PDA

View Full Version : Anyone see " Live Free or Die Hard"?

Michael Gibbons
12-31-2007, 1:08 PM
The scenario could possibly happen. Could you cope without digital technology?

Chuck Wintle
12-31-2007, 1:21 PM
The scenario could possibly happen. Could you cope without digital technology?

Yes I saw the movie but I don't think the scenario would ever happen IMHO. Trying to live without digital technology now would be like living without the wheel. :D

glenn bradley
12-31-2007, 1:39 PM
Got it for Xmas. Techno-terrorism should be a real concern. For another scarey look at it read Jim Patterson's 'Black Friday'. Like many totally accepted technologies like say, the automobile, we grow to expect things to work. What is your immediate reaction if you ever pick up the telephone and there is no dial tone?

At 52 I have never lived without a telephone somewhere in the world. I did however get to experience the move to color TV and stereo sound. Something I always remind folks of at work since we primarily handle data networking and security; If someone's network access is down, they're ticked off. If they pick up the phone to call for help and have no dial tone, they're REALLY ticked off.

Remember IP voice, like cell phones and wireless data, are convenience technologies. They are closing in but as of yet can't touch the 99.999% availability of the Ma Bell we grew up with. I'm not waving the telco flag necessarily, just acknowledging a great accomplishment that is taken for granted. Then there's the undersung Post Office . . . etc, etc.

Techno-terrorism . . . you better believe it. The right people could whack the U.S. economy and cause some serious and long ranging impact. Not to the degree portrayed in the movie (notice it was an inside job) but still . . spookey.

Michael Gibbons
12-31-2007, 1:47 PM
Yes I saw the movie but I don't think the scenario would ever happen IMHO. Trying to live without digital technology now would be like living without the wheel. :D

Yeah, and we never thought that we could have a terrorist attack on our soil either. Just think of all those little " I hate the world" hackers out there in some dark little room purposely coming up with viruses to infect the internet? What happens when you call for help and no one is there?

Cliff Rohrabacher
12-31-2007, 4:15 PM
Yah saw it. No it's not possible. Not any of it. The whole movie is pure fantasy.

You can hack a computer or server here or there. You can not hack everything all at once. Hell you can't even hack all of a large city all at once.

The military is more highly defended than just about anything. For them, money is no obstacle.

Mark Rios
12-31-2007, 4:26 PM
Yah saw it. No it's not possible. Not any of it. The whole movie is pure fantasy.

You can hack a computer or server here or there. You can not hack everything all at once. Hell you can't even hack all of a large city all at once.

The military is more highly defended than just about anything. For them, money is no obstacle.

Sorry Cliff but I have to vehemently disagree with you. I and my friends (Mainly them) do or have worked in fields of very high security technology. While we don't feel that it would be as (relatively) easy as in the movie, it is still possible given the right equipment, people and circumstances. The threat is VERY real and people should prepare themselves for it or something like it.

Incidentally, I now just happen to sell and build computer systems and safe houses and safe rooms for this kind of attack. I can make all of the Creekers a great deal. Just call me at (719) 555-4629...that's (719) 555-HOAX.

;)

Mitchell Andrus
12-31-2007, 4:41 PM
If the people who made these systems can't get them to do what they want, how would a college drop-out do it from the back of a truck... without being trained first.

Screw with it, yes. Take total command... not a chance.

Gary Keedwell
12-31-2007, 5:25 PM
Man, nobody is talking about the movie. Can you believe the stupid stunts in that movie. I know it is only a movie but really..and Bruce Willis is about 80 years old, to boot.:eek::D
Gary

John Schreiber
12-31-2007, 5:55 PM
I haven't seen the movie, but this is something to be concerned about. The real worry isn't some brilliant kid with issues.

The worry is a foreign power (China? Russia?) gaining control over the Internet itself and to systems connected to the Internet. They could gain that control slowly without anyone knowing, then they could act on all of it at once. Kind of like slowly making up a set of master keys so they have access, but they haven't done anything yet.

The power grid and just about everything else is controlled through the Internet now. Turning off Internet access is one thing they could do, but they could also do physical damage to systems like generators and chemical plants and who knows what.

I understand that the US has people working on offensive and defensive cyber-warfare. This is a real concern.

Matt Mutus
12-31-2007, 7:41 PM
I saw the movie and I thought it was the best die hard since the first one. 2 thumbs up from me.

RE: tech related security issues:

IMO, By far the biggest security risks in computer networks is not outside hackers, rather it is the very people who are entrusted with the authorization to gain access and control them.

