PDA

View Full Version : Bending Ply at Big Box Stores (Funny)

Todd Bin
12-31-2007, 8:40 AM
I have seen several people post on the poor quality of ply at the big box stores. Well, yesterday I came across some high quality ply suitable for bentwood lamination work. I couldn't resist the temptation to take a picture. So enjoy.

Matt Meiser
12-31-2007, 8:55 AM
Wow you guys get the good stuff. At our Lowes it would bend back and forth at least twice along the length and once across the width. There was a stack of about 6 sheets of 1/4" underlayment that was at least 12" high--no joke.

David Weaver
12-31-2007, 8:56 AM
Plytanium? what a stupid brand name. Sorry to be negative, but I think that trying to play a word association game between titanium and cheap plywood is just stupid.

Greg Cole
12-31-2007, 9:54 AM
Gee and I waste time cutting kerfs in mine to make it bend....:cool:

If you walk around and look in the overheads, you can see bundles of it that are totally warped from either poor base support (ie lake of a real load carrying pallet, or from the substandard quality.... or both).

Greg

Jim O'Dell
12-31-2007, 9:58 AM
Hey, that's just the top one that's supposed to shed rainfall, or roof leaks :eek:. It's not for sale! :D Jim.

Steve Clardy
12-31-2007, 12:15 PM
That looks better than some of the ply in my rack now.

Borgs aren't the only ones selling junk ply.

Luis Oliveira
12-31-2007, 12:20 PM
Now see I have to agree with Steve. This is what is some business it is call new improve processes that supposed to make it cheaper- faster to produce and therefore cheaper for consumers...

Matt Meiser
12-31-2007, 1:53 PM
Plytanium? what a stupid brand name. Sorry to be negative, but I think that trying to play a word association game between titanium and cheap plywood is just stupid.

They use that name because there's so much junk metal in it. :rolleyes:

Dell Littlefield
12-31-2007, 3:05 PM
I caught a segment of Bob Vila's show last night. He was visiting a modular home factory. One his guides pointed out they were using the plytanium plywood for floor underlayment. He said it was because it would accept any type of final floor surface treatment. That was the first I had heard of this product.

Craig Kershaw
12-31-2007, 10:33 PM
Used some plywood like that to make the runners for the sled the cub scouts used in the Klondike Derby. Curves up nice in the front, no need to steam.

Adam Burgess
01-01-2008, 1:06 AM
todd, if you think thats bad, next time i'm at the hd across the freeway from me, i'll take a pic of 3 to 4 sheets in worse shape than the one pictured stacked on top of each other.