PDA

View Full Version : Faceplate Wobble Concern...

Derek Arita
02-24-2004, 8:07 PM
I have just purchased one of those nice, anodized, aluminum faceplates. When I mounted it to my lathe and turned the lathe on, I could see that there is a slight offset to the faceplate that will make the workpiece off center. Question is, will this just even out in the turning or should I be concerned with it?

Derek Arita
02-24-2004, 9:37 PM
Maybe wooble is the wrong word. It's more like the faceplate is off center, like a cam. Rise and fall are small, but when it's turning, it is noticable.

John Miliunas
02-24-2004, 9:51 PM
Maybe wooble is the wrong word. It's more like the faceplate is off center, like a cam. Rise and fall are small, but when it's turning, it is noticable.

Hey Derek, you've got an eccentric chuck and didn't even know it! :D OK. Never mind. Anyhow, I'd take it back. I think someone in QA missed that one! And from what I recall, those things aren't cheap, compared to the regular steel ones. Among other things, even if the holes are centered in respect to the center hole, it could still bring an unbalanced feel to the whole piece you're working. Just MHO, of course... :cool: