about woodworking for quite a few years.

Another question: Do you find the lack of "production value" in some web-videos to be a distraction at all? By this, I'm referring primarily to things like shaky camera shots, poor audio, sub-par lighting, etc. Some are better than others, of course.

JW

I like the web-based. Specifically, I have found a lot of youtube shorts helpful. It seems that everybody and their brothers have digital cameras and it seems woodworkers are almost always willing to share knowledge- reminds me of my early Macintosh learning days.

The quantity of videos on a topic, any topic, is exploding. I can find a video on almost any topic: want a video on adjusting your planer-found one; how to make a box-joint jig-found one of those. The quality may not be there in all of them, but I think the quality of the newer TV programs is also falling lately.

Now, some of these people use techniques that would make me change pants if I tried them, but I am familiar enough with my tools that I can say to myself, "that is too dangerous," or, "That's just crazy." Maybe a brand new newbee might pick up some unintended poor habits, though. But, on the other hand I don't have enough fingers (and I have all ten) to count all the safety issues I have with the newer-and even some of the older-shows on TV.

Fred Voorhees
01-02-2008, 5:55 PM
Personal preference for me would be to have them on TV. Reason being that I have begun over the past few months to tape them and store them on DVD for future reference and the simple enjoyment of rewatching them.

Scott duprat
01-02-2008, 8:56 PM
I have not seen anyone mention thewoodworkingchannel.com

Lots of good stuff...Maloof interviews, Scott Phillips convention interviews, router guys, silas kopf, plus various other odds and ends.

This is what I am watching when I feel the need to watch something wood related.

Scott

Jason White
01-03-2008, 7:58 PM
I got the feeling that they were getting ready to retire that site. The home page never gets updated and I haven't been able to view the program schedule for months.

JW

I have not seen anyone mention thewoodworkingchannel.com

Lots of good stuff...Maloof interviews, Scott Phillips convention interviews, router guys, silas kopf, plus various other odds and ends.

This is what I am watching when I feel the need to watch something wood related.

Scott

Tom Quatsoe
01-03-2008, 8:38 PM
I haven't looked at any of these podcast until reading this post. There are some really great episodes available. I've now watched several of the woodwhisperer and he does a fantastic job. I also noticed you can support him by getting to amazon via the wood whisperer website...I wish I would have known before x-mas.