PDA

View Full Version : Fountain Pen

Mark Hulette
02-24-2004, 8:33 PM
Several weeks ago I posted a question regarding which fountain pen would be a high quality kit for a special present. Attached is a picture of the finished product.

It's a Jr. Gentleman's Platinum fountain pen made from a stabilized York Gum burl (ala Bill Baumbeck). This is the first picture of one of my pens that I've done in a "studio setting" so please be gentle! ;) It's taken from a 35mm scan so I didn't get the lighting exactly right. Thanks for the pointers and thanks for looking!

Mark Stutz
02-24-2004, 8:46 PM
That is impressive! I regularly use a fountain pen and would proudly display and use this one. I can only hope to match this some day.

Dick Parr
02-24-2004, 9:27 PM
Very Nice Mark!

John Miliunas
02-24-2004, 9:36 PM
Nice pen, Mark! I've not had enough guts to get that advanced on the pen scene. One of these days.... Your's is truly inspirational! :cool:

Kent Cori
02-24-2004, 11:53 PM
Outstanding! That is one beautiful pen. :)

Mark Hulette
02-25-2004, 4:30 AM
Thanks for the compliments, guys! I reposted a little bit larger pic. Don't want to get too big or you'll see all my goofs! :o

I've been busy with the Freedom Pens project but don't have enough finished to post anything yet. Hopefully, I'll have some more "free" time soon to get those out...

Thanks for looking~

Walt Pater
02-25-2004, 5:45 AM
Mark, nice pen. I have a question about the hardware/nib/guts of it- who manufactures those items to sell to the pen turner? My father collects fountain pens, has several hundred from old Sheaffers to newer Mont Blancs and Watermans. If I were to turn a pen (need to get that lathe first), where would I get the high-quality innards, as well as clips and bands, etc. for it?

Mark Hulette
02-25-2004, 1:03 PM
Walt,
There are several suppliers for fountain pen kits like the one I turned. The Jr Gentleman's kit comes from Craft Supplies USA (www.woodturnerscatalog.com). Request one of their catalogs and you'll be amazed at what they offer! I've been very pleased with their quality and customer service. There are others that have fountain pen kits: Berea Hardwoods and Penn State Industries are just a couple. Good luck and if you have any questions, there are a ton of folks around that can help you out.