With today's technology, it is really not feasible for some bad guys to sit back and remotely take control of highly critical networks. Not saying nothing like that could never happen, but the effort-to-effectiveness ratio makes it pretty a futile endeavor, especially when you factor in frequent automated network changes designed to prevent and discourage these things.

However, no matter how air-tight a network is, it usually still comes back to one simple fact - there are people out there already holding keys to the castle... people who could do damage fairly easily. Some persons have to be trusted, and that is a far more dangerous and glaring exploit than anything computer related.

Network security threats in order of severity:

1) Authorized personnel

2) Bad guy gaining physical access to network facility

3) Bad guy gaining remote access to network (very distant 3rd)

my 2 bits

Mitchell Andrus
01-01-2008, 2:07 AM
China needs us alive and well.... for the day that they'll come and demand Los Angeles in exchange for 1/20 of the debt we owe them.

A grand-scale game of Monopoly is underway, and we're loosing. We're selling off Marvin Gardens to pay the mortgages on Orient and Baltic.

The next "Great War" won't be over oil, it'll be over international debt. Just wait.

They take our markers in exchange for trinkets we eventually send to the landfills. What a waste.

Cliff Rohrabacher
01-01-2008, 11:29 AM
Sorry Cliff but I have to vehemently disagree with you.

Is there a difference between disagreeing and doing so vehemently? Reminds me of that line in "A few Good Men" When Demi was objecting and the judge told her he was not ruling her way sooo~~~.

At any rate I understand that having a financial investment in a particular version of events might influence one's thinking.

Mark Rios
01-01-2008, 12:19 PM
Is there a difference between disagreeing and doing so vehemently? Reminds me of that line in "A few Good Men" When Demi was objecting and the judge told her he was not ruling her way sooo~~~.

At any rate I understand that having a financial investment in a particular version of events might influence one's thinking.

Was I too subtle in my sarcasm? Just to be clear, I was agreeing with you Cliff, just in a satirical manner. I was hoping that my phone number would give it away. :D:D:D

I'll have to add more smilies next time. :D

Marc Prudhomme
01-01-2008, 12:23 PM
I love how the fighter jet hovered between the highway bridges like something Luke friggin Skywalker would of flown...LOL

David Epperson
01-01-2008, 12:28 PM
Decent action flick. The movies "The Net" and "Hackers" covered the subject before. But it made for some OK entertainment.

Pat Germain
01-01-2008, 12:46 PM
^^ I've worked in the IT business for over 15 years. When those movies were released, the actual Internet was abuzz with uproarious laughter and gufaws at the absolute absurdity portrayed.

In fact, someone hacked the "Hackers" web site and 'spray-painted' the word "NOT!" across it.

There are genuine security issues with Internet servers. However, the issues you see in movies are pure fantasy and nothing more.

Jason Roehl
01-01-2008, 12:58 PM
Nothing a few well-placed EMPs couldn't do.

I do think we are the frog in China's pot of slowly warming water. We're so fixated on our own service economy that we've forgotten (overall) how to produce. Sure, many of us here on this site have the skills and abilities to make things or maybe garden, things like that, but how many in this country don't? I'm sure it's a rapidly growing number. Our focus is on producing comfort, not on producing the basics--shelter, food and clothing.

Our whole system, whether it's the power grid, the Internet, Air Traffic Control, etc. has some pretty notable weak points. One breech here or there isn't an issue, but a coordinated attack? Remember the power outage in the NE a few years back...

Randal Stevenson
01-01-2008, 1:13 PM
I saw the movie on Christmas day. My first problem, when the lights were "hacked" and all changed to green, A police officer, goes off, leaving a fully automatic weapon, unsecured in the back of a police vehicle with at least one broken window. Entertaining, but very unrealistic.

Notice they had to hit substations seperately, and things like the stock market, traffic signals, power facilities, etc. are all required to be on seperate, SECURED, networks. While there is the scare (based on peoples fears, lack of computer intelligence, lack of personal security, etc), it would take LOT's of Kevin Mitnicks (the guy who when arrested was not allowed to dial the phone, because "he could start a nuclear war with the telephone" baloney) and a lot of bots (which are used in a botnet fashion against financial targets, like overseas gambling).
If attacked on such a massive scale, being in part the USA's control and design on the internet (more to the point our part), our oversea's central connections would be shut down, etc....

John Shuk
01-01-2008, 5:34 PM
Yup I saw it. Lots of action but way too many outrageous scenarios.