PDA

View Full Version : Another TV Woodworker name

Frank Orzehoski
12-30-2007, 8:00 PM
I have read the various posts on Norm and David Marks. What do you think about Scott Phillps? Is he still even on? The one thing I remember most about him was he loved to use Gorilla Glue (maybe they were sponors?). Some of his stuff was good, others, so so. JMHO.

Paul Girouard
12-30-2007, 8:20 PM
What do you think about Scott Phillps?

Is he still even on?

I've never seen the Marks guy , I did catch Scott Phillips yesterday and The NYWS on PBS here in the PNW.

Scott's ,in my mind , I don't know not bad , just different . His work is OK , mostly it's his on air style that's just well weird to me , more like he's forcing it / to "studied " up afraid to say it wrong , or "scripted", like he's reading it , I guess , rather than "Knowing it" , if that make sense.

Lee Koepke
12-30-2007, 8:39 PM
David Marks is pretty good.

IMO, he does really nice work, although sometimes (because of time constraints?) he seems to hurry the work.

His more recent shows have been better about that.

Gary Keedwell
12-30-2007, 8:41 PM
David Marks is pretty good.

IMO, he does really nice work, although sometimes (because of time constraints?) he seems to hurry the work.

His more recent shows have been better about that.
Recent shows? He hasn't taped a show for around 4 years and he only did about 3 years worth of taping.
Gary

Lee Koepke
12-30-2007, 8:49 PM
Recent shows? He hasn't taped a show for around 4 years and he only did about 3 years worth of taping.
Gary
:eek: recent reruns ???

I didnt watch his shows before......they are new to me ???

Joe Spear
12-30-2007, 9:26 PM
Through one of the other forums, you could see a David Marks on-line interview a few months ago. Each of his half-hour shows took about 100 hours to produce and tape. The only reason his shows might seem hurried is because so much had to be shown in so little time. The DIY Network is still running the old shows on Saturday nights. Up until last year they were on at 8 a.m. five days a week. There may be about 13 shows in the can that were never even shown, but I'm not sure about that.

Brodie Brickey
12-30-2007, 9:32 PM
You'll find David Marks on the DIY Network. He works with more exotics than Norm. His methodologies are also quite different. I watch Norm a lot, but I've never seen him cut double tapers for table legs. Marks did it in an interesting way using the bandsaw and taping the cut piece back together to make the second cut instead of using the table saw.

Mortise tenon done with a router table and a plunge router instead of a tenoning jig. He had a tool chest project where he cuts dovetails on the bandsaw which was well worth it.

With Marks a lot of his work is geared towards repeatability, grain matching and design. The projects are also very contemporary.

He also skips showing you how to dimension lumber and some of the other 'basics'. So you really only get the highlights of the design, tips and tricks.

The two fill different needs in the list of hopefully growing woodworking shows.

Greg Just
12-30-2007, 10:07 PM
The David Marks interview is episode #24

http://thewoodwhisperer.com/

It is interesting.

Scott Kilroy
12-30-2007, 10:08 PM
I like his show but I got the feeling (at least in binging) that he wasn't very comfortable in front of the camera. From what I understand he didn't have a ton of control over the show its self so maybe that's what was coming across. Marks work seemed a lot more artistic but also a lot harder to learn from.

Dick Strauss
12-30-2007, 10:27 PM
Frank,
Scott Phillips and his wife used to have a home improvement/building show IIRC. Scott is still on locally every once in a while. Our local Bowling Green PBS station is his producer so that may have something to do it with it. I guess he is on season 14? You can watch full length episodes on the site linked below.

Here is some more info...
http://wbgu.org/americanwoodshop/aboutsp.html

Eric McGill
12-30-2007, 10:48 PM
I like watching David Marks, but the number of "so far" recaps drives me insane. I think they would have more time to demonstrate and the show would flow better, if they only had one recap towards the end.

I'll DVR any woodworking show I can get my hands on. I recorded a bunch of Woodcarving episodes and they were really interesting. Each episode focuses on a different person and their craft. They tend to be eccentric, very into what they are doing and very talented. Always something different.

Brodie Brickey
12-30-2007, 10:52 PM
I like his show but I got the feeling (at least in binging) that he wasn't very comfortable in front of the camera. From what I understand he didn't have a ton of control over the show its self so maybe that's what was coming across. Marks work seemed a lot more artistic but also a lot harder to learn from.

I agree, David Marks doesn't look real comfortable on TV, and I've heard the same about the control over the show.

Ed Brady
12-30-2007, 11:00 PM
I did some searches on TitanTV and didn't find woodworking shows. What are folks watching? I'd appreciate some ideas of what is good to watch. I have found the Woodwhisperer and found some other useful things on line, but not on TV.

Thanks,

Ed

Ken Fitzgerald
12-31-2007, 1:03 AM
David Marks was shown here on HGTV for 1 season.....He is inspiring and educational....I learned to think outside the box on materials and methods.

Scott Phillips...His ww show was on the air here for a couple of years. Then the show of him and his wife building their new home. His shows were much more basic than Norms TOH and NYW or David Mark's show.

Norm's NYW....It's been around the longest and probably is considered the standard by which other's are measured. Thorough......basic.....broad spectrum......more geared for beginners and traditional materials and methods.

They all three are good learning tools. Some traditional....some inspirational.....but all educational. All have their own niche IMHO.