PDA

View Full Version : Engraving a Moleskine Notebook

Paul Proffitt
12-30-2007, 7:57 PM
Among the new things I needed to engrave over the holiday season was a Moleskine notebook belonging to my son. The design was designed by my son as well.

Settings: Epilog Legend 24TT 45 Watt - 600 DPI Raster speed:100%
Power: 25% for lines and text
Power: 20% for blocks and other larger areas

FYI: Vertical lines must be thicker than 1 pt or they basically don't show up.

http://www.WhisperedImages.com/images/stories/EngravingGallery/MoleskineNotebook-sm.jpg (http://www.WhisperedImages.com/images/stories/EngravingGallery/MoleskineNotebook.jpg)

Paul Proffitt
Suwanee, GA
Epilog Legend 24TT 45 Watt, Corel X3, Illustrator CS, and various other stuff

Bill Cunningham
12-30-2007, 8:53 PM
Looks nice!! I wonder how many of those tiny little moles they had to skin to make that!!.. :D

I find leather of most types engraves beautifully.. One of those types of materials that will take a halftone directly, not needing photograv..

Mike Null
12-31-2007, 8:30 AM
Paul

The design is great. Your son is talented.

I thought moleskin was a tightly woven cotton fabric. Your book looks like it's leather. What is it?

Whoops, I thought your spelling was wrong but it is not so I was confused about the material though I still don't know what it is.

Ricky Gore
12-31-2007, 12:34 PM
I think a line 1pt or thinner tells the machine to vector cut. You probably only had raster selected instead of combined. Good thing too, or you might have slits in the cover instead of lines. If I'm wrong about this, just put me in my place, I'm a newbie. :)

Looks very nice by the way.

Rodne Gold
12-31-2007, 4:42 PM
Moleskine notebooks are a type/style of notebook , used by past artistic and other luminaries. Most dont use "moleskin" binders or indeed any other leather binder. The ones we have lasered have had some sort of pressed board/faux binders , looking similar to the pic shown.
They seem inordinately expensive for what they are, well at least in my country they are.