PDA

View Full Version : Steady Rest Wheels?

Richard Madison
12-30-2007, 10:23 PM
Requesting suggestions for source (besides Xmart) of good but reasonably priced (high speed) roller blade wheels and bearings for steady rest. The bearings of my 25+ year-old skate wheels are excessively worn. The little girl who used the skates originally is a grown woman with children of her own.

Kevin McPeek
12-30-2007, 10:36 PM
I got a set of 8 clear wheels with bearings from ebay for like $10. Don't get black wheels or they may leave you with with a ring around your part that you hadn't intended.

Bernie Weishapl
12-30-2007, 10:47 PM
I bought the whole in line skate shoe for $14.95 at Target for mine. Made a large one and small one from those.

CW McClellan
12-30-2007, 11:41 PM
I got a nice set of rollerblades at the flea market for $5 --went by also Hospice Thrift store they had nice ones for $5 --most of the Thrift stores have them and in very good shape and price --It also helps them out --while you're there check out the glass ware ect, that can be used like lamp chimneys and small things to add to the finished turnings --

Brian Brown
12-31-2007, 12:46 AM
I agree with Bernie. I bought a childs skates at Target for $14.00, and got 8 wheels. Use the wheels, throw away the skates. It works very well, and for the price you can afford to change the wheels and bearings periodically.

Brian

Rick Gifford
12-31-2007, 9:06 AM
I got my wheels at the local skate rink. One wheel might go bad and all wheels on both shoes get changed. Just ask and get them free. They end up in the trash anyway and work great for a steady rest.

Richard Madison
01-01-2008, 12:10 AM
Thanks to all for your replies. We donated a pickup load and small trailer load of stuff to the local thrift store (left over from the "downsizing" sale), and I didn't even think of looking there. Will give that a try first. Also need to buy back some stuff that I didn't know was being donated.

Tim Malyszko
01-01-2008, 9:46 AM
Sorry to highjack the thread, but speaking of Steady Rests, I need to make one. Does anyone have suggestions on some good plans to go off of?

Thanks.

robert hainstock
01-01-2008, 10:58 AM
Steve Schlumpf and I both made steadies this summer. his is rather elaboate, and mine is a simple box frame. We gor the idea from somebodies web site. Yoou might start by googling steady rest. I'm going to try to insert pix of our two. His is the one that looks like a disjointed spider. Good luck! :)
Bob78332

Rick Gifford
01-01-2008, 3:07 PM
Sorry to highjack the thread, but speaking of Steady Rests, I need to make one. Does anyone have suggestions on some good plans to go off of?
Thanks.

I am thinking I have some plans in file format I can email to you if you'd like. I'll look when I get home.

Richard Madison
01-01-2008, 10:24 PM
No problem Tim. Mine is welded up from steel angle, but have no drawing. Just measured, cut, and welded. Not very elegant, but reasonably effective.

Jon Lanier
01-01-2008, 10:35 PM
When dealing with skating wheels I'm not sure which would be better (soft to hard). But the bearing probably ought to be sealed bearings. When I skated a lot I used open bearing but that was because I cleaned and lubed my bearings for "faster" rolling. But with all the dust flying... make sure they are sealed bearings.

Just a thought.:o

charlie knighton
01-02-2008, 4:07 AM
you can buy the just the wheels from oneway, they are the same wheels that they use on their steady rest, not cheap but excellant wheels that are designed for turning wood:D

Rick Gifford
01-02-2008, 11:39 AM
When dealing with skating wheels I'm not sure which would be better (soft to hard). But the bearing probably ought to be sealed bearings. When I skated a lot I used open bearing but that was because I cleaned and lubed my bearings for "faster" rolling. But with all the dust flying... make sure they are sealed bearings.

Just a thought.:o

Y'know I actually didnt even think about that. Actually a good point. I guess if you happen to have exposed bearings you can tape over them to hold out the dust if nothing else. Now I have to go look at mine...

Richard Madison
01-02-2008, 9:28 PM
Right, Jon. Definitely want sealed bearings.

Of course One Way stuff is top of the line, and for those who can afford top of the line, go get it and good for you.

To paraphrase the Stones, you can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you can get what you need. Or maybe that was a quote.