How is the eBay thing going?

Are they keeping you busy? of course I now we are

Jerry Stringer
02-25-2004, 12:30 AM
How is the eBay thing going?

Are they keeping you busy? of course I now we are

Hey Julie!

Actually, no . .

The first listing ran out with a totol of 48 sponsorships. I relisted it and put it on two separate categories (woodturning and a military collector category) and it fizzled. I've only received one from this last listing and it's about to expire.

I did get an email from a gentleman who is a veteran was was partially paralyzed awhile back in an accident. He wanted to sponsor a pen but also wanted to ask questions about pen turning. He said he wanted to use pen turning to supplement his income and had just bought a lathe but was waiting to save up some money for tools, supplies, etc.

I told him not to sponsor the single pen, but to get involved and do some pens for the troops himself. I directed him to this forum and told him we could probably rake up some stuff for him to use. I also told him we could get him some free kits if he would do the pens for the troops and I would send him some blanks.

I haven't heard back from him yet, though.

Time to start thinking outside the box again!

Actually . . . I AM working on another angle! I mentioned that the high school where I'm the resource officer is getting involved. I've talked with the Interact Club (like a junior Rotary club), the ROTC, the Junior Chamber Ambassadors (chamber of commerce), and the student council. They are all excited about it and will be selling sponsorships through the school and to friends and family.

The Burleson Rotary Club is getting a big banner made and I have permission from the principal and from my sergeant to kick off the program at the school by taking a mini-lathe to school and demonstrating pen-making during all 3 lunch periods (we have almost 2200 students in the building!!). That should be fun!

I'm really proud of these kids . . . I suggested that the groups have a friendly competition between them to sell sponsorships and we could have prizes for the kids who got the most. Every group told me that they didn't want to do that because their groups were SUPPOSED to do community service and they didn't want to take prizes for doing it! Pretty good kids (well, except for the one I arrested today but that's another story!).

I'll keep you posted!

Thanks!

Jerry