PDA

View Full Version : Tools and woodworking shows

Richard Magbanua
12-31-2007, 12:06 PM
Hello and happy New Year!!!
I'm looking forward to the woodworking show later next month in Indianapolis. It just so happens to come at a time when I am wanting to invest in some quality hand planes. So far I have refurbished two Stanley #5's, a #4, #3, and a #60-1/2. I have a decent sharpening setup and have gotten much better at it. I am looking to purchase from either Veritas or Lie-Nielsen. I consider myself still new to woodworking and newer to using hand tools. I work on general projects ranging from jewelry boxes to dressers.

So, I have two questions for you.

As far as planes go, which one or two would I be best to get? Maybe replace one of my existing ones or get a different one like a shoulder plane or router plane? At this point I'm not so much interested in replacing my power tool usage than to compliment it so getting a jointer plane may be for much later.

How are the prices at these shows compared to buying them online at Lee Valley or Woodcraft for the LN's? It seems woodcraft runs specials like free gift cards etc. This may be more out of curiosity because, either way, if I see something at the show I like it'll find its way into a box and bag and on its way home.

Thank you all for the responses and have a happy New Year!!!

Jim Koepke
12-31-2007, 12:48 PM
As far as planes go, which one or two would I be best to get? Maybe replace one of my existing ones or get a different one like a shoulder plane or router plane? At this point I'm not so much interested in replacing my power tool usage than to compliment it so getting a jointer plane may be for much later.

If the current planes work well, then replacing them serves no purpose other than to put money into circulation.
A shoulder plane may be helpful for some of your joinery.
A router plane may also be helpful for making dados and such. It could also be useful if you are considering doing inlay.
One thing to consider might be to imagine while working what tool might help make your work easier.
If you have not found this site: http://www.supertool.com/StanleyBG/stan0a.html
you might want to look and see what the different planes are all about.
It only has planes by Stanley, but it can give a feel for what was available and how they were used. This may be a help for you to find the gaps in your shop that you can then fill.

Have fun,

Jim

"Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right."
- Henry Ford (1863-1947)

Wilbur Pan
12-31-2007, 12:53 PM
The prices at the shows may not me much better than what you can find on the internet -- typically what I've found is that you can get free shipping for orders placed at the show.

But the big advantage of going to the show is that Lee Valley and Lie Nielsen typically have setups where you can try out the planes yourself.

Given your list, if you are happy with your current planes, and if you REALLY don't want a jointer plane, I'd vote for a shoulder plane, then a router plane instead of replacing the ones you have.