PDA

View Full Version : Question's about brass screws.

Michael Gibbons
12-31-2007, 12:11 PM
I'm going to be building a cabinet and will be using solid brass screws to mount the hinges. I do know that I will have to drill a pilot hole ( which size? ) and I 've heard that I should find a wood screw made out of steel to pre-thread the hole. My question is : Do all wood screws of the same size use the same pitch/thread shape? Also, I want all the slots in the screws to line up when I'm done. Is there an easy way to insure this happens?

Gary Keedwell
12-31-2007, 12:24 PM
I'm going to be building a cabinet and will be using solid brass screws to mount the hinges. I do know that I will have to drill a pilot hole ( which size? ) and I 've heard that I should find a wood screw made out of steel to pre-thread the hole. My question is : Do all wood screws of the same size use the same pitch/thread shape? Also, I want all the slots in the screws to line up when I'm done. Is there an easy way to insure this happens?
They have charts for pilot holes but I usually just measure with dial calipers or just hold up a bit and eye-ball the size. I also use vix centering bits for centering my holes . I bought a set of these in a leather pouch a few years ago and keep it in my drill systaner.( # 6 #8 # 10)
The threads in the steel and brass version should be close enough.
Gary

Mike Cutler
12-31-2007, 12:31 PM
The pilot hole will be determined by the screw size. However, in really dense hardwoods you may have to go a size larger.

Woodscrew sizes, pitch and TPI are standard. For example; A #6 steel screw will make a nice "pre-tapped hole for a #6 brass screw. The length is important though. Use the same length screw.

There is a set of tools called "Gimlets" these are the woodscrew equivalent of a machine screw tap. They are used to pre thread a woodscrew hole.

The easiest way to index the slots in the screw is to pre-tap the hole about a 1/2 turn less than full engagement. This way the last half turn or so can be made with your brass screw. It takes a little trial and error.

Tip. Do not use the brass screws available at a Home Depot, or a Lowes. They are really soft. Buy quality brass screws.

Lee Schierer
12-31-2007, 12:53 PM
Not all wood screws use the same pitch, but the steel screws should match close enoguh. You do want to drill a pilot hole and apply beeswax (not parafin or soap) to the threads before you screw in the brass screws. You can also do it on the steel screws. Beeswax will lubricate the threads and the screw will require far less effort to drive it home. Just be careful with the brass screws as the will twist off rather easily, usually just below the wood surface. DAMHIKT

Size the drill by eye to be about the same size as the diameter of the thread root. When is doubt drill a hole in a piece of scrap and try it with the screws.

There is no easy way you will get the slots to align. Screw threads are somewhat random to the slots and you can't control where the thread first start to bite into the wood. Leaving screws loose or too tight will both lead to problems. Philips head slots would be 50% easier to align. You could drill oversize holes and fill them with epoxy and then just push in the screws with the slots all aligned if appearance is that critical.