PDA

View Full Version : Which router???

Michael Watts
12-31-2007, 3:30 PM
I just received a new router table, and was looking to purchase a router lift. My original plans were to someday purchase a 3 1/2 hp router, and (as finances allowed) get the lift. This I would have to do over time, because I'm not going to have $600 to drop on the two any time soon. I own a 2 1/4 hp (DW 618), which is only a year old. Last year at the Woodworking Show, one of the guys doing demonstrations said that 2 1/4 was plenty of power to do rails and stiles--I would just need to do a couple of passes for the raised panel. So I thought, rather that wait and drop the big bucks, maybe I'll just buy the lift for the 2 1/4, and I can be routing right away. The question is....will I be sorry I didn't go with the bigger router? The smaller lift is not compatible if I decide I need the bigger router. I don't want to buy the bigger lift (and extra for the adaptor) to use with my 2 1/4, and give up the tool free removal option of the smaller lift. My neighbor just made all of his kitchen cabinets, and he told me that I really needed the bigger router for raised panels. He said he still made at least two passes with his 3 1/2. He further stated that for the lower rpm used for cutting the raised panels, you need the tork of the bigger router. I am only a hobbiest, and will likely make only a couple of projects per year, but reaching retirement, where I will have more time to devote to woodworking. My neighor told me I should get a second opinion.

So I'm asking...Will I be happy enough with the smaller router, or should I just wait and aquire the bigger pieces over time???

Thanks Mike

Wade Lippman
12-31-2007, 3:52 PM
With my Bosch 1617 it takes maybe 6 passes to make raised panels.
I am getting a larger router.

However, it does rails and stiles just fine in a single pass.

Scott Velie
12-31-2007, 4:02 PM
I have a Triton 3-1/2 hp in my router table and I never seem to make it breathe hard even raising panels. It might be overkill .

The variable speed is the key. Most large (3' or bigger) panel bits should not run at 20,000 rpm, they have to be turned down.

The 2-1/4 hp Triton does not need a lift. It is adjustable from above the table.

It was a pretty big investment but I would do it again.

Scott

Cliff Rohrabacher
12-31-2007, 4:05 PM
The Triton 3.25HP router needs no lift.
It's on sale.

Todd Bin
12-31-2007, 4:08 PM
I have the big 3 1/2 HP PC router in a router lift. I still do the raised panel in three passes. I could do it in two but you really need one "hog off the wood" pass and one easy clean up pass for a smooth surface. If I do two passes then it is 80% then 20% if three then 30%, 60%, 10%. A lot of that would depend on the wood.

But I digress. The most important feature is variable speed. You can not make raised panels safely without it.

Another thing I have learned. Don't buy the smaller router lift if you think there might even be a chance you are going to get the bigger router. That would result in a big loss of $$$. Instead get a 3 1/2 HP plunge router like the Bosch or Triton that can be mounted to your table. Both have a lead screw for adjusting the height of the bit. Then some time later you can get a router lift to fit that router. Just make sure there is a router lift you like for the router you buy. I bought the woodpecker lift.

Good Luck.

George Bregar
12-31-2007, 4:38 PM
The Triton 3.25HP router needs no lift.
It's on sale. Where on sale?

Greg Just
12-31-2007, 4:51 PM
I have the PC 7539 mounted in a table and it can handle anything. For my everyday needs, I have the Makita RF1101 Router Kit which can either be a fixed base or plunge router.

John Seiffer
12-31-2007, 4:56 PM
Where on sale?
http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=4519&mode=instructions#tabs
$214.99 and free shipping at woodcraft

Michael Watts
01-02-2008, 11:06 AM
I just wanted to thank everyone for their input. I'm still deciding on what to do--though I won't be buying the smaller router lift. Thanks again

scott spencer
01-02-2008, 11:31 AM
I've raised panels with my big Freud FT2000, big MW5625, and smaller Freud FT1700. The bigger routers have an easier time, but if you're only doing a few panels you don't need a bigger router. The 1700 will do it in about 3 passes depending on the wood, and I'm sure your DW will too.