PDA

View Full Version : alignment issues with PC 4212 dovetail jig

jason moyer
12-31-2007, 1:38 PM
Has anyone had any problems with the PC4212 dovetail jig. I bought one a while ago and finally got around to trying it out. The problem I am having is that when I assemble the box the top edge of the pieces does not line up. In each corner where the pieces meet there is about 1/16" step which continues around the box in a counter clockwise direction. At first I thought maybe the sides were not cut square but I recut some pieces and tried again with the same results. Could there be a problem with the template? It is very frustrating. I hope this makes sense.

Steve Clardy
12-31-2007, 2:09 PM
Did you adjust the stop bracket on the left side front?

Porter Cable has better detailed instructions on their website that you can download. Better than the supplied instructions.

Brian Penning
12-31-2007, 2:09 PM
If I'm understanding you correctly I think you don't have the pieces exactly centred with the same amount of wood protruding on each side of the fingers. If they aren't centred then when you flip the piece around there'll be some offset.
I usually build my sides oversized and then cut them on the tablesaw.
I hope THIS makes sense.

Todd Hoppe
12-31-2007, 3:13 PM
I had the same isue yesterday when using the same jig. I simply had to adjust the offset stop (on the left front, it adjusts with a hex wrench) very carefully.

My issue is that no matter how tight I get the joint, there is always a very slim gap between the ends of the tails and the front and back of the drawer....

Dave Mac Millan
01-01-2008, 9:00 AM
I had the same problem with my 4210 the first time I used the left guide on the jig. I switched to the right side and it seems to work fine. I am going to take the guides off and measure them against each other and see if they are the same offset.